Aki54

GT5 delayed yet again.

http://kotaku.com/5446924/gran-turismo-5-d...elease-date-tba

Which can likely be translated as "We played Forza 3 and realised we're behind the curve." $60 million to make, I can't even begin to comprehend how many units they're going to have to sell to profit on that let alone break even. For even who's going to say "Well it's Gran Turismo, it's bound to sell millions and millions of copies!" Uncharted 2 has won dozens of GOTY awards, is one of the most highly reviewed and praised games of this generation, is the benchmark of quality on the PS3 and considered a must play has sold roughly 1.5 million copies. Probably not enough for it to break even. So taking that into consideration how will Gran Turismo sell when hardcore sim racing games are extremely niche titles.

( http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/6283.html UC2 sales No. source. Dated 12/12/09 even with amazing Christmas sales UC2 wouldn't have broken 2 million yet I reckon.)

Edited by Aki54

It won't pull a Duke Nukem Forever. It will be released.

But I don't see it being successful unless it's bundled with another game or two (eg Team Fortress 2).

It's been delayed so long that people are not caring about it now. Sure it will sell, but I don't think they will hit any targets they set because of the delay.

The only other thing I can see saving it is if it's released at a time when there's no other racing games released.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:. - it's an easy mistake. I think he meant GT or GT5 in the title, not GTA.

Edited by morris

GT5 will have to be mind-blowing to justify the extremely long development time. Even if it manages to out do Forza 3, they'll have to contend with the fact that F4 will already be a few months in development by the time it comes out, and Sony will have to question whether the GT series is a justifiable expense. How much more profitable would the combined forces of Forza 2 and 3 be? Finally, allowing 2 or 3 more Forza sequels before GT6 will be a humiliation.

I am certain when released, it will sell like mad because people are still waiting for a kick ass racing sim and I think of it as hunger.

When your hungry for a long period of time and then finally have something to eat, it tastes so good and you talk about how good it was and this will be the same with GT5.

What i don't get is how the OP can make the assumption that Gran Turismo 5 creators even know Forza 3 is good? Is this a whiff of fanboi-ism?

Sure it may be good but we may never real reason for the delay.

Though it has be said that this will cost them money. Releasing sooner rather than later would be better..

I think they will make the money back over time rather than an immediate short term sales time frame. Until it is released we won't know if it makes that amount of money back. Or if $60 million dollars was really spent on the game.

Wait and see.

What i don't get is how the OP can make the assumption that Gran Turismo 5 creators even know Forza 3 is good? Is this a whiff of fanboi-ism?

It is odd for them to say Forza 3 is good considering they are trying to create a better sim.

Could be wrong >_>

There is a difference between speculating and assuming.

The more this gets delayed, the more pressure it puts on Polyphony and Sony to bring out something truly amazing.

I hope they succeed, but i also hope i can play it before i get arthritis.

The more this gets delayed, the more pressure it puts on Polyphony and Sony to bring out something truly amazing.

I hope they succeed

Can't bet all your money at once but I also hope so.

Maybe Sony saw that everyone liked their 3D TV's at CES and want to wait until they have a good market base for the TV's, all the while updating GT5 to be released as the first big name 3D game.

Maybe Sony saw that everyone liked their 3D TV's at CES and want to wait until they have a good market base for the TV's, all the while updating GT5 to be released as the first big name 3D game.

GT5 in 3D would let alone be awesome to play.

Would kinda feel like your there in the car.

lol 2SHY take a chill pill, I'm fairly sure that comment was tongue in cheek, the fact that you reacted that way to it (which may be what aki54 was aiming at) makes me think you may be the real fanboy here. Harden up.

Index, since GT5 has been in development, we've already had 2 courses of this magical meal, Forza 2 and Forza 3, I think GT5 may be the desert that some people want, and others just pick at, if you get my meaning ;)

I'll be interested to see what GT5 is like, but if they have no ETA for it still, I'm not going to hold my breath. I wonder what has made them push it back, again.

Edited by nukejockey

I'm not convinced that they'd delay the game to implement 3D. It's an unnecessary addition at this point in time, particularly since majority of people don't have 3D capable screens. And even if people did, the game is only going to get less appealing the longer they wait.

I remember reading an article where the lead designer of GT states his thoughts about Forza 3, apparently some of his team were playing the game, he looked it and says "that's not a racing sim". I don't where the article is from but if I find it I'll post it here, I think they're well aware of Forza 3.

6 years of development is a long time, have they made use of that time? Who knows .

Does anybody know what the development costs for Uncharted 2 were? I bet they were huge.

Edited by King_TriTAN

I'm not convinced that they'd delay the game to implement 3D. It's an unnecessary addition at this point in time, particularly since majority of people don't have 3D capable screens. And even if people did, the game is only going to get less appealing the longer they wait.

Well think of it this way Cyber people do go out of their way to get the best and greatest no matter the cost.

Like you can get 3D capable TV's for around 2 grand and in saying that its not that bad considering the display your paying for, if you want to have the setup.

Uncharted 2 has won dozens of GOTY awards, is one of the most highly reviewed and praised games of this generation, is the benchmark of quality on the PS3 and considered a must play has sold roughly 1.5 million copies. Probably not enough for it to break even.

A quick look around at some sources seems to suggest that about $20m (maybe $30m) was spent on Uncharted 2...

http://www.vg247.com/2009/02/04/uncharted-...ion-says-wells/

if it sold 1.5 million copies in the US, isn't that $90m USD at $60USD/copy? Even if the numbers aren't as straight forward as that, I seriously doubt you need to worry about Uncharted 2 having broken even. It would have done that easily, and then some.

The fact that Halo games print money like no tomorrow doesn't mean that other lesser selling games, especially million+ sellers, aren't also profitable.

As for GT5, it's getting pretty funny. I don't do racing games anyway personally but from a development perspective it's crazy to see another delay this late in the game. And after a "demo" (that came after a "prologue") no less. Oh well.

edit: vgchartz (in all its semi-accurate glory) has it at 2.6 million worldwide. That would equate to MANY times more money than the cost to make it.

Edited by xfu

Uncharted 2 has won dozens of GOTY awards, is one of the most highly reviewed and praised games of this generation, is the benchmark of quality on the PS3 and considered a must play has sold roughly 1.5 million copies. Probably not enough for it to break even.

A quick look around at some sources seems to suggest that about $20m (maybe $30m) was spent on Uncharted 2...

if it sold 1.5 million copies in the US, isn't that $90m USD at $60USD/copy? Even if the numbers aren't as straight forward as that, I seriously doubt you need to worry about Uncharted 2 having broken even. It would have done that easily, and then some.

The fact that Halo games print money like no tomorrow doesn't mean that other lesser selling games, especially million+ sellers, aren't also profitable.

As for GT5, it's getting pretty funny. I don't do racing games anyway personally but from a development perspective it's crazy to see another delay this late in the game. And after a "demo" (that came after a "prologue") no less. Oh well.

I don't buy a game that has sold for more than this and that.

Should buy the game for the story and overall game, Halo was not my cup of tea in fact, over rated.

Should buy the game for the story and overall game, Halo was not my cup of tea in fact, over rated.

You're missing the point, but it's a lost cause pointing that out to you.

I sympathise with the poor code monkeys, being stuck on an constantly delayed project.

You're missing the point.

Well actually I was only referring to the fact that I buy a game for the story instead of looking at sales and it was just a comment on that statement that xfu made.

How many units would be required to break even? What proportion of PS3 owners will that be? How soon 'till they're sitting on the Preowned tables and shelves of the likes of JB, GAME and EB? I don't know where to find them, but you could probably use PS2:GT4 numbers and proportions to model racing-sim enthusiasts with PS3s who would be interested in GT5.

I for one care for driving sims (or sims of any kind, come to think of it) about as much as Dr. Cox cares about the latest Hugh Jackman movie. I just find it amusing that console gaming has its own DNF.

I don't think 1.5 * 60 dollars is the answer, manufacturing, tax and then the middleman would take a chunk out of that money. I think someone said on another forum that's it's only made it into the black but I have no idea if that's verified at all, the game industry seems to be tight lipped about finances compared to the movie industry.

I don't think 1.5 * 60 dollars is the answer, manufacturing, tax and then the middleman would take a chunk out of that money. I think someone said on another forum that's it's only made it into the black but I have no idea if that's verified at all, the game industry seems to be tight lipped about finances compared to the movie industry.

Yeah I know there are other costs involved and that you can't just crunch the numbers in a straight way like that, but if 2.6+ million copies sold worldworld was not going to turn a profit I doubt the project would have been greenlit at all. It's a huge number, and it'll still keep growing slowly.

The staggering sales of certain games this gen seems to have created a misconception that to only have a couple million sold is somehow a commercial failure.

D'oh should've been GT5 and not GTA obviously. I think it's naive to believe that the guys at Polyphony wouldn't have played, discussed and dissected Forza 3. While it's not their direct competitor as they're both console exclusives it would be foolish not to look at the features, reaction to and problems with a console exclusive sim racing game which happens to be exactly what they're making. Thanks for the info on Uncharted 2, I wasn't going to look into it. I just found 1.5 million to be a pretty low number for such a highly praised game which came across as having such high production values. I guess that's the disconnect between enthusiast and mainstream.