Aki54

GT5 delayed yet again.

Anyone else have their usb controller charge cable stolen and a dodgey audio cable or faulty audio on there 80GB PS3? Then upgrade (downgrade) to the 120GB PS3 Slim model that generates so much heat that it could be mistaken for a toaster or a frypan etc... and has this annoying cracking sound as a result?

Oh right off topic. I am looking forward to playing GT5! <.<

Anyone else have their usb controller charge cable stolen and a dodgey audio cable or faulty audio on there 80GB PS3? Then upgrade (downgrade) to the 120GB PS3 Slim model that generates so much heat that it could be mistaken for a toaster or a frypan etc... and has this annoying cracking sound as a result?

Oh right off topic. I am looking forward to playing GT5! <.<

Try to post on topic or start a new thread.

Well the crash system for example, I was told by everyone it is like one of the most realistic yet I see some pretty buggy animations.

I don't think it was ever lauded as the most realistic. Maybe the most realistic for it's type of game (i.e. GT clone), a genre which, up until now, has had piss poor damage. DIRT 2 and Richard Burns Rally probably share the honour of most realistic damage.

AI, Was told the AI is meant to be very smart thinking when in fact I see (On vids by the way) I see some stupid AI racing in the game.

Yeah, videos are exactly the same as playing the game. You do know there are three difficulty settings, right?

Graphics, looked great at E3 and I swear I have seen better graphics man and take a look at what GT5 already looks like.

GT5 is prettier. That is true enough. F3 looks good, however, and maintains 60fps. Plus all 400 car interiors are modelled.

Perhaps I am going to try it and probably will change my statements a bit so ill re post on Forza 3 until I tried it :)

That would be what any person with half a brain might do.

End, any sim racer can create the same all around graphics and have 400 car interiors, and have 60 frames per second.

As far as I am concerned GT5 is meant to show case more than double of what Forza 3 already has (Might be wrong and if so don't chuck a hissy)

For Forza 3 though, its probably the only game of its kind to push what the Xbox360 is fully capable of while Poly are still juicing up the Physics, damage system and overall visual quality with GT5 for the PS3.

Edited by index680i

I don't care what people say, GT5 will be worth buying without comparing it to other racing sims, let alone others that are on a completely different platform. Sure the Forza series may or may not be better than the GT series but most people have either a Xbox 360 or PS3 which means regardless of which is better they will not severely affect each others sales due to the fact that most people have either a Xbox 360 or PS3.

And for the record i will buy GT5 the first day i see it in the shops, weather or not it costs $110 (and I don't normally spend more than $50 on a game).

Invariably, if all you have is a PS3, GT5 will be a must buy. No doubt about that. Even if it's not the best racing game ever, it will be the best for PS3.

index: GT5 doesn't model all it's interiors, and damage isn't fully implemented on every car. So, way to research and all that. For everyone's sake, I hope Polyphony aren't busy 'juicing up the graphics and physics' at this point. The game should be fucking finished.

I hear if you want the best racing simulator, Race Pro seems to be the most accurate you can get on a console, just saying.

Whacky Wheels is the best racing sim you can't get on console, having over 4 cars and at least 3 tracks, just saying.

I hear if you want the best racing simulator, Race Pro seems to be the most accurate you can get on a console, just saying.

Whacky Wheels is the best racing sim you can't get on console, having over 4 cars and at least 3 tracks, just saying.

Well I get the sense that people consider the GT and Forza series as the benchmark for racing sims, in terms of production I'm sure they are but neither are perfect when it comes to realism, from what I know there are more realistic options, just....saying.

Well I get the sense that people consider the GT and Forza series as the benchmark for racing sims, in terms of production I'm sure they are but neither are perfect when it comes to realism, from what I know there are more realistic options, just....saying.

Simbin still make a more realistic sim, but Forza manages to be a complete package, whilst having a phenomenal physics model. To give credit where it's due, it's not far off rFactor, LFS and GTR2 on the sim front.

Interesting blog post on kotaku.

What To Do With Polyphony Digital?

Let's play a game. Imagine you are not you. You are, instead, Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai. And you have a dilemma on your hands.

See, you are part of a massive corporation that for years now has been bleeding money. Meaning across the board, Sony has had to cut costs, trim the fat and find more competitive ways of doing business. Sony Computer Entertainment itself is not excused from this, as witnessed by the "slimming down" of the PlayStation 3 in 2009.

Now imagine that, with hardware sales finally beginning to show signs of sustained success, you shift your focus to the software side of things. To Sony's development studios. See how they're all shaping up, whether any fat can be trimmed from there (remember, this is hypothetical; to the best of our knowledge, Hirai isn't actually doing this).

You don't get very far down your list before you hit Polyphony Digital, developers of the Gran Turismo series. Where there are, next to the polite list of "pros", several large bullet-points in the "cons" section, all of them in very red pen.

No console Gran Turismo since 2004. A PlayStation Portable game that went from system-seller to vapourware to disappointment. A single game (Gran Turismo 5) that has been almost six years in development, has cost a reported $60 million (and counting!) and has just been delayed. Again.

As a man who has a long history with the PlayStation brand, you may think Polyphony is untouchable. That the studio is inseparable from the glory days of the company's gaming division. That regardless of how long Polyphony spends finishing it or how much money is sunk into Gran Turismo 5, it will be a successful game. That it's hard-line realism and gorgeous graphics will serve as the ultimate showcase for the PlayStation 3.

Then again, you are, at the end of the day, a man with a business to run and a bottom line to think about. You're aware that the driving sim is a genre in decline. That those titles remaining in the field have reacted to this and now focus on the raw thrills of driving, rather than the tedium required to master a simulation. And you are reminded that Gran Turismo's only real competition, the Forza series, has managed three full (and reasonably successful) titles in the time it's taken Polyphony to release barely half a game (Gran Turismo 5: Prologue).

Consider all of the above, and answer this: how much longer do you keep giving these people money to sit around perfecting door-knob models and hard-road suspensions? As much time as they need? Do you start implementing some hard deadlines? Or do you go a little extreme and cut them loose?

That's a very sensible look at the Gran Turismo situation. Much more succinct and well written than I could ever manage. 60 million and counting for development, then throw in manufacture, distribution and advertising (Probably as much as development if not more.) on top of that. What really would interest me is what the projected attach rate for something like GT5 is.

PS3 has the smallest install base, what percentage of PS3 owners will pick this up day one. Will it shift consoles? The anecdotal evidence on this forum is that it will, but what we all forget often is that we are the exception, not the rule. We are not average consumers. The fact we are here discussing these things separates us from the normal person who walks into an EB and asks the clerk "What new games are out?"

The very nature of the people who want to make games means they're very nitpicky and perfectionists. Yes, you let them be creative and attempt new and daring things. At the end of the day though they need someone standing over them cracking the whip and saying "near enough is good enough." because you simply cannot have a perfect game.

It's obvious to me I'll be buying Forza 3 before GT5 (lets say both have been released and what not). Why? Because every review I've read on Forza 3 said it was great, not to mention a close friend of mine who bought it said it rocked, then proceeded to show me how it rocks.

As someone already said though, GT5 will sell when it's released, of course it will. And I'll probably be one of those people buying it, unless of course the game turns out to be as terrible as the PSP release *shudder*.

One thing I will say about GT5 is that it still has hooks. As far as us being the exceptions to rule, the reverse situation comes into effect in that a lot of average gamers out there are not well-read enough to know that there's this thing called Forza and that they should give a damn about it. That's been my experience.

A bunch of people I know who own PS3s are completely casual gamers, only own a couple games, use it for media, etc... There's kind of this common thread with people like that and only wanting GT games and maybe a couple similar things. Most of them have Prologue, and will get GT5. And that's just what they want. These are people who, to my frustration, I would never be able to get to play Killzone 2, or Demon's Souls, or just about anything else like that. Some of these people barely even use their PS3, but they played prologue, and it's kinda like "yeah...when the next GT comes out I'll get that for sure".

Conversely, the PS3 owners who are more 'hardcore' gamers like me, have little to no interest in GT5. I know I don't. I got Prologue off a friend for cheap and got rid of it straight away. Boring. If I ever into get a racing game it will be GRID for sure.

I do wonder though how people out there will take a bite en mass when this game finally does see shelves. Will be interesting.

Yay for this post turning into a decent discussion, all of the above rings true for me.

GT is a staple for many casual gamers and as such will sell shitloads but ofcourse, it is going to have to be fucking stellar to be better than Forza 3, infact I prefer to think of it as a double helping for gamers, as we all know GT5 will be great, and that Forza 3 is great, so if you only own one platform you will still have a great console sim, and if you own both you are going to be spoilt for choice.

As soon as I get a 360 I will be getting Forza 3, even if I can't use my Driving Force GT with it.

As an aside I like the physics of GT5:P a whole lot but I have come to prefer the likes of rFactor and the GTR series, just wish they had the financial backing of Forza/GT.

One thing I will say about GT5 is that it still has hooks. As far as us being the exceptions to rule, the reverse situation comes into effect in that a lot of average gamers out there are not well-read enough to know that there's this thing called Forza and that they should give a damn about it. That's been my experience.

A bunch of people I know who own PS3s are completely casual gamers, only own a couple games, use it for media, etc... There's kind of this common thread with people like that and only wanting GT games and maybe a couple similar things. Most of them have Prologue, and will get GT5. And that's just what they want. These are people who, to my frustration, I would never be able to get to play Killzone 2, or Demon's Souls, or just about anything else like that. Some of these people barely even use their PS3, but they played prologue, and it's kinda like "yeah...when the next GT comes out I'll get that for sure".

Conversely, the PS3 owners who are more 'hardcore' gamers like me, have little to no interest in GT5. I know I don't. I got Prologue off a friend for cheap and got rid of it straight away. Boring. If I ever into get a racing game it will be GRID for sure.

I do wonder though how people out there will take a bite en mass when this game finally does see shelves. Will be interesting.

My friend had prologue and grid.

He thought grid was a pile of shit and returned it, he liked prologue though.

I guess the games drive alot differently, he was using a wheel.

Do you use one aswell?

@Morgoth

I have GT:P and Grid on PS3 and Grid on PC too and Grid sucks with a wheel, feels like crap, it is one of the few games that feels lightyears better with a DS3 or 360 pad

Antraman: If you cared to read some of the posts in this thread, you'll find some quality amongst it all. Or if it really is a yawn fest to you, feel free to keep it to yourself and out of this thread.

Yeah see, as a some one not particularly into racing, Grid for me still offers a fun feeling. I like bumping around a tight track, taking a scuff here, smashing through the pack if I feel like letting off some steam... I couldn't give a flying fuck about real racing, real car physics, real world tracks. I can only get into racing games that are fast, visceral, intense.

Hence, Forza and GT put me to sleep faster than a horse tranquilliser. Mind you, I've only played a little Forza 2, never 3.

The thing about GT5 is, it's worth is more than the profit it makes from sales. This is a game that will also sell PS3s, as well as showcasing the console's technical superiority -- even to people who won't buy the game itself (or at least, I'm sure that's what Polyphony and Sony are hoping it will do). To release a game that does not visually show up the competition would be damaging for the PlayStation brand as a whole. Even if it means the production ends up running at a loss, Sony needs this to look as good as it possibly can.

Edited by The Fuzz damn you!

The thing about GT5 is, it's worth is more than the profit it makes from sales. This is a game that will also sell PS3s, as well as showcasing the console's technical superiority -- even to people who won't buy the game itself (or at least, I'm sure that's what Polyphony and Sony are hoping it will do). To release a game that does not visually show up the competition would be damaging for the PlayStation brand as a whole. Even if it means the production ends up running at a loss, Sony needs this to look as good as it possibly can.

I think it would take abit more to shake up the sony faithful but I also think the hype will hurt expectations, prolouge looks great but I only foresee the final game looking abit better then that. After 6 years of development I don't know if GT5 will justify the wait, we know it will be good but 6 years good? Still I wonder.

Antraman: If you cared to read some of the posts in this thread, you'll find some quality amongst it all. Or if it really is a yawn fest to you, feel free to keep it to yourself and out of this thread.

I have read the rest of the thread thank you very much, and while yes this thread has some quality posts it has degenerated into a GT5 v Forza 3 argument, yet again, which has been done to death both here and on many other forums. Perhaps it should have been moderated better...?

There is nothing further to the GT5 v Forza 3 debate that can be said which hasn't been said already, everyone has weighed up the two games in such detail that its clear it boils down to no more than personal preference over which is better.

The topic of the thread is GT5's delay, not a comparison with Forza 3.

So, my input...I believe the delay is due to GT5 being ported to support 3D.

Edited by Antraman