mohawk

Atomic’s Most Recommended Psu’s Thread.

Just a quick question about my PSU. Ive got a Antec NEO ECO 450w PSU. Its got 36 amps on the 12v rail and im wondering whether id be able to run Xfired 4870s, E7200 at 3-4ghz, 4gb ddr2 800mhz, 2 hard drives, 1 dvd drive and 5 fans with it? Im probably going to need to upgrade if i decide to grab another 4870 but just thought id ask so i know when the time comes.

Just a quick question about my PSU. Ive got a Antec NEO ECO 450w PSU. Its got 36 amps on the 12v rail and im wondering whether id be able to run Xfired 4870s, E7200 at 3-4ghz, 4gb ddr2 800mhz, 2 hard drives, 1 dvd drive and 5 fans with it? Im probably going to need to upgrade if i decide to grab another 4870 but just thought id ask so i know when the time comes.

Under heavy CPU & GPU load it'll draw 350W+. So that's do-able by an Eco 450W, but not preferable. A nice 650-750W PSU would be preferable.

Just a heads up for next time- you are probably better starting your own thread for this sort of question. It is kind of related to the thread topic, but you'll likely get more replys with your own thread in Building, Troubleshooting and Modding.

As for your question- I'd say it would probably run, but you would be really pushing the 450w (I'd estimate that you'd be using between 350-400w with two 4870s in the system you listed). Also, unless you are going to use lots of adaptors (which are never ideal anyway) how would you physically have enough power cables for two 4870s? A 4870 requires 2 x 6 pin PCIe, so you'd naturally need 4 in total for two in crossfire.

If I were you, I'd be wanting to upgrade the power supply before attempting two 4870s. Ideally something that can provide the 4 x PCIe that you'll need out of the box. Something like the Corsair HX650 would fit the bill.

Edit- beaten!

Edited by bnew

Added:

• Huntkey Jumper 550W Modular

• Corsair AX1200 1200W

Edited by mohawk

antec has a new psu that looks like it may be decent value

Antec HCG-520 High Current Gamer 80+Bronze $89 \ 620w $119

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search...rent&spos=1

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjQ1Ng==

Max. Load 24A 24A 40A

+3.3V and +5V combined maximumm output: 130W

+12V1 maximum output: 40A(480W) (620w model 48A 576W)

Total Continuous Power: 520W

Efficiency Up to 88%

there is also a 400w model but its not being imported

there was some news back in june about some antec hcg 750-1200w 80+gold psu

http://www.gnd-tech.com/main/content.php/2...r-Supply-series

anyway it will be good to see some reviews of them

Added:

• Antec EarthWatts EA 380D Green 380W

• Seasonic X - Series 460W Fanless

• Seasonic X - Series 560W

• Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W

I realise there are only a couple of passively cooled PSU's, but could they have a seperate class?

I also noticed a lot of questions on " how many watts do I need?" Thermaltakes online calculator should stop those.

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/index.jsp

Problem with the calculator is that it doesn't make it very clear that the final amount it suggests is the wattage rating of a PSU, not the amount the system will draw. Which means it about doubles what the actual real draw will be. So a lot of people end up getting something that can do quadruple what their system draws "just in case". Which is a massive waste of money.

For example, if you take this test system and plug it in to the calculator it says 498W. Yet the actual power consumption is 375W AC and considering that PSU would have ~82% efficiency at that point it means around 305W DC.

So the calculator finds 498W, the system would draw 305W, and most people would end up buying a 800+W PSU to be on the safe side. It's just annoying.

In the case of my system, it overmeasured about 250w, mine draws near what it said (from the wall) but it doesn't give the option to input that higher voltage/clocks on the two 480's contributed ~200w, thus it overmeasured.

A fine PSU, but not readily available and ~$70 where it is. For a lower price and greater availability the Antec Neo Eco 400C is more practical. Or the Corsair CX-400.

But none of them would fit the bill like a 82-86% efficiency ~$50 PSU would.