So I have my new PC setup. After much chopping and changing this is what I have

AMD Phenom II 550BE with stock cooler

Lancool PC-K56 Case

Seasonic M12 II 500 Powersupply

Gigabyte GA-785GT-UD3H Mobo

Galaxy Zalman version 8800GT

4GB 1333mhz DDR3 Ram Kingston

Windows 7 Ultimate

Its been a while since I had a new PC to play with. I used vista but not alot and its my first time using Windows 7.

I installed the basic stuff like;

Full codec pack

Nero

Adobe reader/flash

Firefox

Eset NOD32 Antivirus

Steam

Now what else can I do to make the PC shine? I've been out of the loop for a while. Ideally I would like some desktop widgets or something that will show my PC stats, check my gmail account, etc but I'm not sure what windows 7 is capable of. I remember using windows blinds or something similar before but remember it being a big resource hog.

What do you want to do with your PC????

Don't get carried away with pointless applications - if you clog up the system with stupid applications to make it look 'fancy' then it won't be long before your system is running like a snail.

When you say 'shine' you mean make it look fancy or boost performance???? If you want to boost performance you can trim some of the services that Windows is running that you won't use, or you could always go along the lines of overclocking (but maybe invest in a decent cooler....ummm... an Intel chip ;) ).

Sorry, can't really suggest much to dress up your desktop (as you can guess I'm not really into that), but you can always change the taskbar/window colours and put on a rotating wallpaper that floats your boat.

Other directions you could go is maybe some coloured LED fans???? or some case modding?????

I mean getting the best performance out of my PC. I will venture into OCing and stuff like that further down the track but right now I am looking at the software side of things. I would like some motherboard monitoring software, etc. Also looking for any suggested windows tweaks that may help that sorta thing.

I installed the basic stuff like;

Full codec pack

Bad boy, codec packs are shite and should be avoided, just install individual codecs when they are needed or use VLC, The KM Player or Gom Player as these include the basic range of codecs needed for most video/audio playback.

Nero

Adobe reader/flash

Nero I don't use any more except for some Video DVD creating. Use ImgBurn for Data DVDs and give DVDFlick or Devede a try for video DVD.

Replace Adobe Reader with Foxit. Smaller and faster and free.

I'm happy with Nero as I use nerovision quite a bit as its simple and my family can use it as well.

I've never had a problem with codec packs, the one I installed isn't a public release pack so I'm happy.

I will look into Foxit though.

All of the gadgets are downloadable from the gadget option and very easy to use.

It really depends on what you atucally want to do, Firefox has a boatload of add-on that you could use, look for the highest rated ones to use.

As for showing you pc performance, samuraize is an excellent program and if you have network shares it can display them as well.

Are you using it for media sharinhg, you could install media share software XMBC or the like.play around with you windows settings (Start menu, right click computer, properties)