adam93

This mob should be shut down

Ex govt machines should already have licenses on them. It's a general agreement with large organisations. they may reinstall the original os, but the machines "generally" have to have licenses on them.

Nope most Gov departments and large businesses use volume license keys which means no licence stickers for the case sides. VLKs cannot be sold on with the hardware they must stay within the organisation.

So for a lot of Ex gov/corporate PCS you are going to be up for at least a Win OEM licence.

govt departments such as the school i work in, EVERY machine we use, MUST have a license on it. No matter what the license is (vista basic, xp home, 2000) they must have one. That is our agreement. Yes they load there own corp copy on there. that is for ease. But most agreements are that the machine must have a license on them. That is why on the site some older machines have windows 2000 licenses... Yes and of course they are going to use a corp version, go around to 600 odd computers and enter in a license key for each... I have ex govt machines in my room right now... each with license stickers from when we bought the machines brand new. Most being windows xp home

What I meant was that you might be able to build it for $900 including windows, but you (meaning a business) wouldn't be able to sell it for $900 and make a profit.

yea I knew what you meant, in all reality that system built with windows and with warranty is worth about ~$1400 if you walked into a computer shop and said thats what you wanted.

What I meant was that you might be able to build it for $900 including windows, but you (meaning a business) wouldn't be able to sell it for $900 and make a profit.

yea I knew what you meant, in all reality that system built with windows and with warranty is worth about ~$1400 if you walked into a computer shop and said thats what you wanted.

That's more like it, incl GST, and still before profit = approx $1250. I'd imagine that we use higher quality components though (Kingston 2x2GB 800MHz, Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, Corsair VX450, $100 case).

And no self respecting professional system builder would use MSY for a supplier since warranty returns and stock are iffy at best with MSY. We probably pay a bit more for real suppliers with direct support from the manufacturers, but its well worth it for warranties and knowing they have the parts in stock. :-)

And no self respecting professional system builder would use MSY for a supplier since warranty returns and stock are iffy at best with MSY. We probably pay a bit more for real suppliers with direct support from the manufacturers, but its well worth it for warranties and knowing they have the parts in stock. :-)

You are a tool. Ill make more money whilst you use your "better" supplier to feel good about yourself and go broke because everyone buys from me!

Errr no llmoose Darklife is completely right.

Better get your head straight i bet your business dosent even has a ABN.

You are a tool. Ill make more money whilst you use your "better" supplier to feel good about yourself and go broke because everyone buys from me!

Well, when I was building PCs, I didn't go near them. I still won't. I bought all my components from Altech and Umart (now IJK). I didn't go broke doing it.

and I will go to the distributor and be even cheaper than you :P

and I will go to the distributor and be even cheaper than you :P

llmoose no offence intended, but you are not trying to tell us you run a business building and selling custom computers are you ? Because based on your comments here by your own admission you have not built a machine since P4's were around.

The problem that shits me with these cocksmokers who love to point out such issues, is that your avg HN and so on provides much, much more support than your local msy etc who only ever deal with hardware returns.

For example, HN is quite often held to assisting customers by head office to "make the problem go away" because dumb cunts come in with computer systems laden with virii, and expect warranty returns. when they go to head office, head office can (but not always) just force the store to do the customers bidding as a warranty claim, damn the expense.

So places like the big stores that overcharge by a metric shitload are factoring in the dumb cunt overhead - of which there are many.

For those of you who can build that system for half the price, exactly how much effort are you willing to put in to support the machine. if you say any at all, i'll stand inches from your face and call you a fucking lying cunt.

For those of you who can build that system for half the price, exactly how much effort are you willing to put in to support the machine.

Exactly that which I'm required to provide by law.

By that logic, they should also shut down Harvey Norman.

Honestly I don't know how they stay in business.

Because heaps of people buy from them and they generally have a decent markup on their goods.

Because heaps of people buy from them and they generally have a decent markup on their goods.

Yes thanks captain obvious. The point I was trying to make is that, why do people continue to pay that large mark up. When a better deal is nearby and just as easy? They could buy a dell for a lot less than HP at Harvey Norman and not even leave their house?

Edited by spaced

Yes thanks captain obvious. The point I was trying to make is that, why do people continue to pay that large mark up. When a better deal is nearby and just as easy? They could buy a dell for a lot less than HP at Harvey Norman and not even leave their house?

Because, I'd guess, HN offers much more support than Dell do.

HN, I'd guess, also lean towards an older generation that need someone to talk to about their choice in computers, and that prefer face-to-face sales - which is expensive.

Rob.

And probably without an accent ;)

(hope I don't get done for the racist comment!)

Dell gold support is now based in Australia again, thank christ.

@Robzy, all I can see is the face 2 face sales as the benefit. Looking at Dell's website their prices are better than HP, support is good and it's an in home warranty. Hell you can even pay for setup and training.

Edited by spaced

people dont want to send their pc off to get serviced. they're unhappy with packign it up and putting it in the car as it is. but they do it.

if you offer the general public a brick and mortar option vs an online presence, you'll find the brick and mortar option will win more than a fair majority of the time.

The point I was trying to make is that, why do people continue to pay that large mark up. When a better deal is nearby and just as easy? They could buy a dell for a lot less than HP at Harvey Norman and not even leave their house?

After sales support, brand loyalty, not wanting to shop online. There're a variety of reasons.

Nope, I rang up Dell earlier and was surprised that even their sales has been outsourced. (Or so I assume, given the three people I spoke to had thick accents that were at times tricky to understand via the bad connection I seemed to keep on getting)

Generally I thought it was wiser to keep sales local, and outsource support (once you've already snagged the customers).

Rob.

(Or so I assume, given the three people I spoke to had thick accents that were at times tricky to understand via the bad connection I seemed to keep on getting)

Yeah, because there's no one in Australia with a foreign accent.

(Or so I assume, given the three people I spoke to had thick accents that were at times tricky to understand via the bad connection I seemed to keep on getting)

have you ever phoned dell? they are always all indian, however! once I had to transfer warranty ownership to a new owner and I was put onto an American, oh the joy of having someone I could easily talk with :D

Actually, you're wrong, there are many people in Australia with foreign accents.

(Yup, I know you were being sarcastic, but I don't have time to to explain the justification between my observations and the following assumption/guess)

Rob.