LogicprObe

For those who think MP3 is great.

A little bit from one of the great audio engineers.

Thanks to Audio Technology magazine for the video.

(It's not too long)

All comments and discussion welcome.

I often wish that places would offer FLAC formatted music. That being said, 320kbps MP3 which has been converted properly isn't too bad. Unless you have very expensive kit to appreciate the difference.

Unless you have very expensive kit to appreciate the difference.

Which very few have :).

I can understand MP3 being poor quality for the audio jocks out there, but for the majority it does the job!

My concern is the shitty earphones that come with MP3 players. They're much more of an issue, IMO.

I usualy throw them out, but the earphones that came with my Ipod touch were prety decent (Had a microphpne, skype ftw). Although the earphones that came with my creative muvo a few years ago were thrown out for a stand alone pair!

I can understand MP3 being poor quality for the audio jocks out there, but for the majority it does the job!

Did you watch the video?

25% distortion is a lot!

Nice link, Les.

Cyb3r, while I agree with you, I really don't think the equipment needs to be all that expensive in order to notice the difference.

But! I will also admit that the term 'expensive' is relative too ;)

Mine are still untouched in the box. Many people use what the player comes with, which is typically a shitty tinny $5 set. They make MP3 songs sound a fuck load worse than they are, which is saying something. My brother got an iPod Shuffle for his birthday, and he let me listen (I put some of my music on there as I was setting up iTunes for him) and it was horrible! If it wasn't for his lack of interest in music, I would have got him a set of Vsonics for Christmas.

So the reality is, it's bloody hard to tell the difference in quality if the driver is a piece of shit.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Edit:Seriously though, as logic pointed out, 25%

25% is a statistic. It means shit all if you can't recognise it audibly. My argument is that people are unable to hear this distortion through substandard earphones. Not to mention the overbearing non-codec related distortion caused by excessive volume on said shitastic earphones.

I agree that through $5 earpieces everything is going to sound shit...............but I reckon you could still tell the difference between CD and 128kbs.

Well yeah, you probably could. But a decent quality MP3 would be pretty difficult unless you're actively listening for it. And let's face it, only audiophiles would even think to do that.

Did you watch the video?

25% distortion is a lot!

MP3 has always been known as a poor standard in audio compression and we ALWAYS knew that, but it overtook the mainstream for 10 years. I still don't think it makes a difference on portable devices MP3 would still fit the bill for the masses i would say.

But hey, to be honest i don't really care how my music comes out of my ear phones as long as it sounds good.

I do however understand why professionals won't touch MP3 with a 40 foot pole, but we always knew MP3 was not the best audio format available!

Edit: I might just throw in that i remember being on Napster chat and seeing people argue why we don't use '(Insert better audio codec here)'. So we have known about MP3's short-commings for quite a long time.

Edited by smakme7757

Did you watch the video?

25% distortion is a lot!

MP3 has always been known as a poor standard in audio compression and we ALWAYS knew that, but it overtook the mainstream for 10 years. I still don't think it makes a difference on portable devices MP3 would still fit the bill for the masses i would say.

But hey, to be honest i don't really care how my music comes out of my ear phones as long as it sounds good.

I do however understand why professionals won't touch MP3 with a 40 foot pole, but we always knew MP3 was not the best audio format available!

As George says, there is a generation grown up that has never heard anything else.

I think that's a bad thing.

I think george has forgotten to take into account the Ipods AAC 320kbps format which is Superior to MP3. But lets face it most music people download now are encoded in 320kbps anyway maybe 190 at a minimum.

I just have a feeling he is beating an old dog unless he can reproduce some music in a portable format which just 'Blows' us away in terms of quality.

Edited by smakme7757

Did you miss the bit about ProTools?

Most recording studios use it these days..........and use it to make reference MP3s.........then mix to that!

I can understand his gripe, but we have to remember where the music ends up! On our portable devices. I don't know why recording studios would use MP3 as the staple format (In al honesty i didn't think they did), but the only way anyone is going to get them to change is to introduce an audio format that will deliver the quality He/They think is acceptable without having huge file sizes. With file sizes being the key issue.

Its all about where the music ends up; which in turn affects how the music is produced. It seems logical to me.

Anyway im not arguing against a change or even what that dude was talking about i just think we need to remember why MP3 became the most widely used format in the fist place.

Edited by smakme7757

It is sad that people these days aren't given the option to hear music in It's undiluted form and quality. Instead they are spoon feeding people low quality music in low quality forms.

I think that over all, that is the message I got from the vid.

I think it was the fact that low quality music was easy to steal...........but high quality is easy to steal these days yet they still choose the crap!

Hell! Now I'm arguing with myself!

At least there is debate happening ;)

I thought it was the fact that it demands less talent from the so called musicians now a days :P and less thought on the part of the so called audio engineers.

I'll be pretty blunt here, he was on the right track until his music preferences starting to becomes the forefront of his argument. I wasn't going to say it, but i think music is personal preference and no i'm not a brittany fan ;) but his resoning put me off his argument. The technology side of things were sound and yes musicians have not been making the great hits of the 80's and elvis is unfortunatly dead, but i feel he really let himself down when his personal music choice shone through as a defining point in his presentation.

He really should have just put forward his stance on the technological side of music which is a relative argument. His musical preferance and the decline of talent is not only out of his/our control, but also a very irrelevant point which would have been better just left alone.

What he did say that i am 100% with him on is the following:

- Introduce at least 48khz/24bit audio into Itunes ect...

- Hard disks sizes are dropping while densitys are getting higher thus alleviating the impact of larger file sizes

- Give people choice between quality formats

Those are the key points in his presentation that i felt would benifit the entire music industry as well as us as consumers!

Edited by smakme7757

Those are indeed three very pertinent points :)

I do think his other lines of talk are relevent too, as the impact of all this is far reaching when looking at the industry as a whole.

Because of technology, there is more music being recorded than ever before.......and I have to agree with George here, most of it is rubbish.

It's either poorly written or poorly recorded and more often, both!