Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Neo-SiN

An alternative to the iPhone

I'd wait for WMO 7 Electr0 It looks like it will be worth it hardware and software wise.

You'll probably be able to put Win Phone 7 on the HD2 when it comes out. Otherwise you'll be waiting a while.

If I were to get a phone now, it'd be the Nexus One or the HTC Desire.

I'd wait for WMO 7 Electr0 It looks like it will be worth it hardware and software wise.

When does that come out?

You'll probably be able to put Win Phone 7 on the HD2 when it comes out.

THIS :'(

I'll have a look at those phones you mentioned.

Edited by Electr0

THIS :'(

I'll have a look at those phones you mentioned.

Yeah, I saw that. Somehow I don't think that's their final stance though. Besides, the Nexus One is also a really nice phone. HTC design their devices with both style and functionality in mind, so you know you're getting something robust.

I think you'll be able to put WINMO 7 on the HD2 it meets most of the hardware requirements someone will create a ROM for it.

What a load of shit. Next Apple will patent and sue for the display of pixels on a pixel based screen, and breathing oxygen whilst handling a mobile device.

What a load of shit. Next Apple will patent and sue for the display of pixels on a pixel based screen, and breathing oxygen whilst handling a mobile device.

BUT YOU FORGET THEY INVENTED MULTI TOUCH DUM DUM DUM.

Wow, Apple just got that much more lamer.

Looks like they'll be after Nokia soon, with a few of those.

Anyone know where i can get a Google Nexus One for a reasonable/cheap price?

Looking to upgrade my Sony Ericsson Xperia X1.

Seriously, read this; http://phandroid.com/2010/03/05/nexus-one-...in-your-pocket/ before getting a nexus.

Some serious bullshit from HTC in regards to a pocket device apparently not supposed to go in your pocket.

Yeah, that's a load of crap. It was a support person who said that, and he/she was talking shit. Of course, that doesn't stop people from creating sensationalist articles about it. Also, if you're putting enough stress on the phone to damage the screen like that, then you're doing it wrong. The Nexus One is a lot stronger people think, and definitely more durable than an iPhone.

Seriously, read this; http://phandroid.com/2010/03/05/nexus-one-...in-your-pocket/ before getting a nexus.

Some serious bullshit from HTC in regards to a pocket device apparently not supposed to go in your pocket.

Yeah, that's a load of crap. It was a support person who said that, and he/she was talking shit. Of course, that doesn't stop people from creating sensationalist articles about it. Also, if you're putting enough stress on the phone to damage the screen like that, then you're doing it wrong. The Nexus One is a lot stronger people think, and definitely more durable than an iPhone.

Yea, I know what you mean, but the amount of hype and shit started form one idiot saying the wrong thing... amazing.

I wouldn't mind playing with the nexus, but seriously, I love my iPhone too much to pass it over for anything in the near future.

I've had the Nexus One for over a month now.. I've owned lots of HTC, Nokia & Sony handsets in the past, but this phone just out shines the lot. Just think of a device that claims to do almost everything and goes beyond that. IMO it's well worth importing & wont cost you anymore than $700, cheaper than the iPhone.. :)

Edited by Goonit

I've had the Nexus One for over a month now.. I've owned lots of HTC, Nokia & Sony handsets in the past, but this phone just out shines the lot. Just think of a device that claims to do almost everything and goes beyond that. IMO it's well worth importing & wont cost you anymore than $700, cheaper than the iPhone.. :)

Only thing is that mine is coming on Monday....grr....Friday Express Post.

And...I'm not paying much more than $700.00

If I could sell my iPhone for enough to buy a NexusOne outright, I would get one. They are such a groovy product, I would miss gaming on the go but a product that I can use out of the box to the fullness of it's potential more than makes up for it.

HTC HD or HTC HD 2, both the HTC Touch phones have a qwerty keyboard, which just add weight and make the phone less friendly to use.

Google Nexus 1 is a very nice alternative is you dont like Windows mobile or the iPhone OS.

To the OP...

Just curious, why won't you just buy a phone outright?

well I could go out and spend $1000 and buy a new phone outright and I could also flush $800 down the toilet. However given that the cost of an iPhone three GS 32 GB model of the 24 month period is roughly $240 (that's ignoring various economic factors such as future value of money etc which could bring the relative price to under $200), it is unequivocally significantly cheaper for me to obtain new phone through a contract that I am already on and have been on for almost 4 years. I am completely satisfied my current contract and have seen no contracts that are competitive. So as a student nearing graduation with the current income of approximately $10,000 per annum and an expected future income of approximately $80,000 per annum, spending $10 a month per month for an iPhone is a much better idea than $1000 upfront payment no matter how I look at it.

Any case I did purchase the iPhone which I am generally very happy with; barring a few exceptions:

* terrible battery life-I have to recharge it every day and sometimes it doesn't last throughout the whole day

* the general lockdown nature of any Apple product and its insistence on using iTunes do almost anything

now if only I can get decent voice recording to work certain I could use it as a digital recorder and have Dragon NaturallySpeaking transcribe my voice to text.

I apologise for my bad grammar however Dragon NaturallySpeaking can be a pain to work with is far as auto capitalisation goes.

I thought I would link you to a few phones which are ebay price similar.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-HTC-Google-Nexu...=item45f2cce44a (Supposedly a great phone from reviews)

HTC Desire is quite good too (look out for the HTC Incredible on ebay soon.. won't be coming to Aus for a while I'll bet)

HTC HD2

Xperia X10

Motorola Droid aka Motorola Milestone (great phone, I've had a play around with this in December.. hugely recommended).

The HTC Incredible is a Verizon exclusive in the USA, and they run their network on CDMA, not GSM, so even if you imported it, it would not work on any Australian network.

If HTC releases an international GSM version, then yeah, get that.

Have to say though, I now have a HTC Desire on a $65/month business Mobile Plus plan with Telstra, and bought an extra 1GB of data (total 1.3GB) for $19/month. The Desire is a *fucking amazing* phone. Even my Dad, an avid Blackberry fan, has finally conceded that the Desire is a superior device. It is truly spectacular.

The HTC Incredible is a Verizon exclusive in the USA, and they run their network on CDMA, not GSM, so even if you imported it, it would not work on any Australian network.

If HTC releases an international GSM version, then yeah, get that.

Have to say though, I now have a HTC Desire on a $65/month business Mobile Plus plan with Telstra, and bought an extra 1GB of data (total 1.3GB) for $19/month. The Desire is a *fucking amazing* phone. Even my Dad, an avid Blackberry fan, has finally conceded that the Desire is a superior device. It is truly spectacular.

Yea I know, I'm hoping for a GSM version :)