sp@rky13

Buying Windows 7

There is no real reason to go 64Bit unless you have a Quad core and 4GB of RAM or more.

Stick to 32Bit for that system.

There is no real reason to go 64Bit unless you have a Quad core and 4GB of RAM or more.

Core count has no bearing on whether one should use 32 or 64bit. I'd get 64bit because it's likely he'll want to add more RAM in the near future.

Core count has no bearing on whether one should use 32 or 64bit. I'd get 64bit because it's likely he'll want to add more RAM in the near future.

+1 Cyb3r, I think that buying 32bit windows these days is a waste of money, if you have a reasonably modern computer you should, IMHO, always go 64bit if only because you will either want/need 4gig of ram (or more if you have an e-penis like me) lol.

Well that's a good point I guess.

OOOOOR, download an iso from the interwebz and get a cd key from ebay (What i did) Cost me a whole $40 for 2 keys

You got ripped. Since bizspark started you can pick up keys for 50c-$2tops in the right places..

I subscibed to Technet myself, kinda expensive in a way, kinda not in another. :)

Plus of course the CPU is 64 bit capable so should run more efficiently with a 64 bit OS.

OOOOOR, download an iso from the interwebz and get a cd key from ebay (What i did) Cost me a whole $40 for 2 keys

You got ripped. Since bizspark started you can pick up keys for 50c-$2tops in the right places..

I subscibed to Technet myself, kinda expensive in a way, kinda not in another. :)

Erm, like where?

Wish i could afford a technet subscription...Ah well, if i ever decide to pay full retail for an os ill get a technet sub instead :P

Pardon me for not having read through all of this thread, but if you're a uni/tafe student* looking to upgrade to windows 7 professional 32/64bit from an older legitimate windows you can always go for the itsnotcheating.com.au ($50AUD). That's what i'm doing. WinXP Pro is nice, but showing age :D

Pardon me for not having read through all of this thread, but if you're a uni/tafe student* looking to upgrade to windows 7 professional 32/64bit from an older legitimate windows you can always go for the itsnotcheating.com.au ($50AUD). That's what i'm doing. WinXP Pro is nice, but showing age :D

Yah I'm probably going to do that at some point as my sister;s semi at tafe/uni (a tafe course from school that's at a uni). I got Office 2007 through here before :)

EDIT: How many computers is it for? I can't seem to find that info. Office was for 3 which is what I'd like :)

Edited by sp@rky13

Gee now I feel special....

I study I.T. at TAFE and got access to MSDNAA for FREEEEEE!!!!!!!

Which incl Win XP Pro, Vista and Win 7 Pro 32 and 64 bit yay

You can? Awesome. I may do that :)

You will need to format your Hard Drive to do so. So make backups.

Um actually no you don't. Just did an XP 32 to Win7 64 bit on Friday and Win7 just stuffed all the existing folders and files in a folder called Windows.old.

Just selected the upgrade option. Of course I had all the customers data backed up off PC first, just in case.

EDIT: How many computers is it for? I can't seem to find that info. Office was for 3 which is what I'd like :)

One.