Sign in to follow this  
theblackwhale

Another plea for assistance with first build

Hey guys.

Currently the main desktop in use in the house is an ageing Athlon 64 3400 based machine. It's done well lasting till now but is starting to show its age. So I am thinking of replacing it as outlined below. My father is the main user and does a lot of graphic design and pre-press stuff with CorelDraw etc on it. As gaming isn't really in the equation I anticipate that this build will last him another 3 to 4 years. Budget is below $800 comfortably but below $700 if possible.

CPU: i5-750

Rationale here was that I wanted a quad core CPU at the minimum. The i5 caught my eye as it is only 20 odd dollars above the Q9400. If there is a better choice such as an AMD processor that is of the same price point, I am open to suggestions.

Mobo

Am having real trouble here. I have no clue and there are too many numbers and letters lol. However, a DDR3 motherboard would be good. Thinking of 4GB G-skill or Kingston RAM. They seem to be about the same price.

Case:

Again, something basic preferably with an adequate power supply included in the price would be helpful. Budget for case is currently at $150. I was thinking of something like a generic case with a 400-500W PSU chosen from the power supply thread

GFX:

As gaming isn't really a function, I allocated a strict $100 max with the lower the better. At the moment the 512MB Inno3D 9500GT is looking attractive at $55.

HDD

Currently decided on a Seagate 500GB SATA drive for $59. Also, what's the deal with the WD 808GB SATA drive? Is it a good purchase?

So that's where my deliberations have come to an end and any comments would be much appreciated.

Yep the i5 is a great choice.

Grab this motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 P55 4DDR3 4VRM PCIEx16 GLAN DES2 8SATA 2X1394a mATX Internet Price: $133.50

This case Antec Three Hundred Tower Gaming Case- Black NO PSU Internet Price: $84.00 And PSU Antec ATX EarthWatts 430W Internet Price: $77.00

Video card PowerColor 4670 512M D3 2DH Internet Price: $79.00

And HDD Samsung 500G SATA II 7200rpm HD502HJ Internet Price: $67.00

And as for memory either the kingston or the G-Skill will fit the bill, in fact just get whatever is cheapest it's all good with a system like yours. :)

With your choice of HDD make sure it is not one the the green drives as they are slower.

Edited by bowiee

For video work, the i7-860 is well worth the extra $100. Same goes for running VMWare, especially multiple instances. However there's not a big enough difference in any other type of application.

I'd just go with the NSK6580 w/ 430W PSU for the case/PSU, but you can grab a combo if you like.

If you want a nice, fast drive then the Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB drive is good value.

Thank you for the replies. Taking what you've said and also looking at my budget and the parts guide thread I think I will go with the following.

i5-750 $221 MSY

GA-P55-UD3 $128 MSY

4 GB PNY $109 MSY

Inno3D 9500GT 512M $55 MSY

Antec 300 $80 CPL

Antec 430W $77 Umart

Seagate 500G $59 MSY

Pioneer 218 $37 Umart

Total $766

The only thing is Umart is offering almost the same system (http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=7) for about a $160 more. It may be a silly question but is the RTB warranty that comes with the system is better than the warranty that comes with the parts?

Umart doesn't seem to have a "if your system doesn't work, we'll troubleshoot it and fix it for you" policy so I'd say the extra $160 is wasted

It may be a silly question but is the RTB warranty that comes with the system is better than the warranty that comes with the parts?

RTB = Return to base.

Most computer parts have a 1 year manufacture warranty. Some of the bigger brands may offer a 2 or 3 year warranty. A lot of RAM comes with lifetime warranty and quality PSU's usually have at least 2 to 3 year manufacture warranty with one (Corsair) offering up to a 7 year warranty.

Just so you know, that 500GB drive will load Windows and programs at about two thirds to three quarters the speed of the 1TB Samsung F1.

Yeah, good system for Win 7. No shortage of RAM and you've got a nice fast HDD, Windows 7 will be happy.

Awesome. Are there any good assembly guides for first timers? Additionally, any cable management guides as that's the bit I am really dreading. I've heard of routing cables behind the mother board tray but the power supply goes at the bottom in the 300 so I don't know if it's possible.

Awesome. Are there any good assembly guides for first timers? Additionally, any cable management guides as that's the bit I am really dreading. I've heard of routing cables behind the mother board tray but the power supply goes at the bottom in the 300 so I don't know if it's possible.

I built my first computer about a year ago now and it was heaps of fun. I didn't find any good guides but I read a few. Also, the motherboard manual has loads of info. Take it slow, and when you start getting frustrated, STOP. Take a break, stop thinking about it and then go back to it later. I had this random cable I couldn't figure out where it went and I was frustrated and then I finally asked on a forum and it turned out I didn't need it

It lives!!! Just booted up and the computer POSTed fine. Idle CPU temp as reported in the bios is holding at 38 degrees, so I think all is fine. Thanks for all the help guys. My final question is are there any other diagnostics I should run after Windows gets installed?