Aki54

GT5 delayed yet again.

Conversely, the PS3 owners who are more 'hardcore' gamers like me, have little to no interest in GT5.

This is rather a presumptuous statement. I have played all GT releases on the Playstation since the beginning. I have the G25 wheel, my 3rd upgrade for the PS and GT in all their iterations. I held a Youtube record on the Nurburgring in a BMW M3 GTR Race Version for almost a year before it was beaten, and I got into the top 250 out of 7000+ Aussie GT5:TT Demo online racers this December....am I still not hardcore enough?

Invariably, if all you have is a PS3, GT5 will be a must buy. No doubt about that. Even if it's not the best racing game ever, it will be the best for PS3.

index: GT5 doesn't model all it's interiors, and damage isn't fully implemented on every car. So, way to research and all that. For everyone's sake, I hope Polyphony aren't busy 'juicing up the graphics and physics' at this point. The game should be fucking finished.

GT5 does model all of its interior and damage is implented on every car (190 or something cars have premium damage like bits falling off and interior damage, like nascar.)

Our own user Digital-Nitrate has discovered an early copy of the February issue of the Official PlayStation Magazine, and it’s got some pretty incredible news! Indy (“IRL”) cars have been confirmed, in addition to “weather effects, as well as night racing for all tracks”! Here’s a nice little summary of everything that’s discussed and confirmed:

1,000+ vehicles

All vehicles have modeled cockpits (170 premium cars will have interior damage modeling)

All vehicles will have both physical and mechanical damage modeling

Indy (IRL) cars and tracks

NASCAR cars and track

Up to 16 players online

High-definition video uploads directly to YouTube

Multi-display rendering

Head-tracking

Full weather and night racing on all tracks

Night/Day on all tracks

tis research bro

"All vehicles have modeled cockpits (170 premium cars will have interior damage modeling)

All vehicles will have both physical and mechanical damage modeling"

Earlier reports said otherwise, but if this is the case, good. It's a standard expectation now.

"All vehicles have modeled cockpits (170 premium cars will have interior damage modeling)

All vehicles will have both physical and mechanical damage modeling"

Earlier reports said otherwise, but if this is the case, good. It's a standard expectation now.

I honestly think these delays are because those earlier reports were infact true, thats the problem with actually doing what the customer wants, its an endless list of stuff.

Some of it is justified, like damage etc, but some things i dont know if they are really needed like 3D, multi display support (how the fuck does that work anyway, my PS3 only has 1 HDMI port) and head tracking.

Even I, the guy who will follow PD off cliff is starting to get impatient.

Edited by wingnut0021

Multi Display works the same as with Forza 3 from what I have been told.

3xTVs

3xXbox360's

3xForza 3

Who the fuck would waste their money?

Conversely, the PS3 owners who are more 'hardcore' gamers like me, have little to no interest in GT5.

This is rather a presumptuous statement. I have played all GT releases on the Playstation since the beginning. I have the G25 wheel, my 3rd upgrade for the PS and GT in all their iterations. I held a Youtube record on the Nurburgring in a BMW M3 GTR Race Version for almost a year before it was beaten, and I got into the top 250 out of 7000+ Aussie GT5:TT Demo online racers this December....am I still not hardcore enough?

The way I worded that, you're absolutely right. I meant to say (continuing on) that the hardcore gamers I know personally are not into it.

The way I worded that, you're absolutely right. I meant to say (continuing on) that the hardcore gamers I know personally are not into it.

Fair enough.

GT5 is a day one purchase for me (as are ALL major game releases that fit my tastes), regardless of when it's released.

Until then, I'll be playing RSRBR2010 (Richard Burns Rally mod) on my PC + G25. :)

I'm actually glad it's delayed... I already have 12 games to buy in between now and early May.

I seem to feel out of the racing games GT is one of the more hardcore racing games, typically has been one of the racers with the most racing modes, higher difficultys, car types etc. When compared to the vast amounts of Arcade style racers that exist.

I seem to feel out of the racing games GT is one of the more hardcore racing games, typically has been one of the racers with the most racing modes, higher difficultys, car types etc. When compared to the vast amounts of Arcade style racers that exist.

GT is technically more of a driving simulator than a racing game, in that its focus is not on a particular world race series and trying to replicate that, like say V8 Supercars or Richard Burns Rally. Rather, the developer, Kazunori has a personal interest in the cars themselves, and therefore focuses on simulating the driving experience of the widest possible variety of cars, in a variety of track environments.

What do people mean by hardcore? Purist? Extreme? Most difficult? Most realistic? I think its a bit of a general term thats bandied about too much without any thought behind it.

GT is technically more of a driving simulator than a racing game, in that its focus is not on a particular world race series and trying to replicate that, like say V8 Supercars or Richard Burns Rally. Rather, the developer, Kazunori has a personal interest in the cars themselves, and therefore focuses on simulating the driving experience of the widest possible variety of cars, in a variety of track environments.

What do people mean by hardcore? Purist? Extreme? Most difficult? Most realistic? I think its a bit of a general term thats bandied about too much without any thought behind it.

When I used the word hardcore, I pretty much meant it in the mainstream media context. You're a hardcore gamer if you're on constantly, play a wide variety of games that are considered "hardcore gamer's games" - the GOWs, Halos, etc... You're a casual gamer if you play occasionally, and have some interest in a few titles here and there, or if you're tastes fall into what's considered the casual genre like Wii Sports.

That's the mainstream definition around the great interwebs. I was just differentiating the different PS3 owners that I know in real life - some game like me, while others just use it occasionally and will grab something like GT, maybe have a Fifa stint, but otherwise are too preoccupied with other things in life to know about or check out much else.

In reality the word "hardcore" is pretty useless. Clearly the definition within one thread between a few people is already so different that it just created more confusion than anything else.

It's exactly the same in the music scene. The word "hardcore" became so bastardised that I had to stop using it. For me, HARDCORE is Nasenbluten, the Bloody Fist label, Hellfish, stuff like that. SO many sub-genres of music have their own definition of hardcore though (metal, punk, fucking happy-hardcore, trance, etc...). The only way to communicate what I mean is to use more specific terms like speedcore, breakcore, speedbass.....ehhhh

Digressing man digresses.

Edited by xfu

I've heard a lot of GT being spouted as more of a Driving Sim then a racer. But to be honest that whole thing is lost on me. I think your reasons for this (Antraman) were actually pretty good. But in each oen of those examples, you're still racing against other cars.

Maybe the term 'Car Simulator' could be used instead since you spend time building / tuning them, etc.

Or maybe I'm putting too much thought into this :\

Calling it a 'Driving Sim' has allowed them to get away with piss poor AI. Hopefully that will be a thing of the past...

They've done a nice job on the modelling. Shame no game (Forza included) quite captures the sheer quantity of movement taking place in a race car. NFS: Shift attempts it, but as the video shows, there's tonnes of little bumps and jolts that just don't make the translation.

GT5 is a racing icon. Sony Japan will not release it unless it is groundbreaking- which given the timescales could mean that it could be one of the final must have titles on before the PS4 arrives

To quote the awesome and talented Vanilla Ice

"Anything less than the best is a felony"

Some new pics of the GT5 online racing menu. http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-onl...menu-screens-1/

There is talk of live weather effects and time of day changes...

Also, the Australian/NZ qualifiers for GT Academy have been run, and Dave Holland is the Australian champ. He was the 2nd fastest in the world on the GTP leaderboard, behind a Mr Takeuchi from Japan.

ive waited soooo long for the release, when is the new release date, god i wish i still had my PS2 in my room so i could at least play GT4

I'm afraid they might of lost touch with the market.

Pretty much all racing games these days are full of youth car culture, have fantastic engine sounds (something GT has never had), and relatively in depth modifications.

I'll be very dissapointed if GT comes out and is full of Japanese sophistication instead of youth car culture, shitty GT legacy sounds, and "stage bla bla add 600hp" modifications. In fact, I don't think I'll be buying this immediately until I've had a chance to play it and dismiss these possible issues. If they all exist to be honest I'd rather play NFS Shift.

I'm afraid they might of lost touch with the market.

Pretty much all racing games these days are full of youth car culture, have fantastic engine sounds (something GT has never had), and relatively in depth modifications.

I'll be very dissapointed if GT comes out and is full of Japanese sophistication instead of youth car culture, shitty GT legacy sounds, and "stage bla bla add 600hp" modifications. In fact, I don't think I'll be buying this immediately until I've had a chance to play it and dismiss these possible issues. If they all exist to be honest I'd rather play NFS Shift.

I don't know what NFS Shift is like, but I have played Carbon demo (not sure who developed either) and I didn't derive any enjoyment in shaping every facet of a vehicles exterior or the slow drift and the drive speed of the cars felt incorrect. Does every new racing title have to have youth culture as a selling point? Maybe they could include overdue car repayments or the ability to fit a smashed tail light or a ding in the side door and bald tyres etc.

I quite liked the stage upgrades feature of previous titles though it is a little samey.

After my post above i did take a look at GT's website and i have to agree on the japanese sophistication point and the sounds.

Need For Speed Shift is the most enjoyable nfs title made, they really got a great balance between sim and arcade to keep it fun. Hell it's a need for speed that is awful with a controller but great with a wheel, that has to say something :p

the nfs closest to shift would probably be pro street, but pro street was very much arcade and rediculously buggy.

Shift also has the best engine Sounds in any racing game I have played to date.

Edited by sicarius123

So whats this Japanese sophistication we're talking about? Is that a bad thing. You saying you want an un-sophisticated game?

Pffft...go elsewhere.

I'm talking about the kooky mid 90's japanese game music, the fact that they don't seem to give a crap that the cars sound awful, the fact that GT games just feels "cold".

You really think that kind of game is going to sell well in this day and age? Or will it be the final nail in the coffin?

Edited by sicarius123

Yes, I think it will sell well, and I think it will blitz the competition. I don' really see why you are using a coffin reference either, the game has been very successful, financially as well as popular.

The music I don't care about...I turn it off anyway. If I wanted to hear music I'd play a CD or something...(yeah, more mid 90's kooky tech *-))

I do agree about the coldness though...there were times when I was racing up until the early hours of the morning, and I was wishing I could at least meet *somebody* else in game...