Sign in to follow this  
Vipp

What to do with this RAM issue...

When I put this computer together I somehow overlooked the timings for the RAM in the initial setup. It's a gigabyte EX58-UD5 with an i7 965ee and 6gb OCZ platinum 1600 7-7-7-20. When I finally noticed the timings had defaulted to something ridiculously high and set it right I thought all was sweet, it passed memtest no problem however it fails prime95 testing about a hour in. If I set it to 1600 8-8-8-20 or 1550 7-7-7-20 it will happily prime for 8 hours on each, but it's supposed default speeds of 1600 7-7-7-20 will, as I said, fail after about a hour of prime blend testing, despite passing memtest okay.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do I just accept either of the two combinations of speed/timings and leave it at that knowing that I'll most definitely never notice a RL difference?

or

2. Is it stable enough at 1600 7-7-7-20 if it never shows errors in windows or games (but errors 1 hour into prime)? OR will this damage my hardware over time?

Thanks for any advice!

(also, I know the CPU is overkill, but my Dad bought it for himself and was barely getting used so I convinced him it had a happier home in my box ^^)

EDIT: More info. I have the cpu at 1.25v and the RAM at 1.68 (as to not have more than a .5v difference). I'm too scared to take it higher.

Edited by Vipp

When I put this computer together I somehow overlooked the timings for the RAM in the initial setup. It's a gigabyte EX58-UD5 with an i7 965ee and 6gb OCZ platinum 1600 7-7-7-20. When I finally noticed the timings had defaulted to something ridiculously high and set it right I thought all was sweet, it passed memtest no problem however it fails prime95 testing about a hour in. If I set it to 1600 8-8-8-20 or 1550 7-7-7-20 it will happily prime for 8 hours on each, but it's supposed default speeds of 1600 7-7-7-20 will, as I said, fail after about a hour of prime blend testing, despite passing memtest okay.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do I just accept either of the two combinations of speed/timings and leave it at that knowing that I'll most definitely never notice a RL difference?

or

2. Is it stable enough at 1600 7-7-7-20 if it never shows errors in windows or games (but errors 1 hour into prime)? OR will this damage my hardware over time?

Thanks for any advice!

(also, I know the CPU is overkill, but my Dad bought it for himself and was barely getting used so I convinced him it had a happier home in my box ^^)

EDIT: More info. I have the cpu at 1.25v and the RAM at 1.68 (as to not have more than a .5v difference). I'm too scared to take it higher.

lol, cool dad.

I'd probably just leave it at 1550 7-7-7-20, it sucks that it's not stable at it's stated timings, but you'll never notice the 50 MHz difference.

I guess what you are really asking is whether it's safe to leave it on 1600-7-7-7-20 to which I would respond so long as the voltages and temps are within spec there's no way you'll end up damaging it :)

Yeah I left it on 1550 7-7-7-20 for now, but as you guessed, I'm sort of wondering if I'll be doing any damage by leaving it on 1600 7-7-7-20 since it appears stable enough in all things other than 1 hour into prime...

Would rather not risk damaging anything!