Sign in to follow this  
llmoose

Questions about my 550BE

Now I've had my PC up and running for a few days I have a few questions.

I attempted to unlock the extra cores on the Phenom II 550BE. This didn't go so well. The motherboard is a 785GT-UD3h which people have reportedly unlocked cores with successfully.

As instructed I went into the BIOS and changed the ACC to Auto & Hybrid mode. When the computer rebooted it gets to the "Windows 7 is loading" splash screen and freezes. I also tried to up the CPU voltage .025 and .05v with no success.

I am only using the standard AMD cooler for the time being, would getting a aftermarket cooler make this work or am I simply one of the unlucky ones who cannot unlock the extra cores?

Also according to HWmonitor & CPU-Z my CPU is anywhere from 40-50 degrees although in my bios the healthcheck reports it as 50-55 everytime I check. Which one should I believe and is this normal?

Ok before you learn to run you must learn to walk (proverb I like to use) which means you need to learn your chip limits inside out whilst in dual core mode this means temps mainly and how much they will increase from added voltage.

grab core temp (registers thermal diode temps) and LinX or prime95 now stress the cpu at stock see what the max temps are, this will give you the ability to guesstimate what they will be with a quad cpu with higher voltage, try and do the same with the voltage you think you will need to unlock it ect ect.

Now you know say it peaks at load about 55c as a quad add about 10c to that under load ect ect.

you may need to decrease the cpu multiplier as well, try 12.5x and work your way up then try upping the vcore you should be fine with up to +.15v as these chips handle vcore much better than any intel chips.

then hopefully you can get some decent results like I got

Posted Image

Edited by nesquick

Nah no need for it when I can run 3.4 unlocked (965BE clocks) on stock volts, thinking of getting a better cooler though I don't trust this TX3 with higher voltages on this chip.

Edited by nesquick

nvm.

try upping some northbridge voltage or lowering the ram frequency, setting the ht link lower, setting pci-express to 100mhz... one by one, you never know. Also IMO I wouldn't press anything more in to that CPU than 1.4v on a stock cooler - otherwise you're in for thermal problems.

tbh I never ran in to these problems when I unlocked the 550 be or sempron LE. i have, however, had different issues with my motherboard.

also... in the MIT/ACC section try setting it to: Hybrid/All Cores/ 0% instead?

Edited by slickgrunt

my cpu does the same would unlock in bios,when it went into windows would BSOD on me didnt matter what i tried voltages,cpu nb etc,i have it running at 3876mhz with a .050v increase its 100%stable but i am ruuning a aftermarket cooler,just crank it up in duel and enjoy it.if ya want a quad core they are quite cheap now,but save ur money for your next upgrade."just my thought"

Sounds more like the extra cores were actually turned off for a reason

No way.

Sounds more like the extra cores were actually turned off for a reason

No way.

thats herracy! AMD has always been known as the company that gives you free things :P

I would say your one of the unlucky ones. But if you want an AMD quad core my advice is... buy an AMD quad core. I know I might seem a bit of a revolutionary saying things like that, but I think it's good advice.

I would say your one of the unlucky ones. But if you want an AMD quad core my advice is... buy an AMD quad core. I know I might seem a bit of a revolutionary saying things like that, but I think it's good advice.

even better yet buy an intel quad core :P

even better yet buy an intel quad core :P

They're just for people who think they need all that power they won't use. When it's all said and done, an AMD rig will get you enjoyable frame rates and stability for less cost. The only people who need that kind of grunt and benchmark erotica are corporate IT managers.

But who cares, how snazzy is my new avatar!?

But who cares, how snazzy is my new avatar!?

bit of wank factor in it to :P

my amd machine died :( not really what id call stable lol.

Actually it got treated pretty well, cores unlocked perfectly at stock volts and since it was a BE I just upped the multi to x17 so it was essentially a 965 BE then the board died, well hopefully its the board cause thats what I sent off on RMA.

Actually it got treated pretty well, cores unlocked perfectly at stock volts and since it was a BE I just upped the multi to x17 so it was essentially a 965 BE then the board died, well hopefully its the board cause thats what I sent off on RMA.

LOL. You'd look a bit of a tool if the board checked out okay.

What sought of chip is it? 550BE?

Edited by SceptreCore

yea 550 BE and MA77T UD3P.

tested 2 PSU's, 2 video cards the usual ram tricks ect the board was obviously dead :( was a shame I really liked that board to, since I need a computer I just got a cheap westmere cause i don't like all the really hot expensive i7's really anymore.

yea 550 BE and MA77T UD3P.

tested 2 PSU's, 2 video cards the usual ram tricks ect the board was obviously dead :( was a shame I really liked that board to, since I need a computer I just got a cheap westmere cause i don't like all the really hot expensive i7's really anymore.

See Gigabyte can send out lemons too.

BTW if you looking at pwning that 550BE later, keep it in the community. :)