LogicprObe

For those who think MP3 is great.

In the past they have been mere shadows of the originals, mostly.

I wonder how they are doing it?

They say that the high end DAC's like the top end MSB DAC that up-samples to 384 comes close to sounding like vinyl.

Edited by datafast69

Let me know if you remember how.

The original anolog master tapes would go a long way to help, if they have been preserved that is.

Edited by datafast69

Very good read there Les, the first thing that stood out for myself and that related to a lot of recordings these days was the term he uses "anti-musical"

I'm still reading it but very good so far :)

It's even sadder when you realise that database is far from complete, I got those links from a thread over on SNA where one of the guys has started checking other albums too.

For anyone that's unfamiliar, here's an example a bad track (off Vanessa Amorosii's latest album) and a good track (off Diana Krall's latest album)

Posted Image

Posted Image

With the latest version of Audacity you can set it to show clipping too, that's the red.

Edited by datafast69

Might be partly true, Cyb3r

Though they are doing so as It's more that they don't get a say in it, as the record companies argue that most people listen to MP3's, and do so through cheap ear-buds and computer speakers - 'So crank that fucker up so it stands out from the competition!'

Edited by datafast69

I hear the difference and I try to avoid albums that are overly compressed and/or clipping.

When they Increase for example the Drums and Guitars and whatever else you get a smearing of the track, you then don't hear other instruments as they just become part of the smear :(

The musicality comes from having that dynamic headroom that they are reducing.

The thing is, that people may not hear the difference because the only thing being dished out to them by record companies is bad, then they just accept it as the norm and pay good money for it :(

Edited by datafast69

A certain sound comes from compressing a track. Loud modern pop is the red meat and sugar diet of music. Take the compression off and the music will sound quite different... I think most people would find it a little jarring.

For what its worth, I have never met a sound engineer who compresses everything to the maximum because they like it, though no doubt some exist. Most of the time, I am afraid to say, its the musicians who ask for it to be louder. They bring in cds and ask for their tracks to sound the same.

edit for doubled text....

Edited by komuso

Thanks Komuso :)

I guess It's not only the record companies that are to blame...I really do feel for the engineers that are pushed to do this against there better judgement.

A lot of engineers do it as a matter of course because 'that's what everybody else does'.

And I bet they teach them how to do it at all those 'Audio Engineering' courses that seem so popular with talentless morons these days.

Fair point Les, if they are learning in today's environment It's likely that is very true in a lot of cases.

SS, It seems to be the case with Vinyl v CD recordings even with newer releases, where the CD is butchered and the Vinyl is not.

Score one for the black stuff ;)

The physical limitations of vinyl just dont allow the volume and bass that you can produce on a cd... vinyl is not as butcherable. Vinyl was pushed to the brink as well though. Motown were considered to be the most cavalier for making loud records.

I am glad this loudness thing is limited to recordings, and that the musical experience consists of more than just listening to our stereo. From that perspective, things might not be as bad as they seem.

I hear ya'. komuso.

Though I am a little concerned with the fact that performers, only need to be as good as there recording in order to satisfy there fans....

IF the trend of lower recording quality continues and is accepted by the public, then the quality of live performances may also take a nose dive as the recordings set the standard.

Hopefully we will see a climb back up in the area of quality recordings and this will be a non-issue *crosses fingers*