so its been a while since i upgraded, about six years in memory serves correct and i've lost touch with all the lastest technology and in need of some help.

I'm looking at a basic system around 1k

I've decided on a few things,

1TB HD

i5/i7 (not sure which one)

ATI 5750/5770 (not sure which one)

4GB 1600 DDR3 RAM

Optical Drive

Wireless card

New Keyboard and Laser Mouse

not sure which motherboard (will be a P55 chipset)

any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated

Edited by Optimus

I will just refer you to the i5 build I posted in this thread. For about 1k it should fit the bill.

Oh and this should be posted in "building/trouble shooting" :)

Also you will need a new case and PSU which you forgot to mention, (but is covered in my build) just add you keyboard/mouse combo and your away. I do not recommend wireless for your desktop computer especially for gaming on line as it can lag at crucial moments.

Edited by bowiee

Hey Optimus, from what's I've been reading, i5 is the way to go at this stage if you're using the system for gaming and other general stuff. Also like bowiee said, unless it is a 100% needed, I would stay away from wireless if you're to be doing some online gaming.

Not going to get under $1000 for that build.

Bowiee's choices aren't bad, and very similar to what our low end system is now, but I'd still go with the GA-P55A-UD3R to get the SATA 3 and USB 3 for when they become available.

The RAM is overkill unless you plan to Overclock it seriously. You'll see no difference in daily usage or games with that memory unless you OC the CPU, and then you'll need a better CPU cooler as well (add another $100 or so). Otherwise save $30 and go with 2x2GB Kingston 1333 or similar.

I'd also save a few $ and get a Corsair VX450w (5 year warranty, $100) as that build won't need more. :-)

so DDR3 really isn't worth the extra money unless you're doing some major ocing?

so DDR3 really isn't worth the extra money unless you're doing some major ocing?

No DDR3 is good, but you can save a lot of money by getting slightly lower rated RAM. Basically making your RAM run faster won't help very much; the main reason you have to buy RAM which is rated for higher clock speeds is because OC'ing your CPU will necessarily involve an OC of your RAM, which may or may not be feasible depending on the rating.

In your case 1333 MHz should be fine.

Edited by turro

so ive decided what i going to buy any alterations welcome

intel i5

gigabyte p55a-ud4

1tb hdd, brand unsure

gigabyte ati hd5770 1gb rev 2.0

4gb 1600Mhz ram ddr3

550W psu (brand unsure)

22x dvd burner

case unsure as yet, probably generic, not too fussed.