adam93

This mob should be shut down

darklife41. Yes in that comment i did have poor punctuation. When i type fast and at night, I do not think about what I say, I agree. No need for the rundown though... AS I WAS SAYING!, Harvey Norman spend a lot more money on advertising to get their products out there. I don't recieve catelougs in the mail from my local computer store, nor do i see them on television, nor do I walk into a big fancy store with someone coming up to me asking if I need a hand. Do you think all that shit is free?. No, it would not be. I've also found that a lot of local computer shops are a lot more expensive on laptops then what other retail stores are. I would struggle to find a core2 laptop, 2g ram, 250g hdd, vista home premium for under $650. But WOW hooked me up ;).

To me, being $850 out of pocket to fix a machine is poor business management to me...

I've never sold a Celeron, period. Those are the customers we refer to HN and the likes. If you want cheap shit, go to HN or some other retail store and get the $600-800 special. Our bottom of the line system has always been higher middle range including P4 or greater, highest frequency of RAM to match stock motherboard settings (DDR400, DDR2800, etc.) and a 3 year warranty, until very recently.

Why sell DDR400 when DDR266 or or DDR333 is suitable?

Simple. Because DDR400 is better, which is also why it costs a bit more. :-)

I've never sold a Celeron, period. Those are the customers we refer to HN and the likes. If you want cheap shit, go to HN or some other retail store and get the $600-800 special. Our bottom of the line system has always been higher middle range including P4 or greater, highest frequency of RAM to match stock motherboard settings (DDR400, DDR2800, etc.) and a 3 year warranty, until very recently.

On many systems... no, it wasn't any better. It was identical, as it was run on the lower speed.

Has always been one of my pet peeves - people upselling because it's "better"... without it actually providing any tangible benefit.

On many systems... no, it wasn't any better. It was identical, as it was run on the lower speed.

Has always been one of my pet peeves - people upselling because it's "better"... without it actually providing any tangible benefit.

This.

I'm not going to tell you how to run your business because, by what you've posted, you'll be lucky to be around for another 6 months.

Edited by Juggalo Scrub

To me, being $850 out of pocket to fix a machine is poor business management to me...

No offence, but it doesn't really matter to me what is considered good or bad business practice to anyone else. That's why I don't work for someone else, and would never work someone with your views. I sleep very well at night, and will retire very soon (hopefully in less than 2 years, at 52 years old) with several million dollars in banks in both Australia and USA. If that's poor business management, I'm all about being a poor business manager. Not many mom & pop shops have been nearly as successful over the last 15 years, so we must have done something right. Kind of funny really, that 15 years ago I started over with virtually nothing, and right after a divorce. :-)

JS said he'd replaced those items several times. I'm sure the repeat business from those customers more than offset the losses. So in my opinion, that's great customer service, and hard to come by in this day and age.

Our situations were one offs and meant nothing to us as far as our monthly profit.

To me, good business practice is going the extra mile to make my customers happy. I can point to dozens of new customers that were added due to word of mouth advertising from these 2 examples, which more than offsets any losses we encurred. And those 2 customers were mine for life. That's what business is all about to me.

I'm not in competition with HN as they can't match our low end system (quality, price, warranty, nor service), and we have no desire to sell what they offer. We're also system builders/repairers rather than a components retailer.

Marketing is nothing more than a marketing gimmick in my opinion, depending upon your niche. Reputation is what makes a business successful or not. I've never spent more than $4000/yr on a full page telephone directory ad, and only ran that for 2 years in the USA and then 2 years here. I'd much rather let my customers do my advertising for free. ;-)

As I said, we've always used expensive motherboards. They matched the RAM we put in them perfectly, so there was no "upselling" involved. We don't sell cheap crap. Our niche has always been higher end systems.

This.

I'm not going to tell you how to run your business because, by what you've posted, you'll be lucky to be around for another 6 months.

Roughly 14 1/2 years too late for that. But I'd gladly retire in 6 months, all I have to do is convince the wife to quit earlier. :-)