atomicnewbie

Is it bad to leave the expansion slots open?

Is it bad to not replace the covers on the back of my computer where I plug in things like PCI and PCI-E cards? I've lost some of them and so now they're mostly just open. Does it ruin the circulation inside my case? I have a Corsair 800D.

Thanks! I was concerned I might have to get spares from the manufacturer. Atomic magazine praised the case highly so I didn't want to waste it by having crappy or bad air circulation in the case. Plus I spent a lot for it, so I want to make the best of it.

leaves room for big spiders and kiddies fingers to get in is about all

may even allow some better airflow past the gpu :)

Depending on how many are left open and the way air flows through your case it can have an effect on your cooling but it is negligible.

Main issue IMO is critters getting in through the open slots. So if I have lost the covers I generally wack some Gaffa tape over the openings.

Won't have an effect on the cooling but I'd want them closed anyway, just to stop dust and bugs and stuff getting in there

Do critters actually get inside the case? I can't really see that happening...But, if it's bad for the dust too, then I think I better get some Gaffa tape. Thanks everyone. Dust and bugs didn't reallly come to my mind at first.

hey 1shot1kill thats an Asus monitor isn't it

and you'll be surprise of how much dust would build up inside with out the bracket cover. with that much room of ventilation what ever component closest would gather dust quicker then usual.

Dont know why you would want to do that to the beautiful case which is the Corsair 800D.

If there's dust getting in without the expansion slot covers on, then your fan set-up is wrong.

I have a fan on my GPU, my CPU and in my PSU. How could that be wrong?

Doesn't appear to bother my PC to have the expansion slots uncovered.

Posted Image

You've got a new case since last I saw it!

I've got the same card reader as you and some USB devices won't power up from it.

It's a pain in the arse.

Nope, same case. And yeah, the card reader's giving me the irrits as well. It's got to the stage where it's bloody useless. Won't even power up a memory card or thumbdrive.

Nope, same case. And yeah, the card reader's giving me the irrits as well. It's got to the stage where it's bloody useless. Won't even power up a memory card or thumbdrive.

Must be the new camera then!

If there's dust getting in without the expansion slot covers on, then your fan set-up is wrong.

I have a fan on my GPU, my CPU and in my PSU. How could that be wrong?

You should have more intake fans than exhaust. That way gaps in the case have air flowing outward, thus blowing away dust. Optimally you'd have dust filters on the intake fans too. Most people refer to this as a positive air pressure configuration.

Dude, did you see the pic of my case? Intake fans ain't gonna do shit!

Yes, which is why I was referring to the expansion slot concern expressed by the OP, rather than your PC specifically. Leaving the side off is a little more problematic than a few small gaps. I'd also hazard a guess that you could replace the side panel thus removing that problem altogether.

hey 1shot1kill thats an Asus monitor isn't it

Nope.

Opps i meant to say Acer.