NukeJockey

Just got me an iPhone!

Finally just got rid of my piece of shit that was a Motorola HipTop (urgh -.-) and replaced it with an iPhone on a Telstra 79 dollar cap.

Anyway, they dont come with games or anything that I can see, so can someone suggest to me a few good games/must have apps to grab from the appstore?

Any things I should know about the iPhone? Secrets/easter eggs/ anything of the sort.

Anything you guys could tell me would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Personally I wouldn't be jailbreaking yet, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Free:

Quota is a good app that will help you keep track of your internet usage.

Flashlight whites out your screen, so you can get a lot of light, why not?

PCalc Lite has more features than the default calculator, and quite a full featured conversion utility

Facebook, duh :P

Shazam listens to songs, and tells you what they are

CommBank app if youre with the commonwealth bank.

Google Earth if you feel like it.

iDaft if youre easily amused (let's you play that Daft Punk song)

eBay app for eBay

Bloomberg app if you happen to be interested in financial news

RunKeeper Free tracks your running, displays stats, routes taken, etc.

SpeedTest to see how fast your net is running, it keeps a handy log of all your tests too

Paid:

WifiTrack is a good app to get information on wifi networks nearby, not terribly necessary though.

IM+ for all your IMing needs. Supports push too, so even while doing other things on the phone you will be notified of IM mesages. This is one I would not at all hesitate to buy again.

MotionX GPS (I'm fairly sure this isn't free) is a rather full-featured GPS application, with an interface similar to a consumer GPS

Metro Melb for public transport timetables (or that'd be Metro Syd for you, wouldn't it?)

Peggle is an awesome game that sucks up a lot of time

Link4 is connect 4 that works perfectly over 3G.

Checkers is another game that works perfectly over 3G

Geared is a frustrating game involving trying to place gears in the right places to make things spin

Rob.

Edited by robzy

Thanks Rob, good list there.

In regards to GPS software for the iPhone, how does it work? You pay for the software and thats it? Or while using GPS software, does it use data aswell? I only have 150mb of Data per month.

Also, I have this connected over Wifi at home, but my speeds seem to be really bad. Any ideas? Using ADSL2+ but I only get speeds over around 30kb/s.

I was reading a thread on Whirlpool from over a year ago, where people mentioned they had the same problem, and it was due to the way the 3G iPhone handles international connections. Apparantly they got good speeds from local(AU) domains, but anything else was really slow. The thread seemed to end prematurely, so I didnt see if there was a fix or work around for it.

Cheers.

*EDIT* Also been looking at the possibility of connecting the phone to the net via usb (just for downloading apps and what not) but all the guides ive seen are rather confusing and require a jailbroken SSH enabled iPhone, is this still the case, or is there an easier way to do it?

Edited by nukejockey

In regards to GPS software for the iPhone, how does it work? You pay for the software and thats it? Or while using GPS software, does it use data aswell? I only have 150mb of Data per month.

There's three types of GPS software:-

1) Things like MotionX GPS which I mentioned, which just add a more complicated and more descriptive interface to the GPS hardware. Things like speed, altitude, etc. etc. No directions, and only very little in the way of maps.

2) The iPhone comes with a Maps application, powered by Google Maps. This application does download maps from the internet. It can give you directions, but not "turn by turn" directions, with a voice telling you where to go. It'll just give you a map showing your location, and the roads to take to your destination.

3) There are now 3rd party apps that do turn-by-turn direction, and I'm fairly sure these do not require internet to work, and have the maps inbuilt. They're costly, though, in the order of AUD$90.

Personally I'm more than happy with Option 2. I tend to use ~100MB a month, and included in that is the odd direction finding with Google Maps.

Also, I have this connected over Wifi at home, but my speeds seem to be really bad. Any ideas? Using ADSL2+ but I only get speeds over around 30kb/s.

I was reading a thread on Whirlpool from over a year ago, where people mentioned they had the same problem, and it was due to the way the 3G iPhone handles international connections. Apparantly they got good speeds from local(AU) domains, but anything else was really slow. The thread seemed to end prematurely, so I didnt see if there was a fix or work around for it.

Something strange is going on there, if you're connecting via wifi then it should be just about the same speed as any other computer on that connection. What might be going on is, simply, that the iPhone is a mobile processor, and therefore can be slowish when rendering pages.

*EDIT* Also been looking at the possibility of connecting the phone to the net via usb (just for downloading apps and what not) but all the guides ive seen are rather confusing and require a jailbroken SSH enabled iPhone, is this still the case, or is there an easier way to do it?

Hrm, that's a good question. Kinda reverse-tethering. You should be using WiFi for that, though.

Rob.

It's called "Wi-Fi" and it works really well.

:p

It's called "Wi-Fi" and it works really well.

:p

If you read my above post properly, you'd see that my wifi isnt getting very good speeds though, even though im on an adsl2+ connection connected at 18mbps.

There is an awesome free app I wrote, called GeoNote you should try out, especially if you have a 3GS :)

Dropbox is also awesome, it makes for sharing files between phone and computers very easy. Files you fav+ in the app are stored locally, so it is handy.

I store on it things like capacitor code tables, my resume, and a few other things. So if anyone asks me for my CV, it is as easy as asking what's your email and send it off there and then, since the file is on the phone already.

I find Flight Control, Paper Toss and Tetris to be very addictive.

EDIT: Shouldnt this be in Apple?

Edited by jamesski

I couldn't help but feel as though Flight Control lost its appeal too quickly. You play it a couple of times, and then its just repetitive.

EDIT: Shouldnt this be in Apple?

Either or :)

Rob.

Might come back and go through some of the apps I've got later.

For now, you can buy apps using iTunes on your computer, and then let iTunes take care of downloading the app then transferring it to your phone. ;-)

Bejewelled 2 you can compete with your facebook friend's on highscores with Bejewelled Blitz, it resets every week.

Doodle jump post scores straight to facebook or twitter.

Look for things on sale, you can get good bargains.

I couldn't help but feel as though Flight Control lost its appeal too quickly. You play it a couple of times, and then its just repetitive.

Rob.

I agree...

Isn't Sygic like $$80?

If you read my above post properly, you'd see that my wifi isnt getting very good speeds though, even though im on an adsl2+ connection connected at 18mbps.

o.0

So your internet is a decent speed, but accessing it over your local Wi-Fi is slow? I'm guessing 801.11a? I have N, but have it set to b and it's still a decent speed.

o.0

So your internet is a decent speed, but accessing it over your local Wi-Fi is slow? I'm guessing 801.11a? I have N, but have it set to b and it's still a decent speed.

There could be dozens of factors affecting it. How many other wireless devices you have connecting to the same access point? What kind of hardware are you using? Are you trying to go through walls? How many? AIMBOT also makes a good point about checking what kind of connection you're getting.

These would be networking issues, so you'd need to ask in the Networking forum.

congrats on the iPhone. I bagged them out for a looong time but with the release of the 3GS I decided I had to get one. Well, two, since I got one for my wife as well.

One thing to look out for with the facebook app that Rob mentioned. It's a great app (if you use FB obviously) but with the new release of the FB app I noticed it tries to sync your contact information with FB servers.

Within the app, go to 'Friends' and then tap 'Sync'. The first option (Syncing) you really should say a big fat NO to. Saying Yes to that hands FB a copy of your contact list. Which, imho, is fucked.

Also agree with Rob on Peggle. I love that shit. In fact I need to stop playing it in public because I think I get too into it, pumping fists at wins and throwing tantrums at misses.

If you jailbreak, I recommend Categories (allows you to put all of your app icons into folders), Categories SB, Pro-switcher, Winterboard for themes, fontswap, iRealSMS3, Mem Tool (to release ram), Open SSH (so you can FTP into your phone for themes, tones etc), SB settings (for quick easy access to enable/disable wifi etc) and heaps more.

The beauty of Blackra1n JB is if you need to return your phone under warranty, you can do a full restore and apparently there is no trace left of the phone having been JB'd. And it's really easy to do it.

Not that I am trying to encourage jailbreaking your new phone. I waited at least 2 days before I JB'd mine and then my wife's.

And I don't want to get your hopes up because if you have a 3GS made in week 42 or any later, chances are you would only be able to have a tethered jail break anyway. That would be a bit of a pain in the arse. I'd still do it myself, but it would give me the shits. (Apple made a change in the base-band (??) of the 3GS and from week 42 on, if you JB the phone, you need to re-JB it whenever it gets re-started. So when you firsty install a bunch of Cydia stuff that requires re-starts, you need to re-run Blackra1n. and after that you just don't let the battery die.

wow this post went way off track hey. all you wanted was some good apps.

Fling! Fling! is a fun little puzzle app!

I've been close to buying one over the hols, but I decided to wait 5 months for the next one and the appropriate tax involvement :)

Hmm, interesting story here:

I was told by the guy at telsuck that I was receiving a 3GS iphone, but apparantly its just a 3G. Might have to look over my contract and see if I have any legal standing to return it and swap for a 3GS.

Anyway, got that Canabalt game, and Flick Fishing, both are very fun and addictive. I heard some good things about a game called iDracula also, so I grabbed it for $1.19, seems pretty fun. Still struggling to get used to touch screen controls though. Doom (the original, not ressurection) is kinda cool, although for a 17 year old game, it slow downs quite a bit.

Few quick questions: When I press the home button, does the iPhone actually close the app, or does it stay in memory? If thats the case, how do I actually close the app properly?

Some good suggestions there too guys, cheers.

*EDIT* Network is 801.11g/b. Was sitting right next to the wireless router when I tried it too. However was downloading some stuff off the appstore last night and it was alot quicker, so problem seems to be solved.

Oh, also got "Let's Golf" That game is so much fun. The 3D capabilities of the iphone seem pretty awesome. Just for comparison, my girlfriend got a new Samsung Omnia HD, and that has a 3d car racing game on it. Looks/Runs horribly compared to 3D games on the iphone (doom ressurection looks especially good)

Any idea if there are any 3rd party peripheral devices coming out that you can plug in and use as a controller or something? Be cool if I could bluetooth my PS3 control to the iphone lol.

Cheers.

Edited by nukejockey

I was told by the guy at telsuck that I was receiving a 3GS iphone, but apparantly its just a 3G. Might have to look over my contract and see if I have any legal standing to return it and swap for a 3GS.

Anyway, got that Canabalt game, and Flick Fishing, both are very fun and addictive. I heard some good things about a game called iDracula also, so I grabbed it for $1.19, seems pretty fun. Still struggling to get used to touch screen controls though. Doom (the original, not ressurection) is kinda cool, although for a 17 year old game, it slow downs quite a bit.

Few quick questions: When I press the home button, does the iPhone actually close the app, or does it stay in memory? If thats the case, how do I actually close the app properly?

Some good suggestions there too guys, cheers.

*EDIT* Network is 801.11g/b. Was sitting right next to the wireless router when I tried it too. However was downloading some stuff off the appstore last night and it was alot quicker, so problem seems to be solved.

Oh, also got "Let's Gold" That game is so much fun. The 3D capabilities of the iphone seem pretty awesome. Just for comparison, my girlfriend got a new Samsung Omnia HD, and that has a 3d car racing game on it. Looks/Runs horribly compared to 3D games on the iphone (doom ressurection looks especially good)

Any idea if there are any 3rd party peripheral devices coming out that you can plug in and use as a controller or something? Be cool if I could bluetooth my PS3 control to the iphone lol.

Cheers.

The apps closes......and for controller that would mean Sony and Apple will have to get into bed together

How to tell the difference.

The writing on the back of the 3GS is silver, the 3G it's grey.

There's no compass App on the 3G.

Holding the home key down on the 3GS brings up the voice menu.

Current iPhones are an 8GB 3G in black and 16 or 32GB 3GS in black or white.

If you got a 16GB 3G it's old stock.

Ahh I see. Well I have an 8gb 3G...is it worth kicking up a fuss over?

Hell Yes you should be given the latest release of a product. Not some super-seeded piece of crap