iamthemaxx

For those doubting Android

Honestly, my 32GB iPhone 3GS does more for me than just music and calls.

I can remote in to work, reboot servers and manage a user base of about 300+ users with a few paid apps and some know-how.

Android, as an OS looks OK, but from my experience, with my missus' HTC Dream, it was a shit OS which had a massively hard time utilising the hardware it had.

Yea, the CPU in the Nexus is faster than the iPhone, but it isn't the hardware, it is how the programming utilises it.

I know one of my mates had a professor who with some clever programming, could get faster prime results from a 28 year old "notebook" than with an 8 core server.

If the Nexus has all this power, they will need to fix alot of the OS to be able to use it efficiently, Google can eat my dick right now, their OS couldn't even handle receiving an SMS without crashing, and before you tell me it was a customisation or specific app, this was an out of the box phone, with a SIM card just installed.

To be honest I think more people care about how many GB storage their phone has for music than how many GHz it has. If a phone like the iphone is snappy and quick to do what it needs to do, joe bloggs doesn't give two hoots if it's "technically slower" than an android phone.

Exactly. The problem with trying to reach out to the average consumer with Android phones is information availability.

To make a somewhat informed decision with an iPhone, you just need to go the one site about the one product, and you probably have friends with an iPhone already.

To do likewise with Android phones, you need to find out what Android is in relation to a phone, look up phones with the Android OS, have to compare them somehow etc.

Honestly, my 32GB iPhone 3GS does more for me than just music and calls.

I can remote in to work, reboot servers and manage a user base of about 300+ users with a few paid apps and some know-how.

Android, as an OS looks OK, but from my experience, with my missus' HTC Dream, it was a shit OS which had a massively hard time utilising the hardware it had.

Yea, the CPU in the Nexus is faster than the iPhone, but it isn't the hardware, it is how the programming utilises it.

I know one of my mates had a professor who with some clever programming, could get faster prime results from a 28 year old "notebook" than with an 8 core server.

If the Nexus has all this power, they will need to fix alot of the OS to be able to use it efficiently, Google can eat my dick right now, their OS couldn't even handle receiving an SMS without crashing, and before you tell me it was a customisation or specific app, this was an out of the box phone, with a SIM card just installed.

Sounds like a shitty experience - a complete contrast to my experience. I encourage you to reevaluate Android OS. The latest version is 2.1 (Dream runs 1.5).

Apparently the next couple of versions of Android will attempt to tackle the problems with version fragmentation - http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/exclusi...-stemming-plat/

I am actually looking at installing a 2.1 ROM onto the Dream to have a go...

I don't really think I am going to buy an $800 phone to trial how the new android works, seems a bit of a waste.

Check out Cyanogen 5.XX, it's based on Android 2.1. I've installed it on my Magic. It's significantly faster.

"Smartphones based on Google's Android mobile operating system outsold Aple's iPhone in the US during the first quarter of 2010"

http://mobile.venturebeat.com/2010/05/10/g...rtphone-market/

Rob.

Yeah, android is doing better

I played with a HTC of some sort running Android 2.1 today with SenseUI it was quite nice. a lot better than an android 1.x device I once played with.

I wish i had more time to play with one.

"Smartphones based on Google's Android mobile operating system outsold Aple's iPhone in the US during the first quarter of 2010"

http://mobile.venturebeat.com/2010/05/10/g...rtphone-market/

Rob.

Yeah, android is doing better

I played with a HTC of some sort running Android 2.1 today with SenseUI it was quite nice. a lot better than an android 1.x device I once played with.

I wish i had more time to play with one.

HTC Desire, really really good phone. You should sit down and have a lengthy play.

Y'know, I don't really like SenseUI personally, even on WinMo. Call me weird :P

I need to hijack my mates Hero and get 2.1 on it... Currently with 1.5, I don't really enjoy Android (but it's on sub-par hardware to be fair).

HTC Desire, really really good phone. You should sit down and have a lengthy play.

I would if I could

They're chained to the table and the the annoying JB staff wouldn't fuck off.

I would if I could

They're chained to the table and the the annoying JB staff wouldn't fuck off.

Bastards....always ruining someone else's fun......

Does the Expose' like interface I saw only apply to SenseUI or is it in the stock Android builds? I really liked that and hope it's something Apple do with 4.0 or later.

I've got an x86 build in VMWare but there's no graphics acceleration so it's a bit sluggish.

a few things seem less intuitive for me like email. no navbar at the top to get back to my inbox view so I have to use a hardware button.

What would you Android peeps recommend for an MSN/Live Messenger client?

I use fring. Apart from the child like interface. Its Ok.

I gave Fring a quick try, it seems pretty good. My only beef with it is your status can only online or offline; no away, busy etc.

Apparently Nexus One owners are to receive Android 2.2 (Froyo) today/very soon.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/05/what-is-froyo/

I'm pretty pumped about the massive performance increases. I really hope it's not long before it gets a Cynagenmod release.