LogicprObe

For those who think MP3 is great.

Most people can't tell the difference between 192kbps mp3 and anything higher, so why bother spending more money on making it more expensive?

(Not that most people have hearing problems, but the shitty earbuds people get with their ipods/phones don't exactly have world-class sound.)

Edited by turro

Not everybody listens through mobile devices, there are many people that like to listen on full blown stereo gear, they do exsist as there is a huge industry supplying them with all sorts of gear to improve the listening experience - they just don't hang on atomicmpc for the most part ;)

Anyhow, I think the link is more about the damage it is doing to the industry as a whole.

IMHO there will never be anything to match a quality stereo and vinyl records, for quality sound. I had my onkyo system brought in the 70's until about 5 years ago when it gave up the ghost :(. The systems today seem to pale by comparison, but I do wnat to start playing my records again, but just cannot seem to find a system that grabs me.

Edited by bowiee

bowiee, there are some great pieces of kit being made right here in OZ, and there is also much good secondhand kit on ebay including Sansui amps from the 70s.

Plenty of good TT around too :)

You won't see anything good in JB and the likes, you have to look deeper.

Edited by datafast69

Kind of makes you wonder how we can go backwards from vinyl into MP3's of the 21st century. We are different people. We want convenience and 'whats in' *Britney* (mostly cos Radio plays it 30 times plus a day) over quality and musical skill. I'm afraid i don't listen to music much less own or have copied a CD to MP3 and its because of these reasons... What am i spose to do when the 'Industry Standard' is crappy MP3??

meh, if thats representative of what GM waffled on about then i am not sorry i left early that day!

btw, in this excerpt i heard no mention of bitrates, so the claim of 30% distortion means 100% of nothing.

YES! 48kHz/24bit should be available as a release format AT THE VERY LEAST.

NO! jaded old farts — legends of the audio or not — bemoaning the supreme shitness of all music today (or similar), arent to be taken seriously

yeah, my bad on the percentage. anyway, from what we can see/hear, his little Pro Tools demo is hardly compelling. even if what he implies is totally true, so what?

a) i would expect nothing less than retardation from Digidesign.

b) only a retard would willfully work with Tools/Mp3

"the supreme shitness of all music today (or similar)" -- plainly paraphrasing Logic.

and i acknowledged he is a legend of the biz datafast...so try a bit harder mate!

btw, that pepsi challenge offer is still open to both you scardey cats... :P

Hay, Les it's off topic but I picked up a copy of Robert Plant's 'The Priciple Of Moments'

Not bad :)

Edit:typo :(

Edited by datafast69

Mark Gillespie? never heard of her :P

Let me know how the remastered Hendrix sounds.

Oh yeah! a tad expensive, and i hate those guys that say the vinyl is EX (excellent) but like this "VINYL: EX (vinyl has a few very light scuffs but they have no affect on the audio quality, plays very well)"

It's either excellent or it has marks/scuffs!, not both :P

I'm undecided half way through.

I think the vinyl sounds better but I'll make my final decision after a few listens in different places.

As for Gillespie..........he gave up and fucked off to Tibet or somewhere!

Genius.

I have the album on this page on vinyl.........his most sucessful.........I'll get that reissue CD when they pull their finger out!

A lot of ungettable bonus stuff there.

http://www.rubandtugrecords.com/aztecmusic..._catalogue1.htm

Can you ever go wrong with Ross Hanaford on guitar?

Edited by LogicprObe

I personally use flac at home, and I simultaneously encode 192 kbps mp3s for hardware and software that doesn't support flac. Flac is ideal I think, its a shame it doesn't get more support.

I only listened to part of the video, I think George Massenburg is going a bit far saying that we should be using 24/48... most commercial music will not benefit from 24 bit recordings, and not all 24 bit converters are better than all 16 bit converters. I haven't met anyone who could hear the difference between 44.1 and 48 KHz. I think we all know that the very low average of 128kbps mp3s needs to be raised, but no need to go so far as 24/48... simply raising the level to 192kbps would suffice for most people (not my personal standard). Everyone keeps the same gear, files are only slightly larger, quality improves.

I heard this mp3 a long time ago and was pretty impressed by the sound of the recording, despite the fact that it is an mp3. This is a 192kbps recording. If 192kbps is good enough to let this recording sound nice, its good enough for most pop.

http://www.chesky.com/email/tunes/DavidChe...groMaestoso.mp3