iamthemaxx

For those doubting Android

Android doesn't support flash.

Pretty sure it does.

And for the people who think Flash ads will be an issue, I'm sure one of the many open source ad-blocker devs will jump in to fix that. If it hasn't already been done.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android doesn't support flash.

Pretty sure it does.

And for the people who think Flash ads will be an issue, I'm sure one of the many open source ad-blocker devs will jump in to fix that. If it hasn't already been done.

Maybe you can get Adobe to give you one of their test units.

The expected release is later this year.

Well I'm running the beta on Windows now, and it's perfectly fine from what I can tell. It shouldn't be long before it's available to the public, including the Android platform.

Sure. But tell any consumer about FREE apps, CUSTOMISABLE backgrounds and themes, a TRUE WEB EXPERIENCE with Flash, and 1GHz CPU and they get excited. You don't have to mention anything about open source, or having away at the OS. It's all about the marketing. :)

iPhone has free apps.

Customisable backgrounds and themes is certainly a good thing, but I do question whether Joe or Sue Random actually value customisability. A good example would be the migration from Myspace to Facebook. It might've been a bigger draw card pre-smartphones, but now there are just so many features and things to do I don't particularly think users care about being able to set their own background. Well, not enough for it to single handedly create sales.

I don't particularly think Joe or Sue Random care about Flash either, nor a 1GHz CPU.

Don't get me wrong, while I think it has a some design faults, I reckon Android is tops - and would llovvee to see it succeed over the iPhone - but I'm only calling it as I (in my limited view) see it.

Rob.

Joe and Sue Random care about being able to customise their phone, but it's not the background they want to make their own. It's the cover, case, extra accessories that makes it easy to identify their phone from the similar looking one next to it.

I mean I'm very happy with my HTC Touch HD, but I can't get a cover or anything for it. I bought it from work, and the only accessory we stock is a charging dock for it!

The iPhone on the other hand - there's a huge range of phone covers, phone cases, screen protectors, cables etc.

If the android-based phones can prove to the average user that the interface is just as easy to use and that it has the support in both apps and accessories, I can't see why it won't be an iPhone killer. But it needs all of these things to come together at the same time.

Sure. But tell any consumer about FREE apps, CUSTOMISABLE backgrounds and themes, a TRUE WEB EXPERIENCE with Flash, and 1GHz CPU and they get excited. You don't have to mention anything about open source, or having away at the OS. It's all about the marketing. :)

iPhone has free apps.

Customisable backgrounds and themes is certainly a good thing, but I do question whether Joe or Sue Random actually value customisability. A good example would be the migration from Myspace to Facebook. It might've been a bigger draw card pre-smartphones, but now there are just so many features and things to do I don't particularly think users care about being able to set their own background. Well, not enough for it to single handedly create sales.

I don't particularly think Joe or Sue Random care about Flash either, nor a 1GHz CPU.

Don't get me wrong, while I think it has a some design faults, I reckon Android is tops - and would llovvee to see it succeed over the iPhone - but I'm only calling it as I (in my limited view) see it.

Rob.

Joe and Sue Random care about being able to customise their phone, but it's not the background they want to make their own. It's the cover, case, extra accessories that makes it easy to identify their phone from the similar looking one next to it.

I mean I'm very happy with my HTC Touch HD, but I can't get a cover or anything for it. I bought it from work, and the only accessory we stock is a charging dock for it!

The iPhone on the other hand - there's a huge range of phone covers, phone cases, screen protectors, cables etc.

If the android-based phones can prove to the average user that the interface is just as easy to use and that it has the support in both apps and accessories, I can't see why it won't be an iPhone killer. But it needs all of these things to come together at the same time.

The iPhone also has the 30 pin dock connector and those things are everywhere from cars to alarm clocks in supermarkets.

None of those micro USB's with the corner cut off, I wonder what the Motorola, SonyEricsson, LG, Samsung and other Android phones will use.

The only major manufacturers without Android are Nokia and RIM.

That's the thing, I don't think that the average consumer would actually care.

I can't help but think that the mobile phone market is primarily about image, even before the iPhone hit the scene.

Rob.

Right on the mark man. People dont give a shit about specs its how people will think of them when they pull the phone out in the line at the supermarket or playing a game on the train. You say "It has a 1ghz CPU" and their like 'WUT" I know I will get shot down for it & I know its a great phone but the vast majority of users will only buy something to keep up with their friends or neighbours the iphone is a perfect example of this. My brother bought one simply becuase everyone else had one and the fact that it was apple and apple is cool right now.

I can't help but think that the mobile phone market is primarily about image, even before the iPhone hit the scene.

Rob.

Right on the mark man. People dont give a shit about specs its how people will think of them when they pull the phone out in the line at the supermarket or playing a game on the train. You say "It has a 1ghz CPU" and their like 'WUT" I know I will get shot down for it & I know its a great phone but the vast majority of users will only buy something to keep up with their friends or neighbours the iphone is a perfect example of this. My brother bought one simply becuase everyone else had one and the fact that it was apple and apple is cool right now.

Or maybe it was Apple's simple and effective ad campains showing not much more than hands and an iphone doing stuff, a refreshing break from phone ads full of arty and pinch shit.

Then there's the influence of seeing what friends can do with them which has a far greater influence than any thought of 'looking cool' or dumb shit like that.

Btw I'm posting this from a Magic it doesn't have Exchange support for the following reason:-

! Check the official statement of Eric Lin(HTC)"The Magic being sold in most of Asia is not a Google experience phone so we have started to put some of the HTC special sauce into Android. That Magic has started to put some of the HTC special sauce into Android. That Magic has Exchange support, a much more responsive and full featured camera application, a custom dialer application with smart dial and additional widgets as well." custom dialer application with smart dial and additional widgets as well."

Edited by hill60606

Rob.

Or maybe it was Apple's simple and effective ad campains showing not much more than hands and an iphone doing stuff, a refreshing break from phone ads full of arty and pinch shit.

actually, no. It is just about universally accepted that apple marketing relies heavily on the consumers social need to fit in and less about the product itself. The fanboys such as yourself will still cream their pants over every announcement about the hardware, but the general public will just require the briefest of brief rundowns on what the product does in a general sense, and then shown either a) a picture of the unit or b) pictures of numerous attractive individuals all looking like they are enjoying the unit.

Rob.

actually, no. It is just about universally accepted that apple marketing relies heavily on the consumers social need to fit in and less about the product itself. The fanboys such as yourself will still cream their pants over every announcement about the hardware, but the general public will just require the briefest of brief rundowns on what the product does in a general sense, and then shown either a) a picture of the unit or b) pictures of numerous attractive individuals all looking like they are enjoying the unit.

Of course thats what apple are all about. Although no-one can possibly say that they don't back it up with some awesome bits of kit.

I think the 1GHz CPU may get some people's attention if you compare it to what the iPhone has. Same with computers where if it has 4GB of Ram it's awesome etc

Well yeah, my argument is that the semi-informed market will notice the 1GHz vs the 600MHz CPU. There's many people who think they're hot shit, and want 'the best'. They're the same people who buy 2GB video cards which are lucky to benefit from 512MB. More sounds better.

Well yeah, my argument is that the semi-informed market will notice the 1GHz vs the 600MHz CPU. There's many people who think they're hot shit, and want 'the best'. They're the same people who buy 2GB video cards which are lucky to benefit from 512MB. More sounds better.

I don't think that Joe and Sue Random even realise their phones have CPUs in them.

Rob.

I don't think that Joe and Sue Random even realise their phones have CPUs in them.

Of course. Which is why I was referring to the semi-informed market. The aim is to appeal to as many markets as possible.

Anotherwards for the people who realise what a CPU is but think that a higher number number is always better (and in this case they're right in that regards)

Rob.

So tell me this, the onlly thing I can ever recall seeing in iPhone ads are a phone screen and maybe one or two fingers, maybe you are referring to people whose idea of "fitting in" requires the grooming of one's fingernails.

Why don't you prove me wrong by showing an iPhone ad with these people we are supposed to be fitting in with.

You have done nothing but reveal preconcieved ideas of how you think things are which have no basis in reality, so how's the view from the too cool for Apple bandwagon?

In six months or so expect Apple to overtake hardware wise, then in ten or twelve months overs will catch up and overtake them again, this is a simple fact of technological advancement, if today's tech wasn't more advanced than six month old tech, then there's something wrong.

The thing is, there are plenty of free apps on the iPhone app store, as well as the ones that you pay for? It's not like everything sold for the Android platform is free.

The thing is, there are plenty of free apps on the iPhone app store, as well as the ones that you pay for? It's not like everything sold for the Android platform is free.

I could be completely wrong, but doesn't the Android platform allow the installation of software without going through their offical app store service? That'd be quite useful for those who use a lot of frequently updated open source applications. You can skip the middle man altogether, or make your own software.

I wouldn't mind dabbling in programming for a mobile OS myself.

Ah, relative percentages. Is there nothing you can't prove?

"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that."

Ah, relative percentages. Is there nothing you can't prove?

"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that."

82% of statistics are made up.

Loving my nexus one and cant wait to see what android phones come out in the near future. They have already come a long way in a very short time. (in my opinion)

that and android allows for user made content on apps etc so makes things alot more fun for ppl that wanna fiddle

I'm a phone nerd.

I'm running a Toshiba TG01, a phone I imported myself from Europe, cooked my own ROM with debranded software, and have an excellent experience due to the brilliant Qualcomm Snapdragon chip, even though I underclocked it for battery life.

Guess what: Your average user doesn't give a shit. Normal people don't buy phones because of what tech is behind them, even if you explain it to them. I know, because I keep explaining it to my friends why I chose my phone. They respect my decision, and I respect theirs (they all mostly chose iPhones). They just want a very very simple phone, to make calls send texts, play games and look good doing it: the iPhone does that for them.

They do not care, and never WILL care about the fact that Apples restrictions are painful. They'll continue to purchase things via the App Store regardless of what neat app has been rejected. This is fact.

They don't care that Android is open source. Hell, they don't care the Android is fragmented (even though I do). Only us techies do.

Androids MAJOR issue for adoption is the fact that (just like Linux) because its "open", we associate open with "free". Without a decent revenue stream, I cannot see major developers putting time and effort into making EXCELLENT (not just "good", which Android already has) software, like they do for the iPhone.

Google need to take control and do it themselves if they wish to actually make a dent in the iPhones target market: your dumb-arse "normal" mates ;)

To be honest I think more people care about how many GB storage their phone has for music than how many GHz it has. If a phone like the iphone is snappy and quick to do what it needs to do, joe bloggs doesn't give two hoots if it's "technically slower" than an android phone.

Any android phones with 16gb or 32gb of onboard flash memory yet? How about the 64GB or 80GB (rumoured) which should be on the iPhone this year?

Someone like me knows that accessing SD cards is slow and removes the snappiness desired in these devices, the average consumer? They see a 4gb phone, they wouldn't even think about being able to upgrade an SD card, how many average users do you think have ever upgraded a memory card in anything besides buying a digital camera and being upsold in the store.