atomicnewbie

Is it bad to leave the expansion slots open?

leaves room for big spiders and kiddies fingers to get in is about all

Haha the big spiders part reminded me of this time i was fixing a friends computer that hadnt been used in a long time, on boot as the fans spin up you hear a crunch noise and out the back of the PSU comes flying out parts of a huge fking spider.. It appeared to have been dead some time it was all dried up and flaky..

I had this problem, missing expansion slot covers, easy solution simply find an old case and nick the covers out of it.

Probally wont work in this case though.

I had this problem, missing expansion slot covers, easy solution simply find an old case and nick the covers out of it.

Probally wont work in this case though.

I see what you did there : D

If there's dust getting in without the expansion slot covers on, then your fan set-up is wrong.

I have a fan on my GPU, my CPU and in my PSU. How could that be wrong?

You should have more intake fans than exhaust. That way gaps in the case have air flowing outward, thus blowing away dust. Optimally you'd have dust filters on the intake fans too. Most people refer to this as a positive air pressure configuration.

Most cases don't have this however. From what I can gather, the 800D in particular has one intake and one exhaust...

Edited by Mac Dude

Most cases don't have this however. From what I can gather, the 800D in particular has one intake and one exhaust...

These are the type of cases you should avoid, unless your place is very very clean.

These are the type of cases you should avoid, unless your place is very very clean.

Then you would be avoiding most cases. Seriously. Have a look at the Lian Li range of tower cases. I could not see one that had positive pressure in it's default configuration. I've had a look at most of the major brands, and though far from an exhaustive search (pun intended), most have negative case pressure by default.

I agree with you that this is bad, yet most cases are this way...

To be fair, some of the negative pressure cases have the capacity for you to add/remove fans. But IMO, if the designers of said case didn't think it important in the first place, I can hardly recommend it to someone. Unfortunately most designs are about the useless bling and trivial 'features' than common sense.

The main issues with slots being uncovered are:

• (as others commented) insects/arachnids/other pests getting in
  • EMC

The case provides electromagnetic shielding for the components inside -- preventing the RF-generating switching noise from getting out and preventing some of the outside world's interference from getting in.

In many situations, it won't make a noticable difference.