robzy

Televisions, which to choose?

So my old man is wanting to get a TV for the new place.

After looking around he has decided on a Sony Bravia Z-Series 52" (KDL52Z5500), and has asked me to do some research on it to see if I come to the same conclusion.

Before I head out to actually check out some TVs, though, I'm wanting to get some opinions on what I should be looking at?

From the small amount of TVs I've looked at, I'm pretty sure I don't like plasmas... leaving LCD or LED. What's the deal with these two? How does one pick and choose?

And when looking at sizes around 52" which brands are generally the ones to be looked at?

Thanks,

Rob.

In terms of picture quality: Plasma > LED > LCD

In terms of power consumption: LED > LCD > Plasma

In terms of bang for buck: LCD > LED > Plasma

LED is still premature, and the latest LED's out there have awesome picture clarity (some would say on par with plasma) but come with a high price tag. So you're better off settling down for an LCD and wait until the new technology matures more.

Pretty sure it was an Atomic article pointing out that before long there will be an arrival of OLED technology too, so another good reason to let LED wait.

I'm no expert, it's just an opinion from what I've read and seen.

TBH I would only let myself purchase either Samsung or Sony LCD - as they provide some of the best display technologies so far. When it comes to LED, that *may* be a different ball park.

Edited by slickgrunt

There's not much to 'mature' with LED, it's just a different method of providing backlight. And OLED isn't going to be around for a while, unless you have very very deep pockets.

If you have the budget, LED all the way. The main brands to look for are Samsung, Sony and Panasonic I'd say.

This is what I've heard and is partially a question. LCD's are better for a budget TV as well as power consumption wise???????????

There's not much to 'mature' with LED, it's just a different method of providing backlight. And OLED isn't going to be around for a while, unless you have very very deep pockets.

If you have the budget, LED all the way. The main brands to look for are Samsung, Sony and Panasonic I'd say.

I agree, and would go for the LED too as it provides better clarity - the top of the range ones. I still don't think they've hit their limits yet though in terms of LED per pixel. if they have then I take my hat off

This is what I've heard and is partially a question. LCD's are better for a budget TV as well as power consumption wise???????????

depends on the type of LED. There are 2 or 3 types, and one of them does use more power than LCD. Something one would have to look in to before purchasing.

You have a Morrie..............get a black and white one!

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/blog/wp-...08/05/oldtv.jpg

LOL! no competition there ey? :P

But LED kicks its butt in efficiency because it uses way less power. Slickgrunt has the right idea...

Plasmas do produce what is called a 'True Black' which is basically when a black colour is meant to be imposed, it will be that natural black you are looking for. LCDs have a really dark charcoal black type colour which is noticeable a bit if you really are a picture freak. LEDs are really thin and they chew not as much power as any of them do. I would go with LED.

Also plasmas are best suited in dark rooms because when light goes on it, it glares... That is not the case with LCDs and LEDs. Brands like Panasonic do have some substance that they put on their Plasma TVs that make that glare go away.

Then again, when my mum went in to buy a Samsung LED TV for her room, we compared models at the shop and saw that LG put like a glassy finish, but you see your reflection as well which is not the way to go. <_<

I recomended the Samsung 32" from the 6000 series to a friend and he hasn't stopped raving about how nice it is.

Yeah...that's all I got :P

Samsung LEDS are definetely the way to go at the moment if you can afford it.

Everything about power consumption andpicture above is true, but bear in mind that unless you are sinking a decent wack of money Plasmas still often get screen burn, wherein an image that remains constant for a period of time will be burnt into the screen atleast semi-permanently hence they are generally not advised for gaming.

The missus' dad bought a Panasonic Plasma last year, let the kids play Lego Starwars of all things on it and its got the health bar etc burnt into the screen permanently : D

My Panasonic Plasma doesn't have have burn in. It does have anti-burn in technoglogy to avoid it .

I just bought a LG 42" LCD TV for 1100 with a 5 year warranty which I'm pretty happy with. Movies look great so does the gridiron. Even look the PC out there and played Crysis warhead and COD MW2 on it. Was funny to see my little brothers face when he said "Xbox360 is so shit now"

but bear in mind that unless you are sinking a decent wack of money Plasmas still often get screen burn, wherein an image that remains constant for a period of time will be burnt into the screen atleast semi-permanently hence they are generally not advised for gaming.

The missus' dad bought a Panasonic Plasma last year, let the kids play Lego Starwars of all things on it and its got the health bar etc burnt into the screen permanently : D

Wow, that shouldn't be happening... That was the problem with first gen plasmas... I mean a couple years back.

Hrm, it's sounding like a case of pretty much, "Just go out and pick one." Especially considering I'm just not fond of Plasmas, leaving only LCD and LED.

Just be aware the LED tvs are not LED tvs. They are LED backlight TVs with a normal LCD display.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD_television

Yup, I'm aware of that, thanks nonetheless :)

Yes, and they will be considerably cheaper in 12 months time.

Which is the other issue... Sony are currently giving away a Bluray player with their TVs, but is it worth waiting and getting the next gen stuff? We don't actually need it till March/Aprilish.

Rob.

i agree. its more like LED vs cold cathode light tubes. LED provides you with much better contrast and efficiency.

i got a samsung 32" series L5 or something LCD. very happy with it. only downside to this is the blackened areas look a bit more charcoal than jet black. this is where the alternative LED lighting really shines, on top of better contrast.

Well I know you are not looking to save money, and I agree LED is great if you have the money, but I thought I would just mention that I have a Kogan 42" 1080p lcd (LG panel) which I brought a bit over a year ago and I cannot fault it. In fact I think in terms of picture quality it is up there with the best.

And ATM they are on special 42" FULL HD LCD TV WITH HD TUNER AND 1080P PANEL - 1080P42

I'm just not fond of Plasmas, leaving only LCD and LED.

Out of curiosity: why not?

You might want to consider that LED/LCD screens, which are generally brighter, will look a lot better in a well-lit shop. What's the room like that it's going to be in? Is it often bright? Is it able to be darkened for movies?

We went through this about six months ago and ended up with a panasonic 'G' series 50" plasma, beautiful bit of kit and the bastards have dropped to around the 2K range now. We looked at the LCD/LED option and while (as fuzzy said) they look great in a shop environment it's a different kettle of fish when you get them home. Also the consensus around some of the DTV forums was that to get that 'clean' image from an lcd you have to process the shit out of the image and it's noticeable. And watch out for the viewing angle, it's still better on the plasmas. After all that though take your dad to the shops and let him have a GOOD look at both, shop with your eyes and not the spec sheet. ;) Also, is he planning to get a BD player to go with it?

I'm just not fond of Plasmas, leaving only LCD and LED.

Out of curiosity: why not?

You might want to consider that LED/LCD screens, which are generally brighter, will look a lot better in a well-lit shop. What's the room like that it's going to be in? Is it often bright? Is it able to be darkened for movies?

The image of LCDs just seems - for lack of a better word - cleaner. It's not about brightness, as I realise that can be deceptive, but rather about clarity - to my eyes at least.

One of the adjacent walls is made out of glass it's probably best to be counting on their being a lot of light. Even though there are plans to use the room as a pseudo-home-cinema I'm guessing it'll spend a fair bit of it's life in a very well lit room.

He's not planning to get a BD player to go with it, he's already got one :P A rather nice Oppo unit.

I might have to find a shop where they have better set up units on display so I can have a good proper look. (Although, from talking to my old man yesterday, he's already pretty set on the Sony)

Rob.