Sign in to follow this  
iamthemaxx

Google's Nexus

http://www.crn.com.au/News/163957,update-g...ne-handset.aspx

Yep it's true.

Available in US, UK, Hong Kong and Singapore (but not here, yet).

No ETA on the actual unit though.

The Nexus One uses a 3.7 inch OLED screen, 1GHz Snapdragon processor, supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, is 11.5mm thick and weighs less than a standard Swiss Army knife. It also comes with GPS, a five megapixel camera with flash, a proximity sensor and accelerometer and has removable storage via MicroSD.

On the software side the company demonstrated the 3D graphics capability of the phone, has built in noise cancelling technology and has software to convert speech to text so that messages can be spoken rather than typed on the phone's virtual keyboard.

The handset runs Android 2.1, codenamed Éclair, but Andy Rubin, Google's vice president of engineering who has led the Nexus project, said that not all handsets currently using the Android would be using the new operating system.

I really thought they might include Australia initially given the level of operations they have over here.

Even if there are technical/legal reasons that delay a launch, at least allow people to buy online and cop the risk of no support.

I really thought they might include Australia initially given the level of operations they have over here.

Even if there are technical/legal reasons that delay a launch, at least allow people to buy online and cop the risk of no support.

You can still import it through unoffical channels.

Nexus One Technical Specifications

UMTS Band 1/4/8 (2100/AWS/900)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Looks like you could use with Vodafone without delay i think.

I like how they have the SD card, no longer are you restricted to the inbuilt memory (as much)!

When I visited http://www.google.com/phone this morning I shed a little tear when I read "Sorry, the Nexus One phone is not available in your country."

My brother is in the UK, so I'm thinking of getting him to ship it to me.

It will be mine...oh yes...it will be mine.

edit: Actually it's probably going to be a hell of a lot cheaper to get someone in the US to ship it. Plan B!

Edited by Leckie

Might think about getting one of these. Tbh, I've never had a proper/good mobile phone before.

Google's quest for owning all knowledge scares me though :P. Don't want them listening in on my phone sex.

So it has the same ARM Cortex-A8 core as the 3GS, but clocked at 1GHz instead of 600MHz.

What's the deal with getting root on them and being able to access the Marketplace?

Rob.

Google's quest for owning all knowledge scares me though :P. Don't want them listening in on my phone sex.

Given they aren't a carrier, you can take your tinfoil hat off.

Given they aren't a carrier, you can take your tinfoil hat off.

For now... It's only a matter of time.

I want one too but it's silly amount of money. If you use your mobile for work purposes can you claim that shit back on your tax?

So it has the same ARM Cortex-A8 core as the 3GS, but clocked at 1GHz instead of 600MHz.

What's the deal with getting root on them and being able to access the Marketplace?

Rob.

That was Optus not letting G1 Users access the marketplace. So they had to "root" their phone to access it.

For now... It's only a matter of time.

I want one too but it's silly amount of money. If you use your mobile for work purposes can you claim that shit back on your tax?

Only a percentage i think.

Rob.

That was Optus not letting G1 Users access the marketplace. So they had to "root" their phone to access it.

Ah, I didn't mean to refer to anything specific - but I like having my iPhone jailbroken and would like to do the same with Android - but that would be a problem if it removed access to the Marketplace.

Rob.

I just watched the youtube again and must say I want one bad. I agree with you dog it's a little bit ugly but it's got a nice personality :)

I wonder if I can just wifi episodes of the daily show to it or download them directly and watch them on my way to wizzerk without and video jiggery pokery?

And I also wonder if I can just plug the damn thing in with USB and use it like an external drive?

All I really want out of my phone is sweet PMP skills (video) and enough battery to smash it for a full day without it dieing.

512 Internal storage is pretty fucking weak sauce imho.

No matter what phone is released and what features it has it won't compete because it can't access the amount of apps the iphone has!

Who here has an iphone and has thought "I wish there was an app that did *****" then checked the app store and found it exists. I do it all the time. Within reason there is an app for EVERYTHING!

No matter what phone is released and what features it has it won't compete because it can't access the amount of apps the iphone has!

Who here has an iphone and has thought "I wish there was an app that did *****" then checked the app store and found it exists. I do it all the time. Within reason there is an app for EVERYTHING!

I don't know if you are aware of this thing called time. You see we define it as the continuum of existence, the passage of ones self from the present moment into the future. There are other definitions but for the sake of this discussion we will limit it to that, otherwise things get a little bit hairy.

Now this passing of time generally involves changes. You get older, others get older, shit happens; You are moving from the present into the future.

This change can also be called growth in entropy, but again I will just mention it without too much fan fare because that is a whole different matter.

So, how does this relate to your comment? Well I'm glad you asked!

You see, what/where something is now does not necessitate the same level of existence will be true after the passage of time.

In other words, and to directly relate that to your comments, so what if the iPhone has "an app for EVERYTHING!"? If people buy and like the Nexus (hell, if people buy and like any phone based on Android, and this year is looking pretty good so far for the platform), once it's built on Google's Nexus platform you can pretty much guarantee that people will be porting these to older versions of Android (if they can).

So in all likeliness you will see a pretty dramatic growth in the number of applications for the Nexus, even if they aren't ported back.

I can't predict the future, all I can do it move into it at a predetermined rate (which is another thorny thing to get into) and take an educated guess on the probability of something occurring.

Let me know if you want me to get into a further dialog based around my understanding of economics (market forces, demand and supply, etc) and why I think this.

Oh one thing I should note, this doesn't just apply to the Nexus, it goes for pretty much any phone versus the iPhone.

And don't get me wrong about the iPhone, I have one, I love it, but your comments lead me to believe you are part of the hill60606 clan.

Edited by iamthemaxx

Gee, imthemaxx, I didn't know you could be so deep! I feel all metaphysically refreshed now. :)

I'm curious to see all the buzz being created over this phone. As far as I can tell the only really interesting points about it are:

1. The CPU is faster.

2. It's running a new Android OS.

3. It's from Google.

I must be awfully blunt because I'm failing to see any other compelling reason to get a Nexus One. Is anyone able to explain what all the fuss is about? A point-for-point factual comparison would be nice (to prevent this thread from degenerating into rampant fanboyism like another recent thread).

For me it's the realisation of the Android platform, it has a lot of potential and I think that this will be a great kick starter to providing consumers with better choice.

Google's Nexus One smartphone bypasses Australia

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/i...x-1225816762196

I guess we'll be getting it late like every other phone.

That was expected. I not suprisied, Australia isn't as big as market as the US / UK / Hong Kong and Singapore. Though we are more populated than Hong Kong and Singapore. So what gives?

I can see a flood of grey market phones hitting ebay right now. I think it best to wait it out. They are charging close to double the phone cost. Which is crazy.

Google's Nexus One smartphone bypasses Australia

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/i...x-1225816762196

I guess we'll be getting it late like every other phone.

That was expected. I not suprisied, Australia isn't as big as market as the US / UK / Hong Kong and Singapore. Though we are more populated than Hong Kong and Singapore. So what gives?

I can see a flood of grey market phones hitting ebay right now. I think it best to wait it out. They are charging close to double the phone cost. Which is crazy.

Yes, I'm really annoyed we wait for ages for new phones and then get charged twice the price of everyone else when we get it here.