Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
iamthemaxx

Google's Nexus

3. It's from Google.

Company loyalty is hardly a bonus.

I want one but it will depend on the price tag when they arrive. I really need something for organising all work appointments and meetings but all the decent phones out there are far too overpriced imo.

No matter what phone is released and what features it has it won't compete because it can't access the amount of apps the iphone has!

So, how does this relate to your comment? Well I'm glad you asked!

So in all likeliness you will see a pretty dramatic growth in the number of applications for the Nexus, even if they aren't ported back.

Let me know if you want me to get into a further dialog based around my understanding of economics (market forces, demand and supply, etc) and why I think this.

Oh one thing I should note, this doesn't just apply to the Nexus, it goes for pretty much any phone versus the iPhone.

Apart from the rather insurmountable problem at the moment of the Nexus only having 190MB of space available for installation of applications, hence how would I, for example duplicate the functionality of 4.5GB of iPhone Apps, some of which are larger than 190MB on an Android handset?

Syncing a new iPhone to all my backed up Apps in iTunes seems a much easier route.

Maybe you can delete some of the built in applications, the one's Google uses to serve ads with, the one's Google make their revenue off, or maybe not as that would not make economic sense for Google.

Edited by hill60606

Haha Did you get that out of your system?

I actually don't have an iPhone anymore, I used to but got rid of it.

I can't predict the future, all I can do it move into it at a predetermined rate (which is another thorny thing to get into) and take an educated guess on the probability of something occurring.

Let me know if you want me to get into a further dialog based around my understanding of economics (market forces, demand and supply, etc) and why I think the Android/Nexus/GooglePhone is just going to end up like the whole Linux Vs Windows thing. The geeks who want to be clever and flex their superiority will use linux (android) and the rest of normal society will still remain iphone'd.

Edited by llmoose

Haha Did you get that out of your system?

I actually don't have an iPhone anymore, I used to but got rid of it.

I can't predict the future, all I can do it move into it at a predetermined rate (which is another thorny thing to get into) and take an educated guess on the probability of something occurring.

Let me know if you want me to get into a further dialog based around my understanding of economics (market forces, demand and supply, etc) and why I think the Android/Nexus/GooglePhone is just going to end up like the whole Linux Vs Windows thing. The geeks who want to be clever and flex their superiority will use linux (android) and the rest of normal society will still remain iphone'd.

Why did you get rid of your iphone llmoose?

I smashed the screen and had it replaced twice due to my carelessness. After the 2nd time I gave it to the mrs to use. She loves it and I just use an old V9 moto that I can cheaply replace.

And was the point of your comment?

Just asking dude. I wanted to know why he got rid of it.

I'm curious to see all the buzz being created over this phone. As far as I can tell the only really interesting points about it are:

1. The CPU is faster.

2. It's running a new Android OS.

3. It's from Google.

Only one of those reasons will cause me to want one. The other two are reasons for me to avoid getting one.

lol

Sorry that was to llmoose! If he got rid of it then why does he care how many apps the iPhone has?

lol

Sorry that was to llmoose! If he got rid of it then why does he care how many apps the iPhone has?

I was simply pointing out my opinion. I don't own many of the new fords but comment regularly on their forums with my OPINION. Wonderful things these internet forums, a place where people can share their opinions!

HTC Google Nexus One Euro Spec - Supports Multi Touch

Blame the iPhone multi-touch pantent in the US to blame. So anyone importing, import the Euro Spec version. Very similar to Motorola Milestone has it and the Motorola Droid does not.

Edit for clarity

Vodafone will sell the Nexus One This Year

Considering we’re only in January, the promise of the Nexus One arriving in Australia through Vodafone “sometime 2010″ isn’t completely reassuring, especially with the rapid quality jumps that happens in the smartphone market. But at least it’s something to look forward to, I guess.

According to Liam Tung at ZDNet, Google’s agreement with Vodafone to release the Nexus One in the UK and other European countries is a global partnership in each territory Vodafone has a network, which obviously includes Australia.

So ultimately now, we have no idea if we’ll see the phone next week or sometime in December, but sometime this year Vodafone will sell the Nexus One in Australia. Who’s happy?

Edited by 2SHY

I'm going to hold out for the UK release then.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/vodafon...ew-short-weeks/

Nexus One's vague Europe-bound release window has tightened up quite a bit. A Vodafone spokesperson said the Google Phone is coming first in the UK and -- here's the kicker -- within "a few short weeks." France, Germany, and a few other unnamed companies are following after later in the year. Enjoy your new Android device across the pond, ladies and gents.

lol

No worries dude. I tend to stalk Llmooses posts anyway I tend to get a good laugh out of them.

Apart from the rather insurmountable problem at the moment of the Nexus only having 190MB of space available for installation of applications, hence how would I, for example duplicate the functionality of 4.5GB of iPhone Apps, some of which are larger than 190MB on an Android handset?

I went through this in the last thread.

Let us take the good example of a GPS application with local maps. We'll see that it takes... oh, 1Gb as an average amount.

The executable of that application would be, 10mb maximum? And that's with lazy programming.

Device Storage: Executable -> 10Mb

SD Card: Data -> 990Mb

Pretty simple. Easily overcome. Not insurmountable, albeit a limitation. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's not as large an issue as you make it out to be.

Hey, remember this?

I went through this in the last thread.

Let us take the good example of a GPS application with local maps. We'll see that it takes... oh, 1Gb as an average amount.

The executable of that application would be, 10mb maximum? And that's with lazy programming.

Device Storage: Executable -> 10Mb

SD Card: Data -> 990Mb

Pretty simple. Easily overcome. Not insurmountable, albeit a limitation. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's not as large an issue as you make it out to be.

Perhaps Girvo is one of the very few people who have learnt to treat each product as an individual consideration, rather than painting everything with the same brush. At that time, his concerns were valid, and it was evident that he wasn't quite unhappy, hence the thread. It was two years ago, too.

Not to mention it has nothing to do with storage capacity of the Nexus One.

Or it's inability to sync with my 4.5GB of iPhone Apps, which as I pointed out makes it unsuitable to meet my needs, of course any opinions I may have are dismissed with the term "fanboy" but what the hey, Android is good for Java Apps and you can always root it to add missing functionality except that a memory card will never match the access speed of inbuilt NAND flash memory.

In my opinion Android isn't that much of a threat to the iPhone ecosystem, it is more of a threat to more established OS's such as Symbian and WinMo.

Releasing the Nexus is a strange move for Google as it is competing directly against other manufacturer's Android phones, such as the Motorola Milestone/Droid, SonyEricsson X10 etc.

Google's aim is to get Android on as many phones as possible, attract developers (while helping them cope with Androids fragmentation) in order to profit from their core business, targeted advertising using information gathered from the habits of it's users.

but wtf, life's pretty boring without having a bit of fun with my old Opera Mini bookmarks which I came across via another thread.

Perhaps Girvo is one of the very few people who have learnt to treat each product as an individual consideration, rather than painting everything with the same brush. At that time, his concerns were valid, and it was evident that he wasn't quite unhappy, hence the thread. It was two years ago, too.

Not to mention it has nothing to do with storage capacity of the Nexus One.

Edited by hill60606

Hey, remember this?

Yep, which is why I just purchased a Toshiba TG01. I vowed never to buy a Windows Mobile HTC device again, and I've kept to my word. I fail to see what that has to do with my above post however.

I was talking to Girvo about this a while ago.

Many of your average consumers see it as the phone to beat the iPhone.

On paper it looks pretty good, technically it's superior.

For me though, the best thing about a phone of this sort is the software, and how easy to sync it with all my applications.

That, and the user interface which allows you to access these apps.

For me, the iPhone is wonderful because not only are there iPhone versions of many of the mac programs I love and use, I can also sync the information back and forth easily.

In addition, the app store is pretty good (there's a lot of average stuff on there though).

The main thing I've seen marketed has been the fact it's an android platform and therefore is easier to develop for than the iPhone due to Apples somewhat strict application guidelines and app store process.

I personally believe that having the somewhat strict process to get an application into the app store is a good thing. It helps raise the quality of applications (although as I mentioned before, there's still a lot of shit apps). I'm really interested in seeing if having an easier platform with less restrictions makes for better apps, or if it simply means you'll have more shit to sift through.

In terms of UI, the iPhone UI is great. I typically don't like touch screens, but it works well. The Nexus seems to have a very similarly designed touch screen which is no doubt also good although you'd have to use it to make a solid recommendation for it.

The applications that have mac based counterparts generally have a well designed UI that help make the program accessible via the touchscreen interface without a loss of power to the application. Many of native iPhone applications similarly have good UI design (like the apps themselves, there's also a large amount of average UI's too).

Given the Nexus isn't the only android phone on the market, I wonder how well people will cater specifically for it's screen (I'm assuming it's slightly different to other android phones) and whether or not this will give it a boost against the iPhone or work against the Nexus.

Definitely will be interesting to see how it shapes the market, don't think it's the phone for me (yet).

Edited by superfireydave

I can see your point about shifting through all the crappy apps. But when you think about it, Windows and Linux are also free to develop on, and despite all the shit software out there, people are still able to collaborate and share their recommendations. I guess you could use my freeware thread in the 'Windows' section as an example. Personally, I'd rather decide for myself if an app is crap or not.

Yeah that's true, but in comparison, I find Mac has a lot more useful little applications for me than Windows does (Windows has a lot of bigger apps I like to use on it tho). Stuff like UI standards help make that happen, which don't really apply to iPhones or the Nexus so I don't think it's really a fair comparison :(