robzy

Televisions, which to choose?

A couple of guys on DTVforum are selling theirs ATM as they are upgrading to mega-spensive units. AFAIK they are units odded by Merlin with balance of warranty.

NOte: The latest OPPO FW update allows you to stream media through the uni as well, I haven't had much luck with it on mine (I suspect it's a windows 7 issue) but others have NP.

Details here if anyone is interested.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=112

The reason why I went with Plasma was purely on price. They look good in my lounge room (I don't have light behind me). I got a 50" Full HD plasma for 2k, at the time LCD for the same size was 4K.

I play a lot of games on mine and no burn in. I've heard that burn in is 19 hours of one image. LCD is many many more hours before you get burn in.

My mate has a Pioneer 50" FHD Plasma, but that's a whole other ball park. They're the best plasma you can buy but also the most expensive.

Edited by spaced

The image of LCDs just seems - for lack of a better word - cleaner. It's not about brightness, as I realise that can be deceptive, but rather about clarity - to my eyes at least.

That is most likely an artifact of the brightness. Could also be some funky frame creation bullshit feature (which is something you'll want to turn off anyway, imo). Still, nothing wrong with a decent LCD/LED. That's probably (but not definitely) what I'd go for if I had to grab one now (and I'd probably grab one of the Samsungs, although a Sony would also be nice).

Might be worth finding out if any of the TVs your looking at have been shown to have any problems/deficiencies wrt the OPPO unit (and yeah, damn nice choice there).

@ spaced, Pioneer no longer make TVs, sold all their tech to Panasonic...

If looking at a Plasma I'd definitely recommend the Panasonics, particularly their G series.

Looking at LCD (or LED) I'd recommend either the Samsungs or the Sonys (if you can stretch the price).

Note the Sony line is going quite cheap at the moment, as we are expecting new models in about a month, and most other brands early to mid March.

The Samsung LED line is dropping in price very rapidly lately, cost on them has dropped over $1.5k for some models.

For the price of the 52" Z series I'd also have a look at the Samsung LEDs, however their sizing is between 46" to 55". The 8 series is the most comparable in specs, being 200hz, while the 6 series is 100hz and loses the DLNA (internet) features as well.

If you happen to come across any prices as well, I can let you know on what's a reasonable price compared to our cost and what most other retailers are doing.

Not sure what prices are like in other regions but my local Harvey's have the best prices on Sony runout models, and Myer should be the best for most others (where I work).

Those Oppo mods are interesting, but gee they sound expensive, and for our system most certainly wouldn't be worth it. Thanks for linkage, though, I enjoyed reading about it.

Spaced: Burn in is something that scares me a bit, I can just see someone in the family having a brainfart and leaving the same scene on Foxtel paused all day or something like that. Although, I do realise that sets to have brains to try and combat this problem, but the bigger problem is...

Fuzz: The image quality of Plasmas. I definitely would label the Plasma's I've seen as having bad image quality, I just think I prefer the picture that LCD/LEDs provide. I'll certainly be taking a closer look at Plasmas next time I go out, though. Have a more critical eye and figure out whats what.

Frizzl: Thanks a lot for the information, it brings up a question which my old man posed - Should we (/he :P) be waiting for the new models? Undoubtedly the price will be higher, but will there be enough value added to justify the jump? Is there any word on what's to be expected from the new models?

Thanks,

Rob.

Spaced: Burn in is something that scares me a bit, I can just see someone in the family having a brainfart and leaving the same scene on Foxtel paused all day or something like that. Although, I do realise that sets to have brains to try and combat this problem, but the bigger problem is...

Burn-in is not an issue. I use mine hooked up to my MacMini as well as PS3, so there's a lot of static screen image, and I've certainly left it on for very long lengths of time. There will be a residual afterimage that you notice against a black screen, that you don't notice against a screen that's playing anything at all, and even in a worst-case scenario it's gone within 10-30 minutes of watching something. I'm pretty picky about this sort of thing, and I was expecting to have to run a few movies to get rid of afterimages from time to time, but I stopped bothering once I found out that, with anything playing, I simply cannot notice that there's anything there.

Fuzz: The image quality of Plasmas. I definitely would label the Plasma's I've seen as having bad image quality, I just think I prefer the picture that LCD/LEDs provide. I'll certainly be taking a closer look at Plasmas next time I go out, though. Have a more critical eye and figure out whats what.

Oh, look, there's not doubt that LCDs look *better*. They don't, however, as a general rule, look more accurate.

I think if you go with a name brand you should choose on which looks best to your old man. When I was choosing mine I read a LOT on which picture what better than this or that. I think the bottom line is what looks best to you in the environment you will be watching it. If it's going to be in a bright room, try and look for a display model in a bright area, and visa versa. Also have a look at it in low light to see what it looks like at night. Go and have a look with a couple of DVDs or Blu Rays that you know well and compare the picture detail.

Each screen will look different, you just need to choose the one the looks best to the person hand out the folding stuff, assuming you've already looked at the number of connections you need, etc.

I play a lot of games on mine and no burn in. I've heard that burn in is 19 hours of one image. LCD is many many more hours before you get burn in.

admittedly, i dont know how plasmas work. but i cant imagine how you could get ever burn-in on an LCD. some people reckon there is a slight risk of temporary image persistence, but we are talking in circumstances unrealistic enough to call bollocks.

ive always thought plasmas were overpriced and looked shit.

it was only last year that i finally saw plasmas that were the equals of LCD (after not paying much attention for a couple of years). when i say 'shit' i mean...i meant...a lack of crispness. sure, truer colours and contrast -- but, to me, pixel definition is the most important thing.

Yeah, I always thought that if you are going to be sitting close to the screen Plasmas were out, and LCD was the better option in such a situation.

Admittedly I haven't even looked at a Plasma recently.

Just bought me a 46" Series 6 Samsung LCD.

I love it, nice looking TV, good contrast ratios.

But the best bit is the LAN lug in the back. Streams YouTUBE right outta the box. Also streams straight from any PC on my network running a DLNA server (with the supplied software setting one up is a breeze). Two USB 2.0 inputs, 4 HDMI

Got mine for $1450 off eBay (cost $1780 with 5 yr onsite warranty and delivery), JB want $2300 with no delivery and standard warranty.

Granted it is a shipping second, meaning the box got broken and the casing got scratched, though they are checked and guarantee no screen faults on arrival.

Still plenty of them on eBay, and with intelligent bidding the prices are fantastic. Extended warranties are good since they mean you don't have to deal with the sellers after delivery. They have all sizes and models, including the fabtabulous LED models (unfortunately they were a little outside my budget)

My old man picked up the 52" Sony Z-Series yesterday, and we've got it all set up today.

I can't fault it at all. It looks brilliant.

Unfortunately though I don't think the LAN features are quite as developed as the Samsung, BeDLaM.

Rob.

Unfortunately though I don't think the LAN features are quite as developed as the Samsung, BeDLaM.

A TV without a LAN jack, is like a lesbian without a penis, not half as much fun ;P

A TV without a LAN jack, is like a lesbian without a penis, not half as much fun ;P

Lol, it has a LAN jack, except from what I've read it's kinda limited.

Rob.

Lol, it has a LAN jack, except from what I've read it's kinda limited.

Rob.

I just bought a 46" Bravia Z5500, and have also heard the ethernet connection is limited. Manual says it'll stream from a DLNA (or whatever you call it) source though, so I'm off to investigate that right now :) Edited by Takoma

Yeah, my old man got the Z5500 too. Let me know how you go with DLNA, it's also on my to-do list today.

Problem is that there is no wired access in the TV Room, so I've also got to figure out how to set up a laptop to act as a bridge.

Rob.

Took a bit of mucking around, possibly because I don't have an Ethernet cross over cable, but:

1) On a Windows XP Laptop set the wireless and wired network to bridged

2) Connect the TV to a switch, and the laptop to a switch (to make up for the lack of crossover)

Then, follow these instructions to get my computer to show up on the TV - which it does.

However, the MP3s I have don't seem to be showing up. I wonder what I need to do...

[edit]:

Adjusted the settings on PC so that all content is shared, not just those with 2+ stars. Added some new content - and was streaming music and pictures. (Albeit slowly over wireless)

Now to figure out videos, for some reason the DivX's I'm trying to share aren't coming up on the TV.

Rob.

Edited by robzy

I've gotten both WMP11 and TwonkyMedia streaming audio (Twonky handling album art in a more successful manner).

Some research suggests that the Sony can (only) handle AVCHD, but there doesn't seem to be any way to set up on-the-fly encoding, so I'm about to whip open ffmpeg and do some manual conversion.

It also occurred to me that the Oppo has an ethernet port, and while it worked for pictures it failed with both audio and video. Playing MP3 files was 5 seconds of silence, and then a skip to the next one - while DivX files didn't even show up.

Rob.

Yeah I've been banging my head over this issue for a while. The latest OPPO FW was supposed to implement streaming, the BEST results I ever got was managing to get the oppo to see the files but it wouldn't stream them. This was with Windows 7. The whole project was so that I could then put my Netgear EVA8000 on Ebay as it wont work with Windows 7 either (apparantly MS borked up samba somehow in W7 as the eva8000 works fine in Vista and XP), I can't get the OPPO to stream from anything yet some people can?

In the end I decided it was a PITA so bought a 2nd hand NAS from Ebay which the EVA reads from just fine. ;(

I suspect the whole MM streaming market is still a bit touchy ATM, heard good things about the popcorn hour C200 but I'm not interested in yet another bit of streaming gear when the 2 I have already should do the job.

GL. ;)

Try using PS3 Media Server Director. I had the same problem as you with the oppo, it wouldnt read my avi's etc when streaming but if i put the same file on a usb it worked no probs, after i tried the ps3 media server it worked (because ps3 media server transcodes the video files)

Try using PS3 Media Server Director. I had the same problem as you with the oppo, it wouldnt read my avi's etc when streaming but if i put the same file on a usb it worked no probs, after i tried the ps3 media server it worked (because ps3 media server transcodes the video files)

yeah I've tried it. Not much luck though, I can see the files on the OPPO it just ownt play them. Is there an optimal settings page somewhere for PS3 server?

I'm going to use Tversity, which will transcode on the fly to a format native to my panel.

That is, when I can find some ethernet terminators for the 20m of Cat5 cable I just bought. Why does Bunnings sell Cat5 cable off the roll, but not stock connectors?

Fuckbags.

My old man picked up the 52" Sony Z-Series yesterday, and we've got it all set up today.

I can't fault it at all. It looks brilliant.

Rob.

I hope he got an extended warranty! We have two LCDs - Bravia X series 40" in the lounge room and Samsung Series 6 32" in the bedroom. No word of a lie 1 month out of manufacturer's warranty the fucking Sony tuner died on us. Turned it on and it had no channels. Analogue worked, but no digital. Researching the www I found it was likely to be a bit in the tuner that costs 600 bucks to replace. Most of the folks on DTV Forums who lost theirs (cleverly) bought a TIVO / some other PVR with 2 tuners and a hard drive for the same amount they would have spent to fix the TV. That way, their Sony tuner stays dead, but they get 2 tuners and a HDD, which is a better way to spend 600 bucks, assuming you have a spare HDMI slot to plug it into.

I'm rambling.... Anyway I called the extended warranty mob JB HiFi uses and they said yep it sounds like the bit you're talking about that... We'll be there today some time. The dude rocked up at 8pm and in 20 minutes had the back of the Bravia naked, swapped the bit, said sign here. No money required. Thanks very much! I re-set the channels and re-jigged the favourites and she was all good again. But yeah. 1 month out of warranty! I'm glad we got the extended.

As for DLNA... Our Bravia is plugged in to our PS3 which is plugged in to a 1TB Netgear Stora (as well as all the laptops and my PC) so it plays all our multimedia here in the lounge, but for the Samsung in the bedroom we grabbed the Samsung wireless dongle and upgraded our modem router to an N standard to share the love a bit better. We can stream hi-def BD rips across the house without skipping a beat. Unfortunately the Samsung TV doesn't like TVersity but it uses it's own Samsung software to stream from my PC which works, but the Stora server software is great. Both the PS3 and the Samsung TV have no problems at all with it.

Except they are both displaying the name of a directory that was called "!movies" now as "null" even though my PC still displays the directory name as "!movies".

I'll have to work that one out...

Now to figure out videos, for some reason the DivX's I'm trying to share aren't coming up on the TV.

Rob.

I hope your DivXs aren't of the 700MB variety Rob. The 700MB DivX we have played on our 40" have generally looked pretty crap. They might have looked on on a 56cm CRT but they will look pretty bad on your 50+" HD Bravia ya know!

With a bigger TV comes a bigger data plan (thanks iinet for the free upgrades recently) comes bigger files comes bigger HDD comes get yourself some MKV etc. Now those are worth watching on a 50+" Bravia :)

radioBirdman, does the Stora have a Bit Torrent client?

I'm currently running an old Athlon XP as a BT and DLNA server, but am looking at a more purpose built solution

Edited by BeDLaM#29

Unfortunately it does not I'm afraid. I nearly didn't buy it on that, but it was too good a deal (at cost price) and I wasn't so keen on using my credit card at the computer markets (the only other joint I know that sells NAS clients with BT) and paying more money for an unknown branded product....with no real warranty.

It seems to have actually gone a bit screwy on me since running torrents straight to the stora. In the 'MyLibrarys - Video' section I have 3 directories, "!movies", "!music vids" and "!television" but recently the last two movies I have torrented have ended up at the same root level as those 3 directories and "!movies" appears as "null" on both the PS3 and the Samsung TV. It still appears as "!movies" when I view it from my pc though.

Strange. And off-topic. Sorry Rob.