I'm looking for a PSU for my new build.

E8500

HD4870

P45-DS4P

WD 750GB

7.1 Forte

4GB ddr2 ram

Pioneer DVR-216

I was considering a 650W generic Hytec PSU, but generic brands might be best to avoid, especially if I can find little information on them. The Corsair HX620 was suggested to me in another thread, but it's about twice the price of the Hytec and I'm not sure it is crossfire compatible as I may plan on going for two HD 4870s in the future (x8/x8 oh well). But if the Hytec really would be more of a risk than a bargain then I'll be willing to pay more as it's an important area of the PC.

EDIT: managed to find a list of crossfire PSUs, and apparently the HX620 should be good for two.

Thanks

Edited by foolz

Man, the Corsair is only like $140. That's bugger all to pay for a decent PSU. Especially when you've got a $400 graphics card.

EDIT: Hey, it has gone up in price. Cheapest is $179. Still not a bad price though, I'd pay it if I needed a PSU and didn't have one already...

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

The danger with a generic brand would be if it died a couple of years down the track that it might take out components with it, yeah? It would probably be smarter paying the extra $100 or so than risking having to pay $500 for a new PSU and damaged video card in a year or twos times. Plus it appears to be crossfire certified so that's an added bonus for the future.

Thanks Harmonic Cacophony. :)

Edited by foolz

Updated main list format to allow up to date prices from staticice (cheers tantryl)

Added a secondary list for PSU's that are no longer listed on staticice.

Hey Mohawk.

Corsair have this new value PSU, the CX-400w, that looks like a spiffy unit. I haven't got any reviews from the usual respected sites posted in the list, but I did manage to find one review.

Seeing as Im building a unit for my brothers mate for around about $800... at a mere $84 this little baby seems to be the perfect choice.

yeah the CX 400 seems really promising! single 30A 12v rail. i hadnt been able to find a review so thanks for that link.

the seasonic s12 II 430W and the Earthwatts 430W are its best rivals it seems, but both those have two 12v rails. all three are said to have max combined wattage of 360w for 12v.

the earthwatts 430w doesnt have 120mm fan.

here is something i am trying to figure out...

which is the best value modular psu, whether listed here or not, in the 600-700w range. if not modular, which doesnt have a crazy amount of cables (or is such great value that wrestling with cables is a easily overlooked)

and same question, but in the 700-800w range.

availability now and in the future also is a factor i think should be considered when determining such a choice.

im thinking the Earthwatts 650W is the best for the 600-700w range. if it absolutely had to be modular then the Seasonic M12 II or Zalman ZM600-HP. but i am willing to be corrected. i have a corsair hx-620 which i bought long ago when they were cheaper - ave never had any problems with it, but its too expensive now when compared with other choices that have become available since the time it once dominated.

Hey SC. I've known about the CX 400 for a while now and have been waiting for one of the four to review it as I would love to see it on the list, so fingers crossed it happens soon.

True Flag. The best value modular PSU would be the Seasonic M12 700W which covers both of your ranges.

As to non modular PSU's, you will just have to read through each review and count how many fixed cables each has to see which one will suit your needs and your budget.

Also, your question about future availability is not one any of us can really answer as we don't no how long a company will keep a particular line running.

Edited by mohawk

here is something i am trying to figure out...

which is the best value modular psu, whether listed here or not, in the 600-700w range. if not modular, which doesnt have a crazy amount of cables (or is such great value that wrestling with cables is a easily overlooked)

and same question, but in the 700-800w range.

availability now and in the future also is a factor i think should be considered when determining such a choice.

im thinking the Earthwatts 650W is the best for the 600-700w range. if it absolutely had to be modular then the Seasonic M12 II or Zalman ZM600-HP. but i am willing to be corrected. i have a corsair hx-620 which i bought long ago when they were cheaper - ave never had any problems with it, but its too expensive now when compared with other choices that have become available since the time it once dominated.

i thought the A-Power G.L. 860W T-F was a good buy for the dollar

i thought the A-Power G.L. 860W T-F was a good buy for the dollar

Considering that you can buy that PSU for $59 at MSY and I can't find a review any where, I would never recommend such a POS to anyone. Quality PSU's with similair wattage's should cost from approx $220 to close to $300.

Nice find raradawg. I can also see that they have the HX 450 on its way as well. All the new HX's also come with a 7 year warranty which is 2 more than the original ones. I can't wait until they get reviewed buy the trusted 4.

Yeah...they announced it on facebook because I'm a fan of Corsair lol.

They look similar to the HX 1000 so they might be made by CWT... thats a guess lol.

O_O"??! Thermaltake ToughPower is made by CWT? Just going back to the first page.

Who else has heard about XFX's throw into the PSU ring?

The unit would have a rated power output of 850W with a corresponding name, the “XFX 850 Black Edition.” Other specifications presented to The Tech Report include a single +12V rail with 70A maximum output, 80 Plus Silver certification with up to 88% efficiency, a quiet 135mm ball-bearing fan and tight voltage regulation with a ±3% tolerance. It will also feature modular cabling, giving users the ability to add up to two PCI-E, 11 SATA, 8 Molex and 2 floppy disk power connectors, with standard ATX and EPS12V cables hard-wired.

EDIT: I found this picture of it.. it's pretty enticing.

Posted Image

Edited by SceptreCore

Because it has XFX branding it will most likely be overpriced like their other products are.

As for the looks it does not bother me. It's the performance I care about.

Because it has XFX branding it will most likely be overpriced like their other products are.

Yeah whatever mohawk, you'd take that thing out of the case every night... and take it to bed with you.

You little PSU charmer you.

Yeah whatever mohawk, you'd take that thing out of the case every night... and take it to bed with you.

You little PSU charmer you.

ROFLCOPTER!

HAHAHA THATS SOO FUNNY XD!

I had a feeling that it would be made by CWT...

I knew my Thermaltake Toughpower wouldn't have been that bad either XD.

But I should think Corsair as my top next time...

12 Molex connectors...omg...I dont think many people would using more than half XD

I will be going back to Zalman, when/if my Corsair dies. I find them a little quieter, and I prefer the cool glow of a little LED light. Both made by Seasonic anyway.