t-dog

Advice on i7 860 build

ive got the silverstone ft02 which has the same orientation as the raven

ive also got the coolermaster HSF which points from bottom up an fits in ok and doesnt sit over the ram but seriously youll only need a huge HSF if youre planning a big oc

ill be happy with about a 1ghz improvement which most brand name HSF should be up to i guess

if you feel you want to upgrade ram lateron just sell the old sticks on ebay as they still go for pretty high prices considering theyre second hand imo and i dont think youll notice much difference from similar spec ram unless it is a crap brand

and yep the FT02 case is bloody huge for me biggest case ive had by far

all my other cases have been as small as possible to take to lans but i dont get the chance to go very often now so i got something easy to work on and looks good and nice and quiet

i dont know if i would try to save 20 bucks just to go out and get an msi

spend the extra 20-30 and get a name brand and if you dont want your card as a stop gap for the fermi like im doing get a 5850/70

ive bought the alienware 23 inch 3d monitor http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/alienwa...s&cs=audhs1 and thats why im waiting for nvidia

Thanks for the reply Lemaster.

I have done some measurements using a diagram of the dimensions of the Hyper 212+ and I am fairly certain that I will have no problems. However I want to be completely sure before I go out and buy some ram to later find out it won't fit and then either have replace my ram or the cooler.

I am going to the MSY this afternoon after work with my motherboard to get advice from them as I will be getting the cooler from them so hopefully I will find out for sure whether larger heat sink ram kits will fit.

The reason why I am going for a 5770 is because I am not a prolific gamer and thus can not justify going up to a 5850/70 as I will not get the most out of them and will be wasting my money.

What's wrong with MSI for graphic cards? They seem to have fairly decent features for the price.

As stated in my previous post if there are any 5770 graphics with dual dvi that you would recommend from the ones available from either Umart or GoComp let me know.

Upon further investigation of the OCZ Reapers listed above I am not sure if they will be compatible with an 1156 setup. Can anyone confirm this or not because I have not been able to confirm if they will work on an 1156 platform.

I will be phoning up the store tonight so hopefully they will be able to confirm whether it is compatible.

Ok I went to MSY today to see if the Hyper 212+ would fit on my motherboard but they didn't have one in stock. However they did have a TX3 which I used to see if the 212+ would fit without blocking my ram slots. The TX3 is 1mm narrower than the 212+ and it looked like the fan would block the ram slot closest to the CPU. However the other slots look to be fine but if I wanted to go up to 8GB it could be a problem.

However I found a review of a P55 UD5 motherboard which looks like it has roughly the same amount of space between the CPU and ram slots and they used the 212+ in there test rig with Trident ram.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mai...te_ga-p55-ud5/4

The review shows the install of the fan on the other side of the heat sink and not on the side where the ram slots are, but they say that you could mount fans on either side of the heat sink and not obscure any of the ram slots even with ram like the Tridents.

So should I trust this review and order my ram and the cooler?

I suppose I have another option by getting a slimmer fan or mounting the fan on the other side of the heat sink if I get 8GB of ram as there will not be a problem if I am running 4GB. I am just thinking of problems that may occur if I look to upgrade the ram in the future.

So should I pre-order the Tridents or look at other ram?

I forgot another question I was meant to ask with regards to cooler. I am pretty sure I read somewhere but can not recall where, that the fan on the 212+ can be adjusted for height. If this is the case then I would not have to worry about the fan blocking the ram slots as I could just position the fan above the heat sink of the ram.

Can someone confirm that you can adjust the height of the fan as I tried searching and could not find an answer but I m pretty sure I read it somewhere.

Ok I finally finished ordering everything.

I ended up getting the Geil Ultra Evo as Umart didn't have the Tridents in stock. Well they did but they must have only got one in today cause when I ordered it they said it was in stock but when my order went through I got a reply saying they were out of stock. I phoned them up and they said it would take like 2 weeks fo them to get them in. So there were only to ram kits in my budget that I liked in stock which where the Geil and Corsair. As the Corsiar had the same timings as the Geil at a slower speed of 1600Mhz and had gone up in price by $10 to the same price as the Geil I thought the Geil were better value for mony even though they are overkill.

I also ordered my graphics card. http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_revie...2&sid=50494 I didn't really see any point spending another $11 to get the XXX version unless you guys think I would be better of getting that as I don't plan to overclock my graphics card.

Plaease let me know if the XXX is worth the extra money so I can cancel my order and buy the XXX.

Everythings all good buddy.

Make sure to take some pictures when you have it all setup to show off :)

Yeah will do, I definitely want to show this thing off as it will be the best rig I have ever built.

It’s about bloody time this thing is completed to. I started designing this build like 2 months ago and I am only now going to complete it this weekend if all goes to plan.

I just got back from dinner and haven't really had a chance to look at what I picked up today properly.

I picked up the graphics card, power supply and ram. I held of buying the cooler until tomorrow as I went the MSY first as it is near my work and didn't have the ram to see if it would fit as I got the ram from Umart which is on the other side of town.

Anyway the heat sinks on the Geil Ultra's is just normal so I shouldn't have any problems with the cooler so I will go pick it up tomorrow after work. Once I pick up the cooler that will be everything and I will start the build on Saturday.

you realise that add-on cards for USB3/SATA3 are almost a reality (there's a review in Tech Talk), so there's no need to be 'stuck' with choosing from a couple of mobos - all you'll want is a spare pci-e x4 slot.......

As far I can tell the normal UD4 motherboard is no longer avaialbe and the price differnece between them when they were both on sale was only like $10. Also the UD4 A version was the only motherboard in my price range that had pci-e 8x for the second slot. The only other offering was from Asus and that was for the same price but didn't have Sata III or Usb 3.0 so the gigabype P55A UD4 was the best value for money motherboard to me.

Also as far as I am awre the A versions from Gigabyte use the Lotes socket and not Foxconn.

Also the motherboards in my price range only had 2 pci-e slots greater than 4x so you will only have one highspeed pci-e slot left.

you realise that add-on cards for USB3/SATA3 are almost a reality (there's a review in Tech Talk), so there's no need to be 'stuck' with choosing from a couple of mobos - all you'll want is a spare pci-e x4 slot.......

They are already being advertised in the Green Guide down here OBA - $49 for either pci-e or expresscard (for notebooks)

nice build btw ...

Thanks karlm.

Well I have just finished putting the build together. I will post some pics tomorrow when I have better light.

Unfortunately for me the computer is just lying there doing anything as I can't get it to boot into windows. My brother helped me with the build and he knows a few things about computers (I am the one that is a bit of a noob) so hopefully we can figure it out but he has work tomorrow and had to go home so I will only be able to try and fix it tomorrow.

What makes matters worse is that I don't have a wired keyboard so that also prevented us from trying to fix the problem. So hopefully tomorrow I can get hold of one otherwise I will go out and buy a cheap one.

I do have one question though that I would like feedback on. I installed the Hyper 212 heatsink and tightened it up as much as I could safely, but there is still some slight moment of the heatsink. Is this normal or is the heatsink not attached properly. I am worried as there is slight movement that the cooler might not be in contact with the CPU that well and that it won't cool the CPU well.

Anyway hopefully I will have some better luck tomorrow, but in the meantime I will have to use my old computer.

Ok I am typing this post from my brand new computer. It is finally complete.

I installed Windows 7 Porfessional this morning which I got for $50 through the student deal. I also got a copy of Office Ultimate 2007 for $75 which I still have to install. Awesome thing about this deal is I will be able to upgrade to Office 2010 for free when it comes out.

I have taken some pictures but I still have to resize them so I might post them tomorrow.

The CPU is still at stock speed. I will look at overclocking soon. I had a brief look at the Gigabyte SmartBoost program to see what it actually does, not that I am going to use but it did show the overclock speeds for each setting.

Faster = 2.8Ghz

Turbo = 3Ghz

Twin Turbo = 3.8Ghz

There is quite a difference between the tubro and twin turbo setting.

I might try out the Turbo setting to see what my temps are like before I do a proper overclock as it is only 3Ghz.

What programs should I use for monitoring temps and for bench marking to see if my system is stable.

Edited by t-dog

I am sorry this took so long but I completely forgot to upload some pictures of my build listed in my sig. I even resized the photo's ages ago but forgot to put them up.

So here you are I hope you enjoy. I apologise for the poor lighting my room doesn’t get any direct sunlight.

http://img20.imageshack.us/i/dscf0177y.jpg/

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/dscf0178m.jpg/

http://img695.imageshack.us/i/dscf0183u.jpg/

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/dscf0188p.jpg/