Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
TinBane

Cheap Macro Lenses

There are so many, with different designs. Some look like 'proper' lenses, others look like real cheap POS.

Has anyone tried them out? On the one hand, I'm kind of tempted, because many are so cheap. On the other hand, I know I'll be disappointed in the results.

I'm guessing they'll be full of distortion, and the results might lack sharpness and colour fidelity.

Has anyone actually had a good experience with a cheap macro? For all I know you guys are all using them and laughing at anyone spending $100+ on a macro :P~

EDIT:

See, things like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/For-Nikon-Macro-Bellow...#ht_1496wt_1194

I'm sure are super-awesome products that produce great results :P~

Edited by TinBane

Nothing wrong with bellows.

As for sub-$100 lenses....well, at least you won't lose much.

Bellows can be good.. Although it depends on what type of macro photography you want to do.

If you want to take moving objects, forget about it.

Flowers, plants, nature, stationary objects. It can be worthwhile.

Rob.

I've seen some great results off cheap manual focus lenses and then reversed.

I guess it's just luck of the draw most of the time!

bellows works great, though i find with mine I had to get a manual focus rail as well, so I could also move the camera side to side, and forwards and back a bit, helps a lot, since I use bellows on a tripod, and then with a wireless flash.

got some great results from a 50mm prime, both on normal on bellows and reversed on top of bellows.

bellows works great, though i find with mine I had to get a manual focus rail as well, so I could also move the camera side to side, and forwards and back a bit, helps a lot, since I use bellows on a tripod, and then with a wireless flash.

got some great results from a 50mm prime, both on normal on bellows and reversed on top of bellows.

Just did these with a Canon EFS 18-55mm on a 150mm rail/bellows.

Posted Image

Posted Image