adam93

This mob should be shut down

Got one of these stores near me, thought id check em out you no. Ex government computers, thought i could get some old p4's for chea. But the prices they want for these machines are criminal

http://www.thecomputermarket.com/index.php...opt=7&cat=2

i give away computers with better specs then some of them. I mean i look past shubby deals from jb, or the good guys. But those prices are bloody stupid. And i hate it that people get sucked into thos deals.

check out the deal down the bottom "brand new" 2k and it only has a bloody core 2 and 9400gt.

This mob gives me the shits

Got one of these stores near me, thought id check em out you no. Ex government computers, thought i could get some old p4's for chea. But the prices they want for these machines are criminal

http://www.thecomputermarket.com/index.php...opt=7&cat=2

i give away computers with better specs then some of them. I mean i look past shubby deals from jb, or the good guys. But those prices are bloody stupid.

If it works for them, good on 'em.

And i hate it that people get sucked into thos deals.

Caveat emptor.

check out the deal down the bottom "brand new" 2k and it only has a bloody core 2 and 9400gt.

D'you have any reason to believe that it's not brand new?

So long as they're being truthful, they can charge whatever they like. It's up to the purchaser to be willing to pay however.

Machines may well be new, just not "recent models"

i give away computers with better specs then some of them. I mean i look past shubby deals from jb, or the good guys. But those prices are bloody stupid. And i hate it that people get sucked into thos deals.

All you can do is educate...

Rob.

Prices are basically bearable, when you consider there is a legal windows licence included in the price, which a lot of people here conveniently ignore when pricing up a box.

So adam93 I would get off your high horse when you can buy in the parts or S/H boxes, refurbish them, provide warranty and run a shop front for less then they do and still make a profit.

According to that site, the paper-weight PC I gave to my sister is worth $849. Looks like I shall be paying her a "kind visit" laster tonight then...

I find it funny how over the top geeks react to PC retailers. The % markup that we pay for most PC components is barely a slither on what the markup of most other products. Geeks have just been spoiled because the 'type' of people that sell PC parts are more then happy to work on 2-3% markup.

Ex government means the store has to:

a) clean and test everything.

b) buy and install windows licences for each machine.

c) dump the inevitable garbage which comes from auction bulk buys.

d) risk getting stuck with things that don't sell.

So you can easily spend $100 or more on each machine. More if the government removed all the hard drives for security reasons.

That's a pretty big mark up for those components. I can beat those prices by quite a bit and offer a better warranty, but those prices are far from criminal. Dells sells new systems at about the same markup and no one complains about them, and Dell makes a lot more profit since they buy in bulk. People are willing to pay for them, so someone has to sell them.

For the record, we still build and sell the system at the bottom new for $1600 (E8500, 4GB 800Mhz memory, and 500GB HDD), include a 22" monitor and 2 yr warranty, and still make a decent profit. Their prices and warranty are very close to what all retailers sell that system for though.

The rest of those used systems (comparable specs) we can get from Reteq for under $400. By the time we add an OS and profit to them they'd be similar to those prices as well.

I suspect that the OP is more upset that he can't find a way to capitalize on that market rather than at the fact that it exists. :-)

Edited by darklife41

biggest joke of a machine for 2k was the last one

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz 4GB DDR2 Ram, 500GB SATA Hard Drive, DVD Burner, Gigabit Network Card, 1GB 9400GT Video Card, NEW 20" SAMSUNG WIDESCREEN Monitor Windows 7 Home Premium License

lol I could build that from MSY for like ~$900 inc windows.

Ex govt machines should already have licenses on them. It's a general agreement with large organisations. they may reinstall the original os, but the machines "generally" have to have licenses on them.

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz 4GB DDR2 Ram, 500GB SATA Hard Drive, DVD Burner, Gigabit Network Card, 1GB 9400GT Video Card, NEW 20" SAMSUNG WIDESCREEN Monitor Windows 7 Home Premium License

at least someone agrees...

I don't think anyone is doubting that they are expensive. Your acting like they are committing murder. Look at just about every other industry and you will much for muchness. Seen any factory car dealers service & repair prices lately? Brought any home appliances from Harvey Norman or similar at the sticker/non sale price?

I find it funny how over the top geeks react to PC retailers. The % markup that we pay for most PC components is barely a slither on what the markup of most other products. Geeks have just been spoiled because the 'type' of people that sell PC parts are more then happy to work on 2-3% markup.

MSY work on a -10% markup.

MSY work on a -10% markup.

Lol no they dont. On a few of there items they do but not on there most frequently sold items.

You couldn't sell it for that tho'.

Of course he could, if his time is worthless.

Of course he could, if his time is worthless.

And he doesn't charge GST.

yea I would sell it for $1998 instead of their $1999

checkmate... :P

I look at it this way, if people don't want to do any research to find the best deal and just walk into their store and pay what ever, than that's their problem. With the net at everyone's finger tips these days there is no excuse.

I think most consumers know how to bag a bargain, even those who buy off the shelf systems. But I guess there will always be people either to lazy to shop around, or have more money than sense.

And a lucky few get to know a local geek who can custom build them a system, and even including labour, save them a packet. ;)

yea I would sell it for $1998 instead of their $1999

checkmate... :P

What I meant was that you might be able to build it for $900 including windows, but you (meaning a business) wouldn't be able to sell it for $900 and make a profit. Edited by 1shot1kill

Ex govt machines should already have licenses on them. It's a general agreement with large organisations. they may reinstall the original os, but the machines "generally" have to have licenses on them.

Nope most Gov departments and large businesses use volume license keys which means no licence stickers for the case sides. VLKs cannot be sold on with the hardware they must stay within the organisation.

So for a lot of Ex gov/corporate PCS you are going to be up for at least a Win OEM licence.

Nope most Gov departments and large businesses use volume license keys which means no licence stickers for the case sides. VLKs cannot be sold on with the hardware they must stay within the organisation.

So for a lot of Ex gov/corporate PCS you are going to be up for at least a Win OEM licence.

Ha!

All the ones I've seen are loaded with a dodgy corporate.

I get to laugh at them when I get called to fix them!