d3c4y

Bloatware on new Dells?

Hey,

I'm buying a new Dell laptop for uni, and I'm just having a bit of trouble deciding what operating system to order for it.

If I were to buy a HP or a Toshiba, I'd immediately format the drive and put a fresh windows install on it, just to get rid of all the proprietary crap and bloatware (eg Norton, 'HP Utilities Center', 'Toshiba Experience Enhancement Resource Diminisher') they put on those machines. I just want a nice clean, light OS, without all the manufacturer preload stuff that bogs your machine down from the get go.

Is this the same with Dell? Will it come with a bunch of crap, or is it going to be a fairly clean OS?

I only ask because I want Win7 Professional, but I'm not going to pay Dell an additional $80 for it if I'm just going to have to wipe it and buy a fresh copy anyway. Am I better off just sticking with the 'Included in Price' Win7 Home and buying my own copy of Pro, or should I get Pro preinstalled for me?

Hope that was understandable, I tend to ramble a bit.

Thanks,

d3c4y

When I bought my Dell it came with a bunch of support software and driver software that I didn't really need (touchpad ctrl panel, webcam etc) and also McAfee but apart from that it wasn't too bad.

Personally I just wiped it and started again with an image that I downloaded (this was Vista) and it was perfect after that. It sounds like you will want to wipe it anyway, though.

Edited by turro

You're probably right. I'm just loathed to spend $2000 on a laptop WITH a copy of Win7 and then have to run out and buy another legit copy of Win7 Pro just to fresh install.

Is there any way around this? (short of piracy)

extra $80 gives you pro which you will just use a downloaded ISO with your license key (that is NOT piracy) and have a fresh install

buying it yourself will set you back more i think.

So yeah just pay em for the license.

Please forgive me for knowing absolutely nothing about all this, but 2 questions:

1) When i recieve the laptop from Dell, will I receive the license key of my copy of Win7 Pro, which I can use to reinstall?

2) When I format the drive and reinstall Win7, will this key just work, or is there some sort of 'de-registration' process I need to go trough to 'de-register' the key before using it again.

Comes with a bunch of crap. All brands do.

As long as the disc you use to install is OEM, the key on the bottom of the notebook will work just fine.

Um yeah just get it, reformat from the discs that come in the box, and use the key on the bottom of the machine

buy professional, it may be $80 more, but a new OEM copy is like $160, so yeah

the "bloatware" is not in the OS image that you get on the reinstallation discs, its installed on top of Win7

also if you want to order, PM me and I will get you the best discount I can get (often cost price + 5%, or whatever is the best coupon code I can find)

It can also depend on what Dell model you buy. I specifically went for a Vostro because it comes with less crapware than the other ranges. The only thing I had to uninstall was the anti-virus package (Norton I think) so I could put something better on.

However, the Vostros are meant to be a no-frills business-class machine so they may not offer the specs you're looking for. YMMV

Edited by zzozzach

It can also depend on what Dell model you buy. I specifically went for a Vostro because it comes with less crapware than the other ranges. The only thing I had to uninstall was the anti-virus package (Norton I think) so I could put something better on.

However, the Vostros are meant to be a no-frills business-class machine so they may not offer the specs you're looking for. YMMV

My work has Vostros and i have found signifcantly less bloatware than Acer. (Who were stingy on RAM).

I like the simplicity of the toshiba software that came on my laptop. It comes with some very handy software... The ONLY thing i had to get rid of was norton which was 5 clicks of the mouse...

I like the simplicity of the toshiba software that came on my laptop. It comes with some very handy software... The ONLY thing i had to get rid of was norton which was 5 clicks of the mouse...

I dunno, I find Toshiba bloatware even worse than Dell bloatware.