adam93

This mob should be shut down

Our Dell corporate support are based right here in Australia.

maybe the home support is different.

Actually, come to think of it, when I had to ring up Dell for corporate support I got an Australian accent. But as 1shot correctly pointed out, there would be people in India with Australian accents :P

Rob.

Actually, come to think of it, when I had to ring up Dell for corporate support I got an Australian accent. But as 1shot correctly pointed out, there would be people in India with Australian accents :P

Rob.

I remember seeing a news clip a few years ago where Indian call centre operators were trained (quite successfully, too!) to speak with a foreign accent to sound, for example, British or American.

Rob.

I remember seeing a news clip a few years ago where Indian call centre operators were trained (quite successfully, too!) to speak with a foreign accent to sound, for example, British or American.

they should do that more often, would be nice to not have to confirm everything they say on the other end, seems like they can easily understand you but not the other way around.

Rob.

They actually flew a bunch out here and had a BBQ to teach them Aussie.

Edited by LogicprObe

Yes thanks captain obvious. The point I was trying to make is that, why do people continue to pay that large mark up. When a better deal is nearby and just as easy? They could buy a dell for a lot less than HP at Harvey Norman and not even leave their house?

HN sell a lot more than computers guy and a lot of their other stock is damn cheap, so they're not closing anytime soon. I bought a fridge with extended 5y warranty for $380 from HN. The best Bing Lee would do $510 for the same fridge (sticker price of $600) and there was a 6 week wait. Mayer wouldn't budge from $600 and they had a 4 week wait.

You've got to remeber also, harvey norman spend a lot more money on advertising, big fancy shops and people to help you out. If i new nothing about computers, and just wanted to buy one. Harvey Norman would help me out a lor more than what msy would agreed?. And a general computer shop would most likley babble on about shit i wouldn't no anything of agreed?. Not to mention, harvey norman has a fancy displays compared to computer shops also. And it is a lot easier to compare to other stores (having model numbers of certain machines and what not).

You've got to remeber also, harvey norman spend a lot more money on advertising, big fancy shops and people to help you out. If i new nothing about computers, and just wanted to buy one. Harvey Norman would help me out a lor more than what msy would agreed?. And a general computer shop would most likley babble on about shit i wouldn't no anything of agreed?. Not to mention, harvey norman has a fancy displays compared to computer shops also. And it is a lot easier to compare to other stores (having model numbers of certain machines and what not).

That's ridiculous. I have yet to meet a Harvey Normal sales person who knows anything about the products they're selling. That goes for computers, GPS, toasters, and everything else they sell. What they do well is baffle idiots with BS. Anyone who thinks these sales persons actually know anything must fall under the idiot category.

Typical HN sales discussion for an $800 computer that they're selling:

Customer: Will this computer play all my games?

Sales: Sure it will.

Customer: Will this computer play and record high definition movies?

Sales: Oh yeah.

Customer: Will this computer deliver my breakfast in bed on time every morning?

Sales: If you know what you're doing, of course it will!

Then people get this POS system home and find out it doesn't do anything that they were told it would. Surprise, surprise!

Edited by darklife41

That's ridiculous. I have yet to meet a Harvey Normal sales person who knows anything about the products they're selling.

Juggalo Scrub used to work for HN.

That's ridiculous. I have yet to meet a Harvey Normal sales person who knows anything about the products they're selling.

Juggalo Scrub used to work for HN.

I think thats why he stated

I have yet to meet a Harvey Normal sales person

Funnily enough I was went with my cousin the other day so he could buy a laptop. It had to be harvey norman because he wanted the interest free thing. This is the conversation I had with the dipstick saleswoman.

SW: Can I help you?

Me: Oh yeh I was just wondering what OS this laptop comes with.

SW: Oh yeh it comes with Windows and Norton.

Me: Yeh what windows?

SW: Yeh thats right it comes with Windows.

Me: Oh hangon let me check, yep its windows 7. You should probably know that.

SW: **just gives me a filthy look**

Me: So whats your best price on that?

SW: Oh we can't do it any cheaper its already below cost price

Me: HAHAHA Thats bullshit, if thats under cost I'm a monkeys uncle.

SW: Fine, don't believe me then!

Me: Throw in a bag and mouse then we will call it a deal

SW: Its already under cost!

Me: Fine then ill go see if Good guys across the road have a lower cost price. ** Grab my cousin and start walking out**

SW: Oh ok I will do the bag and mouse but only because its boxing day.

Me; Ok good, we will have that on interest free then.

SW: Oh no you can't....

Me: Fine we are gone!

SW: FINE THEN!

If looks could kill then I wouldn't be here right now. I know they already lose a little bit when doing interest free so I never mention it until after I've worked out a deal. Usually they tell me they have to add %5 to the cash offer and I'm sweet with that but this woman was a mole with a shit haircut.

I think your just a bad customer llmoose. Hence why she acted like she did.

That's ridiculous. I have yet to meet a Harvey Normal sales person who knows anything about the products they're selling. That goes for computers, GPS, toasters, and everything else they sell. What they do well is baffle idiots with BS. Anyone who thinks these sales persons actually know anything must fall under the idiot category.

Then people get this POS system home and find out it doesn't do anything that they were told it would. Surprise, surprise!

dude that's not entirely not! true and you no it. Sure you do get your occasional idiots that don't have any idea what they're talking about. But majority of them have a clue of the basics. I buy a lot of laptop computers from these sorts of stores (harvey norman, wow, jb etc.) and find majority of them have a clue. There not there to explain how a fucking dual core processor works, they're there to explain to computer clueless people what the computers can do.

The point im getting at is the prices that the "computermarket" wants, IMHO is a bit too far out there.

Edited by adam93

yep pretty much if you act like a cun* expect to get treated like one, I work in retail and will always take the side of the saleperson not the customer because 9 times out of 10 customers feel they deserve the world and I don't have time for that.

I think your just a bad customer llmoose. Hence why she acted like she did.

There's no excuse for acting unprofessional - shitty customer or not.

In what way did she act unprofessional, considering this wasn't exactly an unbiased transcript?

In what way did she act unprofessional, considering this wasn't exactly an unbiased transcript?

I can only go off what I've been told. Death stares are hardly professional.

dude that's not entirely not! true and you no it. Sure you do get your occasional idiots that don't have any idea what they're talking about. But majority of them have a clue of the basics. I buy a lot of laptop computers from these sorts of stores (harvey norman, wow, jb etc.) and find majority of them have a clue. There not there to explain how a fucking dual core processor works, they're there to explain to computer clueless people what the computers can do.

The point im getting at is the prices that the "computermarket" wants, IMHO is a bit too far out there.

I'm not above the occasional typo, but seriously, your lack of spelling and grammar skills explains a lot:

*not entirely not true (double negative meaning "it is somewhat true", which I doubt is what you meant to say)

*you no it (I know no such thing)

*There not there (they're over there counting their money)

IMHO, anyone that would buy a PC or laptop from HN isn't the brightest bulb on the tree and wouldn't likely know if they were being BS'ed or not. That's how these retail stores stay in business on the electronics end, feeding off ignorant people who don't know what a good deal is. I go to those stores occasionally to check prices and current bundles just out of curiousity. Far more times than not I'm baffled by the lack of knowledge of these salespersons for computers/laptop specs, which I would expect them to know, or at least know how to find out.

I meant no offence to Juggalo Scrubb, have never met him, and would be surprised if he wouldn't agree that he's not a typical example of a HN salesperson. :-)

I wasn't a salesman, i worked in the tech bay. I would come out on the floor and sell whenever i needed extra cash, but i never took it on as a full time role because it meant i would have to fuck around with things like meeting targets and so on.

The store i worked for was the 4th largest in the chain, and we were the largest store in the ACT.

I, and the other tech, would actively fine the salesmen for being dickheads. If we overheard a salesman lie to a customer, returns would go under his name until we saw fit to stop punishing him, costing him a shitload of commission. If we had a customer return after being fucked around, we'd confirm it with the salesman and would then go and refund it completely (provided the customer had the right to be refunded, which in those situations was almost always the case) and would upgrade them to a more suitable model at hte same price - with the loss going under that salesmans number.

We had the full backing of the boss in all of this, because it ensured that our salesmen didn't fuck people around.

Heres the thing tho - the salesmen at most HN? they're not geeks. Geeks suck as salesmen. Quite often very unattractive, poorly presented, absolutely fucking atrocious people skills, and very little ability to close a sale. So thats why most HN sales staff are hired on just about everything OTHER than their IT knowledge/skills. They get trained up on the products and encouraged to divert the trickier questions to the more knowledgeable staff.

However, thats not to say that all staff aren't knowledgable about IT. I've met and been served by a number of staff over the years that would have been up to my high standards, and the kind of people i'd defend when the inevitable shit slinging would start.

But the reality is that stores like HN are not designed with us in mind. Sure we can buy games and other bits and pieces there (often fairly reasonably priced, i still shop there), but as far as PC's and Laptops go, we're not the target market. Where we're capable of dealing with research and assembly of specific builds, OS installs and troubleshooting, the majority of HN customers are not. They buy from there with the expectation of ongoing service, even years after their warranty has expired.

The pricing reflects the level of service you'll receive. You can pay absolute bottom dollar for your hardware from someone who barely speaks english and take your chances with often dodgy RMA processes, or you can pay a premium and pretty much demand a higher level of service. And yes, i'm aware that there are people around here who take themselves very seriously with their businesses and support, but the reality is that you're well in the minority when it comes to small time pc sales and support businesses.

Besides, you show me any small sales and support company that would replace a celeron 600 with a p4 free of charge, because the customer paid a 200 dorra extended warranty 4 and a half years ago. I did it, frequently.

I've never sold a Celeron, period. Those are the customers we refer to HN and the likes. If you want cheap shit, go to HN or some other retail store and get the $600-800 special. Our bottom of the line system has always been higher middle range including P4 or greater, highest frequency of RAM to match stock motherboard settings (DDR400, DDR2800, etc.) and a 3 year warranty, until very recently.

For that matter, I've never had an Intel CPU come back at all, within or outside of warranty. I've never seen a dead Pentium nor Celeron from our customers or our own systems. AMD is another story, but I won't go there now. :-)

But as a small custom computer business owner, I think I can beat that $200 example pretty easily and a few times over:

We've upgraded our own (8) systems every 6 months or so as a rule for the last 7 years, and then built used systems out of those components which we sell for around $600. Until last year, we'd never spent less than $400 on a motherboard, always had high performance RAM, and close to the fastest CPUs available at the time. So these used systems are high end and have heaps of life left in them.

A few years ago, I sold one of these used systems to a customer with a 1 year warranty for $600, included everything, OS, Office 2003 Pro, 2 yr AVG lisence, etc.. He brought it back dead after 10 months. He claimed he had turned it on and heard a "pop". I'm pretty sure it had taken a lightning strike as components were melted together and to the case itself. But I couldn't prove anything, and rather than even suggest something less than honorable, I built an entirely new/used system to replace his. With his software keys and all, I was still out well over $1100 from my own pocket (didn't have used components for everything, so some were new and still in the box).

(Contrary to popular belief, if an act of god (EG: lightning, flood) or something you do (EG: BIOS set to 1.6v, dropped out of a window) fries components, they are not covered under warranty. Warranty is only if the parts are defective, not for when something kills them.)

Another time a customer brought in his system to have the memory upgraded. He never mentioned a word about having problems with it, just wanted more memory. He dropped it off and left. I pulled the side cover off and went to start the system, but I couldn't get it to start. Replaced PSU, nothing. Replaced memory, nothing. Replaced all cables, nothing. Replaced everything short of motherboard, and still nothing. So I built him a new system with similar components and better/more memory. Approximately $850 out of my pocket, using only his original case (PSU, CPU, MB, DVD-RW, FDD, and RAM were toasted, although there were no visible marks on anything to suggest foul play or water damage).

(Now I make sure customers who want upgrades or repairs watch us start their PCs before they leave, just in case.)

We very rarely get warranty returns, and I remember the few that we have gotten pretty well. When we do, we bend over backwards to keep our reputation spotless and our customers happy. Both of the above situations cost us a bundle, but also resulted in a dozen more word of mouth customers each which we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I finger it all evens out in the long run. Er... figure*. :-)

I've never sold a Celeron, period. Those are the customers we refer to HN and the likes. If you want cheap shit, go to HN or some other retail store and get the $600-800 special. Our bottom of the line system has always been higher middle range including P4 or greater, highest frequency of RAM to match stock motherboard settings (DDR400, DDR2800, etc.) and a 3 year warranty, until very recently.

Why sell DDR400 when DDR266 or or DDR333 is suitable?

I wouldn't give customer service people a hard time if they knew anything about the product they were selling. I honestly didn't expect her to know alot but I at least expected her to know what OS the laptop has or admit she doesn't know instead of just saying "Yeah Windows"

On a lighter note, I went into Pascoe Vale MSY this week and was served by the token white guy there, Shaun I believe his name is and got awesome service. He actually helped me choose things and new plenty about the parts. Very suprised for MSY!

I wouldn't give customer service people a hard time if they knew anything about the product they were selling. I honestly didn't expect her to know alot but I at least expected her to know what OS the laptop has or admit she doesn't know instead of just saying "Yeah Windows"

On a lighter note, I went into Pascoe Vale MSY this week and was served by the token white guy there, Shaun I believe his name is and got awesome service. He actually helped me choose things and new plenty about the parts. Very suprised for MSY!

Which my MSY guys knew plenty stuff about the parts

Which my MSY guys knew plenty stuff about the parts