t-dog

Advice on i7 860 build

Hi guys, I am looking at a new Core i7 860 build and would like advice and opinions on the parts I have selected. I am only looking to purchase the system some time in February but I like to plan ahead so I can budget for it. Budget is around the $1600 mark but can go a bit further if it means a significantly better system.

Ok the parts list,

Obviously a Core i7 860 $325 MSY

MB - Asus P7P55D $174 Umart

Ram - 4GB Kit G.Skill Ripjaws 2000Mhz $145 MSY

GPU- Powercolor HD5770 $190 Umart (May look at HD5850 in prices drop by the end of Feb)

HD - Samsung 1.5TB $129 Gocomp (also already have a 300GB, 320GB and 500GB have from old system that will be going into the rig)

Case - Silverstone Raven RV01 $218 Umart

Now I don't know what PSU to get as I will be using 4 hard drives and potentially adding another 2 more down the track. I am also looking at overclocking some time in the future and will more than likely be using a Corsair H50. Can you guys recommend one under $200, preferably around the $150 mark.

I am also looking at getting a new monitor. What is the best 24inch around for around the $300 mark. I have seen an Asus VW246H for $269 which seems to be the best monitor around this price point. Can anyone recommend one better.

This totals to just under $1700 if I use $200 for the PSU and $300 for the monitor.

Also if anyone has a Raven could you tell me the best way to go about installing the Corsair H50 as it is stupid to mount the radiator at the top as all the hot air is going through it. Is there place to mount it at the bottom?

Any help would be appreciated.

There's only one exhaust fan in the case, so you'll have to mount it there. It shouldn't be an issue though, the air going through that area will probably be cool. That's the advantage of having the motherboard on a 90 degree angle. There's plenty of ventilation on the top too.

A Corsair HX-750 will suffice as a PSU. As for the HDD, you'd probably want to check how it fairs performance wise.

Thanks for the quick reply Cyb3r, yeah if it is okay to mount the radiator there I will. I haven't actually seen a Raven in person so I wasn't sure where to mount it. My idea which is probably wrong was to try and mount the radiator above one of the intake fans at the bottom of the case and put a fan on top of the radiator to suck cold air through it from the bottom of the case. As I said my idea is probably not possible/wouldn't work.

As for the PSU I was lookin for one around the 700w mark, so I guess the HX-750 would done. How would a OCZ Modxtream Pro 700w PSU compare to the Corsair as it is slightly cheaper or am I just better off the stick with the corsair.

If I find that having all the Hard drives connected up causes problems I will just remove one as I have an external caddy which I could put it in.

Edited by t-dog

I wouldn't put the radiator on the intake fan (if you can get it to fit), because then you'd have the hot air coming through the case. As for the PSU, I think you'd be better off with the Corsair.

Yeah I realised that after I posted it, that the hot air from it would be going up through the case. I was only looking at it from one perspective as the cold air from the bottom of the cases would help cool the radiator but I didn't take into account that the heat generated from the radiator would heat up the air inside the case and would probably negate the colder air used in the first place.

I will definately be looking at the Corsair for my PSU as it seems to have really good reviews and comes with a 5 year warranty.

Thanks again Cyb3r.

I completely misinterpreted what you said about the HDD Cyb3r. I thought you were talking about having so many HDD connected up would cause performance issues. I didn’t realise you were referring to the actual performance of the Samsung HDD being a 5400rpm HDD. I initially thought it would be alright having a 5400rpm as it will be used for storage. However you got me thinking Cyb3r about the performance of the HDD and I realised that It will be my largest HDD and I will probably be using it more than just for storage.

So which is better, a Seagate SATAII NCQ 1.5TB for $141 or a Western Digital 1.5TB Green Power 32MB for $136?

Also how does the MB I selected stack up against similarly priced competitors?

How about the monitor. Are there any better 24inch monitors for under $300?

You would want to avoid the WD Green Power 1.5TB.

Motherboard should be ok.

I would recommend this monitor - it comes highly regarded.

BenQ G2420HD

Thanks for the reply 2SHY, I assume you are talking from experience about the WD Green Power drive as you have got one listed in your sig. What exactly is wrong with it?

So I guess you would recommend for me to go with the Seagate over the WD if I wanted a 7200rpm 1.5TB drive.

I looked into the Benq monitor and I will definately be considering it along with the Asus that I listed and will try and have a look at them and others side by side in store.

What is the difference between the Corsair HX-750 and the TX-750 as I can get the TX-750 for $167 which is much cheaper than the HX-750 and it comes with a 5 yr warranty as well.

Would I really see any benefit using the HX over the TX?

Edited by t-dog

Would I really see any benefit using the HX over the TX?

A few other things probably but mainly the HX is modular so you only use the cords you need.. makes for a tidier case and better airflow

hx-750 is also more efficient so it will save you a bit in power (not enough to be worth upgrading to but if buying new id say its worth the extra) has 7 year warranty although 5 is plenty power regulation is excellent not that there was anything wrong with the tx regulation

Would definitely go for the (much) more efficient HX-750 - the TX 750 & 850 were also Corsair's weakest units, though still pretty decent by most standards.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will stick with the HX-750.

Since I am trying to future proof this system, so it will last for at least 2-3 years I realised that I am choosing the wrong motherboard as I should get one that has Sata III and USB 3.0

This being the case which would be the better choice between an Asus P7P55D-E and a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P? There is only a few dollars difference between them so price will not matter.

Ok I have another question that I would like advice on.

I am looking to overclock the computer eventually, most likely using a Corsair H50 cooler. However as this will be my first real overclock I am wanting to see how the system performs stock, as I am sure it will be a huge performance increase over my current setup and it may not require to be overclocked. Also I would want to first learn more about the system before I start messing around with it and learn how to overclock the CPU so it don't damage it.

My question is, how hard would it be to overclock the computer later on when the system is already built? Obviously I will have to remove the motherboard to attach the cooler but should I just install it to begin with so that I wouldn't have to uninstall the motherboard.

Also what thermal paste would you guys recommend for me to use over the stuff that comes with the CPU?

Attach the cooler from the start. I don't see why you wouldn't want to do that. Most people overclock once it's built; only those who push their system to its complete limit (for benchmark purposes) will do it beforehand.

The main reason why I am hesitant about installing the cooler is due to budget. PC parts seem to be the most volatile priced electronics as there prices keep going up and down.

Prices for my system are up about $100 from 2 weeks ago. Hopefully the prices will drop back down again by the end of Feb when I intend to build the system.

Also can anyone give any advice on the two previously listed Motherboards.

If you want to save money, PCCG have a sale on the 'Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme Heatsink Rev. C.' Only $50, because the new model came out. The Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P mobo should be fine.

Ok it is almost March so I am looking to finalise my system so I can start ordering.

Here is the latest revision of the system.

CPU - i7 860 $330

MB - Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 $199

Case - Raven RV01 $219

PSU - HX-650 $159

HD - Seagate 1.5TB NCQ $139

Ok there are some things left out of the system which I need clarification on.

I am going to hold out buying my graphics card until the release of Nvidia's latest cards and use the onboard graphics in the mean time.

I am not sure which ram to get because from what I can tell if I get anything faster than 1333Mhz I would have to overclock the CPU to get any benefit from the faster ram speeds.

As I am a complete noob to overclocking I am wondering what would be the best ram to get. I can get a 4GB kit of G.Skill 1600Mhz Ripjaws for $140 from MSY. However I can get a 4GB kit of Geil Ultra 2133Mhz ram from Umart for $159.

Obviously to get any benefit from the Geil ram I would have to do some serious overclocking and as I am only starting to learn how to overclock I wouldn't be confident enough to do such and overclock. However would it be better for me to get the Geil ram so when I do become more familiar with overclocking I have the provision to do so?

As I only want the do a small overclock to begin with I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a HSF. I was thinking about getting a Coolermaster TX3 as it is only $27. I know it is not the best cooler around but I am not really aiming to do a major overclock as the stock CPU will be a huge step up in performance to my current setup.

Anyway what sort of overclock would I expect to get with the TX3 and how would I go about overclocking as I have never done it before.

The total of the system if i set aside around $180 for the GPU and include the TX3 will come to under $1500. I am willing to spend a little more on any of the components if it means an improved system.

i didnt think that motherboard came with onboard graphics

thats the same as the one i have ordered i think

i bought a 5770 as i was going to wait for nvidias range to come out and see what theyre like

im only looking to get 4 months though out of this card if the nvidia ones are reasonable

Yeah I think your right it doesn’t look like it has onboard graphics which freakin sucks. Damn umart put onboard graphics instead of Lan.

This means that I will probably have to pull the trigger and go with a HD5770 because I won't be able to wait until Nvidia release there cards as I will need to start putting this together early March.

This brings me to another question about graphic cards. Is there any difference between the graphic cards that just have a fan on them and cards that are fully enclosed besides the fully enclosed ones looking better and less cheap than the cards that are not enclosed? I realise that the cards that are fully closed are more expensive and the none enclosed ones are cheaper so of course they are going to look cheaper, so there is know need to point that out.

Also if anyone can answer my questions from my previous post it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by t-dog

i would add the faster ram that way you wont have to worry about that when you o/c

i think that is the exact cooler that i have ordered and what the reviews i have read it does an alright job and good enogh for a reasonable o/c

do you have budget? i would prob go with a 930 i7 now that they are out and overall will only set you back maybe 250-300 extra with a dif mb and ram and that way you can choose a mb with grafix onboard

lemaster22 I was considering getting the i7 930 however as the i7 860 will still be pretty much overkill system for me at the moment I can't justify the cost of getting the i7 930 over what I have already listed.

Yeah I will have to see about the Geil Ultra as Umart has listed it as pre-order so I will have to find out how long it will take for them to get it in as I wantt to get this build done in a couple of weeks time.

I will also have to find out if the G.Skill Ripjaws from MSY are the black ones as I have heard they are the better ones. Otherwise I will just try and request the blacks and say something that I want that colour to match the rest of my build.

I am also second guessing if I should get a case as big as the Raven to try and save some money there, but I am yet to find a case that I would like to get instead of it that is considerably cheaper.

If I get a TX3 cooler for my build where would be the best place to mount the fan given the Ravens orientation? Would it be best to mount the fan facing the bottom of the case to suck in cold air from the bottom of the case or mount it at the top where it would act more like an exhaust?

Okay I have decided to change my build again and hopefully it will be for the last time as I am going to buy some parts this weekend and finish buying the rest of the parts next weekend and build it.

Okay here is a run down of my latest revision.

CPU – Core i5 750 (decided to go for this as it is better value for money over the i7 860) $229 Computer Alliance

MB – Gigabyte P55A UD4 $199 Computer Alliance

Ram - 4GB kit of G.Skill Trident 1600Mhz $149 Umart (decided to go for these over the Ripjaws as MSY has put the price up to $147, and as they are the red ones not the black so I thought the Tridents would be better for only $2 more)

Case – Raven RV01 $219 Umart

GPU – Most likely a MSI HD5770 for $179 (I can’t hold out for Nvidia’s)

PSU – HX650 $159 MSY

HD – Seagate 1.5TB $139 MSY

HSF – Coolermaster Hyper 212+ $39 MSY

Burner – Pioneer DVR218L $37 Umart

Total $1349

Now I have a few questions with regards to the build.

Will the Tridents heat sinks being quite large interior with the mounting of the cooler.

Also where would be the best place to mount the fan on the cooler? I would think mounting it at the bottom would be the best.

Any advice with regards to the system would be greatly appreciated.

Okay I just picked up the Raven RV01 Case today from Umart. Man it was a bitch to get the box into my car. I first tried to put it in my boot, but my being stupid I forgot to take my sub out of my boot before going. Then I put it on the back seat, but then I could see out my back window and as it was a rainy day I thought it probably wasn't the best idea to reduce my vision. So then I had to fold the back seats down and even then it was a bitch to get in. The whole process took like 10 minutes to get it into my car.

Anyway now I am at home and have unboxed it and it doesn’t seem as big as I thought it would be as this is the first time I have seen one in person. I saw a 800D a couple of weeks ago and thought that was massive and was having second thoughts about getting the Raven as it dimensions are meant to be bigger but it seems a lot smaller than the 800D.

Anyway I didn't but anything else so it is an empty case at the moment as I am still waiting for some feedback on the build listed above.

My main concern is mounting of the cooler and not being able to install it because of the heat sinks of the Tridents.

So if anyone has a Gigabybe P55A UD4 MB can you please let me know if I will have any problems with the system above?

Ok latest update. I picked up my motherboard and i5 750 CPU yesterday.

I have also ordered my HDD and PSU and will be picking them up tomorrow and Thursday respectively.

Now I have had a look at my motherboard and I am still unsure if the Hyper 212 + cooler will block my ram slots and if I will have enough clearance for the larger heat sinks of ram like the Tridents.

This also brings me to another question about the ram assuming I am able to fit larger heat sink ram, what should I go for out of the following?

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=185

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...2800_reaper_hpc

I can get the Tridents for $149 and the Reapers for $155

The Reapers have lower timings at the same speed. However I think they may have been discontinued which will make upgrading the ram to 8GB harder later on.

If I can't fit ram with large heat sinks there are also these options available to me.

http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showGallery/id/189

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...2&sid=51075

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...2&sid=47463

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=222

http://www.geil.com.tw/products/show/id/203

Sorry for so many links I just want to be sure that I am buying the best that I can.

I would also appreciate any feedback with regards to the cooler and ram on my motherboard as a lot of the ram kits listed are pre-order and I would like to order them as soon as possible so I can finish my build this weekend.

Also could anyone recommend which HD5770 graphics card I should go for from what is available from Umart or GoComp that has dual DVI.

Thanks in advance.