Sign in to follow this  
iamthemaxx

Google's Nexus

I havn't used Android, but I woud like to see more integration of Google docs into the Office doc processing on the phone, in the same vein Gmail, calendars and the like.

I'm extremely underwhelmed by this phone. I've had the device for 4 hours and I hate it, I wiped it clean and repackaged it. I'm sure I can find some Llama who will want it.

I'm extremely underwhelmed by this phone. I've had the device for 4 hours and I hate it, I wiped it clean and repackaged it. I'm sure I can find some Llama who will want it.

How much you want for it? :P

USA version or European Version?

I'm curious as to why you dislike the phone. I'm also interested in obtaining one. :P

EU. The interface is poor, the layout is poor, the touch screen is poor, the keyboard is poor, should I continue?

EU. The interface is poor, the layout is poor, the touch screen is poor, the keyboard is poor, should I continue?

Two of the main advantages of Googles phones are things that are not available in Australia.

Google Voice and voice guided navigation in Google maps.

"Google Voice: Coming soon

Google Voice is a service that enhances the existing capabilities of your phone numbers. With it, you can access your voicemail online, read automatic transcriptions of your voicemail, create personalized greetings based on who is calling, make cheap international calls, and more.

Google Voice is currently invitation only. Please leave us your email address and we'll send you an invite as they become available.

When can I sign up?

Once you receive a Google Voice invite, you're ready to get started. You can use an existing Google Account, or create a new one."

and

"Google Voice invitation request

Please leave your name and email below, and we'll send you an invitation to join Google Voice in the near future. We are aggressively moving through the invitation requests and anticipate that it will be a short wait before you receive your invitation.

Please note that Google Voice is only available for sign up in the US.

Name *

Email *

This email address will only be used to inform you about when you will be able to sign up and will not be collected or used for any marketing purposes.

Learn more about Google Voice."

Source

Edited by hill60606

Oh I forgot, the build quality is comparable to that of a cheese eating surrender monkey automobile.

But on the up side, the box the manual, the quick start guide and the accessories are quite well made, the paper even being made from a fully biodegradable chalk product.

Well I don't mind it as an overall experience, it's certainly different to the jesusphone and in a good way.

Physically it has good weight, the screen is nice and big but tends to get dirty easy (fingerprints) and it seems more noticeable than the iPhone.

The roller ball is just plain useless, hopefully V2 will see it removed and enlarging the fixed buttons at the bottom of the screen. My guess is it was aimed at the blackberry users, I could get used to it but it's just not sensitive enough to be useful and as far as I can see you can't change the sensitivity.

The speaker is nice, clear and loud, a lot better than the jesusphone.

The touch sensitivity is a bit lacking and I need to hit keys more than once, it's annoying but you get used to it by pushing a little harder on the buttons (than you would need to on the jesusphone). Of all the things this is by far the most annoying, especially when I am trying to get the frakking thing to snooze in the morning.

If they can fix this I'd be totally happy.

The other main thing that needs fixing is that once the phone is screen locked you need to hit the power button to reactivate it and then unlock it. The fixed buttons at the bottom won't do that, which is a minor inconvenience.

I am on Virgin (via Optus) and I was able to access the 3G HDSPA network without a problem.

Locational services, compass, google maps all good. I am yet to try AR though.

OS wise it's great. Very snazzy, the screen seems to have a lot more life and vibrancy than the jesusphone. The interface is snappy (minus the touch issue above) and it's only when I am downloading a half dozen apps at a time that it slows noticeably.

There is a bunch of neat shortcuts on one of the main 'home pages' that let you easily switch on/off bluetooth/wireless/GPS-locational services/push updates (for email)/temporarily brighten the screen.

The Google voice search works really well, except it didn't recognise "fucking ace" and thought I said "##### 8" :p

On the app side of things, there is heaps. It's no jesusphone app store but there is a shitload of cool apps, including some which aren't on aforementioned product.

I plugged this into my Win7 machine and it just connected (once you mount it via the phone). This also just worked on my Ubuntu box.

A FUCKLOAD easier than the iPhone, no more iTunes bullshit.

Overall I like it, a few haptic issues could be fixed to make this release king shit, but just like the V1 jesusphone things can only get better.

One other thing to mention, I like the little notification bar at the top of the screen, you can pull it down to see SMSs, emails etc.

It'd be nice if it was touch(click)able rather than hold and drag, as you can tend to miss SMSs if you aren't careful.

Or alternatively have something like the jesusphone number on the homepage icon.

One other thing to mention, I like the little notification bar at the top of the screen, you can pull it down to see SMSs, emails etc.

It'd be nice if it was touch(click)able rather than hold and drag, as you can tend to miss SMSs if you aren't careful.

Or alternatively have something like the jesusphone number on the homepage icon.

I dont personally see why you call it the Jesusphone.........

I've tried out AR, there is some cool stuff there like Google Sky.

Some apps are just GPS and compass based overlays for points of interest, fast food and so on. But it's still neat and you can swap between a list, google maps or AR easily.

Google maps works well too as does chat.

I dont personally see why you call it the Jesusphone.........

Thanks for the heads up.

A nice standalone GUI/client to allow easy transfer of contacts, music etc would be nice as well.

A nice standalone GUI/client to allow easy transfer of contacts, music etc would be nice as well.

You mean a program that works like iTunes?

You mean a program that works like iTunes?

You mean a program that doesn't work on my computer even after 6 complete Windows reinstalls?

Yep that one.

Besides, iTunes is lacking in a number of areas and it means you are suffering from major vendor lock in.

jesusphone

Because it was the Messiah (as in a good thing)? Or because people mindlessly follow it (not such a good thing)?

Rob.

Maxx, it would seem that many people are having the same touchscreen issues. The good news is that Google said they're working on fixing it with a patch, or if they find it's a hardware issue, they'll fix it for free.

Maxx, it would seem that many people are having the same touchscreen issues. The good news is that Google said they're working on fixing it with a patch, or if they find it's a hardware issue, they'll fix it for free.

And what send it back to USA...That would suck

Gotta wonder why it was released to market in the first place, in such a state.

Gotta wonder why it was released to market in the first place, in such a state.

To be honest, I have no idea. I know a few people with one that have had no issues at all, so who knows.