iamthemaxx

For those doubting Android

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/01/04/...250-iPhone-Down

Mobile: Android Phone Demand Up 250%, iPhone Down on Monday January 04, @07:17PM

Posted by kdawson on Monday January 04, @07:17PM

from the so-last-century dept.

CWmike writes "A 'monstrous' jump in demand for Android-equipped smartphones has turned the market upside down, according to a retail pollster. Of the people who told ChangeWave Research in a mid-December survey that they planned to buy a smartphone in the next 90 days, 21% said they expected to purchase an Android phone. That number represented a 250% increase over the 6% that pegged Android as their mobile OS of choice when ChangeWave last queried consumers' plans in September. 'That change rivals anything that we've seen in the last three years of the smartphone market,' said Paul Carton, ChangeWave's director of research, adding that the sudden surge in consumer interest in Android had 'roiled' the market. 'This is an indication that Android has finally caught consumer interest,' added Carton, who cited the recent advertising campaign for the Motorola Droid smartphone as the reason why interest in Android has skyrocketed. Android's leap translated into good news for Motorola and HTC, the most prominent makers of Google-powered handsets, with the former reaping most of the benefit. Motorola's share of smartphone purchases in the next 90 days shot up from 1% in September to 13% in December. Carton tagged the company's Droid as the reason. '[it's] the first increase for Motorola we've seen in three years,' Carton said."

Yep, it's definitely the year of the Android.

It'd be great to see if other competitors will be able to/try to keep up. We should see some great features this year in phones.

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/01/04/...250-iPhone-Down

Mobile: Android Phone Demand Up 250%, iPhone Down on Monday January 04, @07:17PM

Posted by kdawson on Monday January 04, @07:17PM

from the so-last-century dept.

CWmike writes "A 'monstrous' jump in demand for Android-equipped smartphones has turned the market upside down, according to a retail pollster. Of the people who told ChangeWave Research in a mid-December survey that they planned to buy a smartphone in the next 90 days, 21% said they expected to purchase an Android phone. That number represented a 250% increase over the 6% that pegged Android as their mobile OS of choice when ChangeWave last queried consumers' plans in September. 'That change rivals anything that we've seen in the last three years of the smartphone market,' said Paul Carton, ChangeWave's director of research, adding that the sudden surge in consumer interest in Android had 'roiled' the market. 'This is an indication that Android has finally caught consumer interest,' added Carton, who cited the recent advertising campaign for the Motorola Droid smartphone as the reason why interest in Android has skyrocketed. Android's leap translated into good news for Motorola and HTC, the most prominent makers of Google-powered handsets, with the former reaping most of the benefit. Motorola's share of smartphone purchases in the next 90 days shot up from 1% in September to 13% in December. Carton tagged the company's Droid as the reason. '[it's] the first increase for Motorola we've seen in three years,' Carton said."

Yep, it's definitely the year of the Android.

It'd be great to see if other competitors will be able to/try to keep up. We should see some great features this year in phones.

You left out the 28% will buy iPhone's part of the ChangeWave report.

That puts Android squarely in the #2 spot for planned purchases behind Apple, which saw 28% of respondents wanting iPhone OS to be in charge of the smartphone they planned to purchase. Apple has lead this part of the survey for several quarters, but December's 28% mark is down from the 32% mark in September.

Source

I expect established companies like Nokia will continue to be the biggest losers out of this.

I didn't leave anything out, I just copied what was there.

Interesting to note it is down a little though.

Nokia is apparently looking to establish Maemo in its N series devices while being committed to Symbian. Apparently.

There will have to be a lot of work put into Android, more so devices running it, for me to considering moving away from iPhone and iPhone OS.

Edited by AIMBOT

The simple fact of the matter is that if you walked down any street in Australia maybe even the world and asked two simple questions.

Do you know what an Android or Google phone is and do you want one?

Most people would be like errr nooooo don't think so!

Though if you asked people the same about the iPhone well we all know what would happen from there.

Its the same with the MP3 players that logitech were producing a few years ago, I have no idea if they still are making them but they were actually superior to the ipod of the time and were a much better unit, although people still brought the ipod in mass and the Logitech was stuck on the shelves even though it was the better & cheaper option.

I'm not saying it won't be awesome or successful it just won't be a world beater. I might even look into buying one if they have a rugged model that I won't break. I am just willing to bet everything I've got that it won't come within a whisker of the iphone's popularity.

Edited by llmoose

The simple fact of the matter is that if you walked down any street in Australia maybe even the world and asked two simple questions.

Though if you asked people the same about the iPhone well we all know what would happen from there.

imo, yes, there would be more people on average who would be willing to nab the iPhone.

But, if you ran into someone who read atomic, apc, or has read about and is interested in the android, would they rather the iPhone?

I personally would get the Android and not look back.

If you walked down the street and asked 100 people If google made a phone would you want one? Most would say yes if not all.

Android is neither here nor there for people that are not us (99% of the phone market) it's the Google part the majority of the phone market will be wowed by.

I honestly believe that the Android platform will accelerate faster in terms of apps than the iPhone. The open source community is well established, and they're willing to make quality applications free of charge. That's a lot more appealing than paying for proprietary software without the ability to get frequent updates.

You also get a lot more choice, both hardware and software wise. With the iPhone, you're stuck with the iPhone. With Android, you get to choose a device that suits you. I really like having that option available to me. I also like multitasking and being able to do trivial tasks such as altering a background image. And I must say, that 1GHz Snapdragon CPU is very appealing in the new phones.

imo, yes, there would be more people on average who would be willing to nab the iPhone.

But, if you ran into someone who read atomic, apc, or has read about and is interested in the android, would they rather the iPhone?

Thats my point exactly, Only people who are informed and interested in the subject of smartphones are going to even consider an android.

The other main point about the iPhone is that everything just works. Anyone who can send an email can use an iPhone and set it up with their computer. If Google can have a streamlined GUI that works even 80% as well as the iPhones then they will be getting somewhere. I'm not talking about functionality and capability I'm talking about the response it will draw from the 80% of the population who aren't technogeeks and just want a nice phone and be able to use it!

The other main point about the iPhone is that everything just works. Anyone who can send an email can use an iPhone and set it up with their computer. If Google can have a streamlined GUI that works even 80% as well as the iPhones then they will be getting somewhere. I'm not talking about functionality and capability I'm talking about the response it will draw from the 80% of the population who aren't technogeeks and just want a nice phone and be able to use it!

I haven't use Android OS extensively, but from what I've seen, it's quite user friendly.

The other main point about the iPhone is that everything just works. Anyone who can send an email can use an iPhone and set it up with their computer.

This made me lol.

I think that if google advertises it will become a hit. As many people seeing the google part of the name will want to know more about it. And if they're willing to buy an iPhone they may be willing to buy google's version as such

Come buy an HTC Magic then, they've been gathering dust in our storeroom for almost a year, despite some fairly extensive promotion people don't care.

Android is a means to Google expanding their core business, revenue from advertising.

The FCC in America is looking into their recent purchase of AdMob.

I think that if google advertises it will become a hit. As many people seeing the google part of the name will want to know more about it. And if they're willing to buy an iPhone they may be willing to buy google's version as such

Speaking from experience, no they don't when there was a shortage of iPhone 3GS's in the middle of the year we were switch selling to Magics with very limited success.

Anyone remember this?

The Nexus is likely to come to Vodafone, they are already getting them for their European markets.

Edited by hill60606

The open platform Nexus (or anything Android based) will win out in the long run purely because it is not limited and restricted.

All they have to do is say 'Google phone', and people will check it out. Everyone knows Google, it's a very familiar brand. Then, if they go one step further and point out its advantages over the competition, there's a good change it'll grow in popularity very very quickly.

The open platform Nexus (or anything Android based) will win out in the long run purely because it is not limited and restricted.

It would be nice if Google released Google Voice and Voice Navigation to countries outside the US, speaking of "restricted".

All they have to do is say 'Google phone', and people will check it out. Everyone knows Google, it's a very familiar brand. Then, if they go one step further and point out its advantages over the competition, there's a good change it'll grow in popularity very very quickly.

Wrong, see my previous post regarding the HTC Magic, with Google plainly written on the back, there were even TV ads promoting it.

You get about as much interest as trying to sell Linux boxes in Harvey Norman.

Edited by hill60606

Wrong, see my previous post regarding the HTC Magic, with Google plainly written on the back, there were even TV ads promoting it.

Well, I never heard of it until now, so they obviously didn't do a good job. And the Magic isn't a Google designed phone, unlike the Nexus One. It's just an Android based phone. Sure, the same company makes it, but Google heavily influenced this particular model. It's the first 'true' Google phone.

I'm sure the average consumer would be thrilled to hear that they can get their apps for free, be able to customise their phone, get Flash support, and get high end hardware by choosing this alternative. You just have to sugar coat it like Apple do. Heck, even a worse phone than the 3GS can sell if you bullshit enough.

I'm sure the average consumer would be thrilled to hear that they can get their apps for free, be able to customise their phone, get Flash support, and get high end hardware by choosing this alternative.

That's the thing, I don't think that the average consumer would actually care.

I can't help but think that the mobile phone market is primarily about image, even before the iPhone hit the scene.

Rob.

I'm sure the average consumer would be thrilled to hear that they can get their apps for free, be able to customise their phone, get Flash support, and get high end hardware by choosing this alternative.

That's the thing, I don't think that the average consumer would actually care.

I can't help but think that the mobile phone market is primarily about image, even before the iPhone hit the scene.

Rob.

Sure. But tell any consumer about FREE apps, CUSTOMISABLE backgrounds and themes, a TRUE WEB EXPERIENCE with Flash, and 1GHz CPU and they get excited. You don't have to mention anything about open source, or having away at the OS. It's all about the marketing. :)

Well, I never heard of it until now, so they obviously didn't do a good job. And the Magic isn't a Google designed phone, unlike the Nexus One. It's just an Android based phone. Sure, the same company makes it, but Google heavily influenced this particular model. It's the first 'true' Google phone.

I'm sure the average consumer would be thrilled to hear that they can get their apps for free, be able to customise their phone, get Flash support, and get high end hardware by choosing this alternative. You just have to sugar coat it like Apple do. Heck, even a worse phone than the 3GS can sell if you bullshit enough.

I guess you're just succumbing to all the hype

Posted Image

You can see "Google" quite clearly on the back, i've had one to play around with for quite a few months now, all the free applications are ad supported, some of the applications are just a shameless promotion for a paid version.

The multimedia handling isn't terribly good either it uses HTC's weird micro USB plug for the headphone's, charger and data, the Nexus at least has a normal headphone jack.

The Android phones are too restrictive in the amount of space available for applications.

Edited by hill60606

I guess you're just succumbing to all the hype

Posted Image

You can see "Google" quite clearly on the back, i've had one to play around with for quite a few months now, all the free applications are ad supported, some of the applications are just a shameless promotion for a paid version.

The multimedia handling isn't terribly good either.

The Android phones are too restrictive in the amount of space available for applications.

Yeah, but every phone with Windows Mobile also says "Windows Mobile" somewhere on the casing. Doesn't make it a Microsoft produced phone. Google's name is just there because of the OS, and because it's a familiar brand (i.e. marketing tactic).

You also have to understand that the iPhone OS has been out longer than Android, so they're still working on building up their app catalogue. Anyone can develop for it, so there's no reason why the current PC orientated open source community won't start producing software for the Android. And if I'm not mistaken, a large amount of the free iPhone apps are also ad supported.

You'll also notice that the memory in these phones is expandable via SD card.

Sure. But tell any consumer about FREE apps, CUSTOMISABLE backgrounds and themes, a TRUE WEB EXPERIENCE with Flash, and 1GHz CPU and they get excited. You don't have to mention anything about open source, or having away at the OS. It's all about the marketing. :)

iPhone has free apps.

Customisable backgrounds and themes is certainly a good thing, but I do question whether Joe or Sue Random actually value customisability. A good example would be the migration from Myspace to Facebook. It might've been a bigger draw card pre-smartphones, but now there are just so many features and things to do I don't particularly think users care about being able to set their own background. Well, not enough for it to single handedly create sales.

I don't particularly think Joe or Sue Random care about Flash either, nor a 1GHz CPU.

Don't get me wrong, while I think it has a some design faults, I reckon Android is tops - and would llovvee to see it succeed over the iPhone - but I'm only calling it as I (in my limited view) see it.

Rob.