Jeff Spicoli

What Are You Cooking?

Mmm tonight we are having a homemade rolled loin of pork, stuffed with minced fruit, macadamia nuts and prunes, with baked kumara, potato and pumpkin with apple sauce... followed by baked cinnamon apples and custard :D

All being cooked in the metters stove out in the shed :D Smells delicious already.

/Jumps last into the pool splashing everyone

Tonight, treasures from the deep!

For starters, oysters natural in lemon juice and peckings of salmon sashimi with wasabi soy sauce.

Abundant baby octopus marinaded in several lemons, red chilis, garlic, pepper, Spanish onion and balsamic vinegar.

All on a bed of crispy cos lettuce.

Plenty of poppyseed Vienna bread to go with the sedentary grape juice.

I grabbed half a pineapple and have strawberries and yoghurt should I need something after to sweeten my bitterness.

Mind you, I love the lingering smell of chili and garlic on your hands :)

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Want! Want!

More details on what you're doing with the octopi. Are you cooking them or 'cooking' them in the marinade?

PS That sounds interesting too Sap love, but I prefer fish to meat ;-)

Not exactly cooking atm... at a lan...

Pizza's, pies and lots of coke... :D

(and mixers... take a swig outa a can of coke, top up with kahlua. :D)

Trevally, with char-grilled Mediterranean vegetables.

Was supposed to be Swordfish, but was late to the market today.

CSIRO cookbook has been getting a good workout at our place lately.

Too late :( Next time Gadget...

I wondered how you could get more flavour on octopus when you're cooking it.

I don't want to drown the BBQ.

My grandparents had the best lemon tree.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/Jismette/DSC01399.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/Jismette/DSC01401.jpg

Juiciest ones I've ever had.

Damn Fredz.

You gonna die!

Not exactly cooking atm... at a lan...

Pizza's, pies and lots of coke... :D

(and mixers... take a swig outa a can of coke, top up with kahlua. :D)

You really are a lost cause, aren't you.

:P

I've currently got some freshly rolled naan bread rising in the kitchen, chicken sitting in tandooi and I'm going to whip up a batch of aloo gobi (Indian potato & cauliflower dish) shortly.

Got beer chillin' in the fridge and either Metallica or Mozart to while this balmy evening away.

Just made my son and I a pasta dish.

Creamy; well milk, butter and cornflour (no cream :( ), with bacon and veges (mushroom, zucchini and caps).

Came up nice; first time I've cooked in a while.

My chef is working this evening :P

Tacos with goat meat.

Mmm ... deceased goat.

Silly boy, goat tastes much better still breathing.

Anyway, I just made a fruit salad and decided it was too healthy so I added maple syrup and strawberry icecream. Does it count as cooking if I stick it in the microwave prior to eating?

:)

Goat carpaccio is a specialty in Sienna, little place makes it so thin you can see through it, delicious. :)

We're having good old corned silverside tonight, with mashed potatoes, brocolli, carrots etc.... Don't mind simple paisan food from time to time :)

Cheers

We have a restaurant in my suburb called "Goat meat restaurant " I'm sure you'd love it Sap. Only goat on the menu, even goat carpaccio.

Is it still open?

I was talking to someone the other day and they said it had closed up.

Anyway......I made pumpkin soup tonight.

(snacks later....)

Seeing as mashed potatoes were mentioned, I shall ask. Can someone please tell me how to make mashed potatoes taste interesting? I can't stand them without some flavouring. :(

Seeing as mashed potatoes were mentioned, I shall ask. Can someone please tell me how to make mashed potatoes taste interesting? I can't stand them without some flavouring. :(

Garlic. Chopped herbs. Truffle flakes. Gravy.

Garlic. Chopped herbs. Truffle flakes. Gravy.

Different creams as well. Double, sour, even yogurts go OK.

Myself, if they are made properly, you can't beat plain........whipped with butter and milk with a few chives.......pepper and salt......that's all you need.

Lumpy, watery mash turns people off for life.

Don't scrimp with the fat, I say!

A reasonable amount of salt in the boil water, and add an egg and/or cheese plus white pepper and butter plus milk in the mash itself seems to work here Greycat.

I do tend to fiddle with them myself, a dash of brandy, a trifle of truffle, some processed and cooked in butter champignons, or turn them into potato cakes fried in butter, very versatile. :)

It's also a bit of a case of what potatoes, Nadines are all over the place and cheap here right now, they mash well, other varieties, especially reds, do not in my experience.

It's not really my preferred way with the humble spud, I like roasted or steamed little gourmet ones or hasselbacks or baked but the mash always goes well here :)

Cheers

Thanks everyone. looking forward to cooking some now. <3 Especially with brandy.

Lumpy, watery mash turns people off for life.

Don't scrimp with the fat, I say!

That is definitely true. Personally I don't like the flavour of plain, even properly made.

You can do just about anything with mash if you want to, except make them watery.... had a run of that here a while back, the potatoes themselves just had no body. You CAN recover that with rice flour, but it always feels like cheating :)

Adding crumbled bacon is a winner, and, doubtless controvertial, so is adding some anchovies - I keep that one to myself, their loss :)

Cheers