mohawk

Atomic’s Most Recommended Psu’s Thread.

I purchased a Corsair TX650 today to replace a shitty one which could only spin up the fans but would not boot.

Installed it, tidied up the cabling with a dozen cable ties, hit the On button & after about 2 secs "P0P..!!" 4 Caps blew up...

New one arriving tomorrow. I really hope it doesn't happen again..

did you buy a tx 650 or a tx 650 v2?

ny first tx 750 was doa to it went pop right away after the fans half span then nothing

second is still going but has started to make arcing electric noises under heavy load it would be over 2 years old now

the old tx was good value for its time but newer models made by seasonic like the ax 850< are a higher quality psu but you pay for it and as with everything they to will have there duds

My TX750 still works without being noisy or anythin like that, but i think i'll swap it out at xmas time.

Not sure if it was v2.

I'm awaiting the call to pick up the new one.. I'll let ya know..

I've also had a TX750w for a long time now powering a watercooled & oc'd box.

It seems to be the most reliable component in my rig..

Edited by Ape

No problem with the new TX650, powered up & running fine & the smoke has stayed inside so far.

Dasa, v2 it is..

Only problem I have now is USB is defaulted off in the bios I think & without a PS2 keyboard i'm screwed till I can get one...

I noticed the list on the first page was last edited in Nov 2010. Do PSU's not change much?

not really but there has been a number of new psu released in the last 3 months and will probably be a few platinum psu showing up in the next few months so its probably about due for some updates

I grabbed a TX750 V2 with my new build recently and it does this high pitched whine which appears to happen when the pc is both and off. If I switch the power to the PSU off the whining gradually goes away but it fluctuates as it goes out.

Should I be RMAing it?

^^ I'm not 100% sure in your case, but I know certain power supplies do this (capacitor whine) and think the TXv2's in particular do so.

Cheers for the reply. I spoke to Umart and they basically just told me to return it and exchange as I'm still within the 7 day period. If I get another like this I'll probably just deal with it.

Makes me laugh though - people make a big deal about corsair and yet something like this is apparently common?

Cheers for the reply. I spoke to Umart and they basically just told me to return it and exchange as I'm still within the 7 day period. If I get another like this I'll probably just deal with it.

Makes me laugh though - people make a big deal about corsair and yet something like this is apparently common?

corsair doesnt make the psu or anything much really they are just a brand with good warranty

and the tx is kinda the budget line so it will be more likely to have a few gremlins than the ax

electrical noisy whine is a common problem with many pc parts mb gpu and psu are the most common offenders but its not often a big problem and usually only under heavy loads or when overclocking not during standby

Edited by Dasa

If you're meant to expect average quality from the tx series then what about the gamer series or builder series :/

Oddly, the noise has stopped at the moment. I have no idea what is different.

If you're meant to expect average quality from the tx series then what about the gamer series or builder series :/

Oddly, the noise has stopped at the moment. I have no idea what is different.

the gs 600 is the only one available in au and its only $10 less than the tx 650 while having less efficiency so id expect build quality to be similar but with slightly less efficient/cheaper parts hence the lower price

the cx models look to be as cheap as they can make them while still making a half decent (safe) psu for a cheap home\office pc

tx is built to a budget but they are still a psu that can provide fairly solid output and there failure rate is probably similar to most others in there price range (low) but if they fail it is very unlikely they will kill your pc and you get a great 5y warranty suitable for a budget gaming pc although there is now more efficient psu available at a similar price

antec has some 80plus platinum psu on the way

The new Antec Eartwatts series comes in three flavors. They are EA-450 Platinum, EA-550 Platinum and EA-650 Platinum. MSRP for those units are 109.95, 119.95 and 129.95USD respectively. OEM is rumoured to be FSP.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8598

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPow...id=6&type=2

I bought a shaw 750w from MSY the other day, for $23.

Mini Review:

It only had 2 molex plugs, and 1 4-pin cpu connector. For some reason it had about 6 sata power leads and still included those floppy power connectors too (on the sata leads!!) wtf... anyway..

I used as many molex splitters as I needed to power 2x 8 pin powers in a 2900xt and only used 1x 4 pin for the CPU (the second was option on s775 i believe... unless extreme overclocking was taking place and it was exceeding the draw of a single cable (~190w afaik). the 8 pin doubling this.

It ran an overclocked q6600 @3.0 / 2900xt combo under prime 95 for a few days no issues, 2900xt draws ~180w idle and ~300w load.

It seemed ok for a $23 PSU, I would recommend it for a cheap PC but not for your beast, or for anyone you might have to see again in the future.

On the plus side, it does come with 3 yrs warranty.

I bought a shaw 750w from MSY the other day, for $23.

Mini Review:

It only had 2 molex plugs, and 1 4-pin cpu connector. For some reason it had about 6 sata power leads and still included those floppy power connectors too (on the sata leads!!) wtf... anyway..

I used as many molex splitters as I needed to power 2x 8 pin powers in a 2900xt and only used 1x 4 pin for the CPU (the second was option on s775 i believe... unless extreme overclocking was taking place and it was exceeding the draw of a single cable (~190w afaik). the 8 pin doubling this.

It ran an overclocked q6600 @3.0 / 2900xt combo under prime 95 for a few days no issues, 2900xt draws ~180w idle and ~300w load.

It seemed ok for a $23 PSU, I would recommend it for a cheap PC but not for your beast, or for anyone you might have to see again in the future.

On the plus side, it does come with 3 yrs warranty.

unfortunately that psu can only handle ~300w its v output would be rather unstable and if pushed to around that level for long its likely to go pop killing the hdd\gpu\mb ect.

i would only use it in a free pc with igp that is used for browsing the web and checking email

Edited by Dasa

New EarthWatts Platinum 650W will hopefully hit our shores. Getting over 90% efficiency with very good noise/ripple at most draws and able to draw 720W on the 12V rails at ~86% (so the equivalent of a decent 800W stickered PSU).

New EarthWatts Platinum 650W will hopefully hit our shores. Getting over 90% efficiency with very good noise/ripple at most draws and able to draw 720W on the 12V rails at ~86% (so the equivalent of a decent 800W stickered PSU).

ah nice a review

looks like the 450w $100 550w $110 650w $120 models are now in stock in the us and all have 2 x 6+2-Pin

Antec VP350 looks decent. There are pros and cons.

Pros:

- Very good transient filtering stage meaning if you've got a bit a wobbly mains supply it'll hold up well.

- $43-$50

- Exceptional lack of noise/ripple

- Can deliver it's full rated power, an actual 350W PSU

Prons:

- Efficiency is decent but not brilliant. But expect 78-81% in the sort of system you'd use it with.

Cons:

- Over Power Protection doesn't exist or doesn't work. Which means the PSU will fry instead of simply shut off it you attach it to something with a 370W+ power draw.

So you'd probably want to go with the Antec VP450 instead.

Pros:

- Good efficiency, 80-86%

- Another great transient filtering stage

- Over Power Protection works - instead of dying the PSU will simply shut off if you draw more than ~600W

- $52-$60

Cons:

- Ripple/Noise is still good, but not nearly as good as the VP350

- Only rated for 360W on the 12V rails (VP350 rated for 336W), although it can actually draw up to 528W before the OPP kicks in

It's probably been mentioned here, but would I benifit from the AX over the HX if I'm just running 1 card and not overclocking anything?

What are the major advantages for the AX?