Sign in to follow this  
Linux_Inside V2

802.11N and the whole 3 Antenna dealie

I want to install a Draft-N card in my Aspire One, which comes with a B/G Chipset

The question is, will it work with only 2 antenna connectors? I'm guessing it will - just not as well?

Cheers,

--Matt

My understanding is that yes, it will work. if you want b/g capability, I would probably knock off the 5gig antennae if it has one.

Some 802.11n gear only requires two antennae.

I'm sure there's an Aspire One enthusiast out there that knows the best 802.11n option though.

Some 802.11n gear only requires two antennae.

I'm sure there's an Aspire One enthusiast out there that knows the best 802.11n option though.

Yeah there's a few that have chucked an Atheros 5008 in there, but I don't know what sort of reception that'll get compared to the one it's already got that only needs 2 antennae.

I might just give it a test by swapping the one from my MBP into it...

yeah the card worked with only 2 antennae connected.

I just found out that the Broadcom 802.11N cards only use two, so it must be fine with just two on the Atheros too, just no MIMO.

...Some 802.11n gear only requires two antennae...

Some 802.11v gear does, too - I'm looking at one of our company products that has the Tx/Rx and Rx Only antenna setup, and our upcoming 802.11b/g/n/i toy only has two as well (mind you, it'll be outputting up to 600mW on G, so...). :]

Back to the OP - you'll probably find for best reception and performance in marginal/dodgy/noisy environments you might need the three sticks.

Methinks you'd best doing a Suck It 'n See to find out what that thing thinks it wants for best performance.