Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
NukeJockey

Just got me an iPhone!

I get the feeling that because I chose an 8gb (at first I thought I had to pay an upfront fee, so I went with the 8gb coz it was the cheapest, but then I got told it was free on the 79 dollar cap, but I didnt even think to ask for the 16gb) they wont let me swap, wont be able to go in there to find out until thursday night anyway...

Ahh I see. Well I have an 8gb 3G...is it worth kicking up a fuss over?

According to the Optus website the 16GB 3GS is available for free on the exact same contract as the 8GB 3G.

I wouldn't be letting them hear the end of it until I had a 16GB 3GS in my hand.

And if they want to stop hearing about it, I'd go and speak to whoever the relevant ombudsman would be.

[edit]: I'm not quite sure I was clear, from what I read a 3G is unacceptable. It sounds like the salesman failed to explain that 8GB would mean a 3G, and left you under the impression that it would be a 3GS.

Rob.

Edited by robzy

Ahh I see. Well I have an 8gb 3G...is it worth kicking up a fuss over?

According to the Optus website the 16GB 3GS is available for free on the exact same contract as the 8GB 3G.

I wouldn't be letting them hear the end of it until I had a 16GB 3GS in my hand.

And if they want to stop hearing about it, I'd go and speak to whoever the relevant ombudsman would be.

[edit]: I'm not quite sure I was clear, from what I read a 3G is unacceptable. It sounds like the salesman failed to explain that 8GB would mean a 3G, and left you under the impression that it would be a 3GS.

Rob.

Was probably some Indian who didnt know difference

Was probably some Indian who didnt know difference

Don't take this the wrong way, but: Don't be a tool.

Rob.

But you have admit thought some people at Telco's need to be more informed about there Products.

That has nothing to do with being 'some Indian'.

The customer should be doing *some* research before they talk to the telco anyway.... A small amount of research would have revealed there is no such thing as an 8GB 3GS. nukejockey If you ordered an 8GB iPhone, you got what you ordered - a 3G.

That is a bummer though and you should try your hardest to upgrade to a 16GB 3GS.

And then you should get this!

I'll go in there on Thursday and have a talk to them i spose. I'm pretty bummed. Reason why I didnt research was because it was a spur of the moment thing (i was in the sopping centre when i decided on it) However, despite stupidity on my part, I am feeling pretty hard done by, as The guy should have informed me. Phone has screen protector/full body case, so its in perfect condition, anyone want to guess on my chances of a return/swap?

*EDIT* Also, anyone been able to get the NES emulator working? I've got it installed, but cant seem to get my roms to show up. have the rom (super punchout) in var/root/media/ROMs/NES as punch-out!!.nes.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Edited by nukejockey

This, just this.

If they balk at all on giving you a 3GS, let them know you are following the process as set out by the telecommunications ombudsman, and you'll be calling them next.

On a landline.

I've resolved two "impossible to fix" scenarios with Telstra once I mentioned the telco ombudsman. Not a guarantee, but it does improve your hit rate...

Thanks for the advice. Is it worth ringing up Telstra tomorrow? Or should I wait until I can actually go into the store on Thursday? (Thursday will be 1 week from when I got the phone)

If you signed a contract for an 8GB then you are basically stuffed.

Telstra is a rip off, you can get an 8GB on Vodafone free on a $49 cap ($300 calls etc 300MB data) or the 16GB 3GS free on a $69 cap ($400 calls 1GB data).

Telstra is a rip off, you can get an 8GB on Vodafone free on a $49 cap ($300 calls etc 300MB data) or the 16GB 3GS free on a $69 cap ($400 calls 1GB data).

Yep if it stated on the contract that you were getting a 3G then your pretty stuffed even if the sales person did say you were getting a 3GS.

Its all hear say,

Sigh. Guess I'll have to make do with it then. Does everything I want it to anyway....

Well does it say it that your getting a 3GS on the contract??

I'd still make a deal about it. The fucking wanker told you that you were getting a 3GS

Yep if it stated on the contract that you were getting a 3G then your pretty stuffed even if the sales person did say you were getting a 3GS.

I disagree.

I'm no lawyer, but if a salesmen left you under the impression that "sign here and you'll get a 3GS," and you don't get a 3GS - well that's an issue.

Rob.

Edited by robzy

Contract is a bit hard to read, looks like he hasnt printed everything on it. Also, my copy of the contract isnt signed at all. Though I did sign a contract at the store, I thought I would have gotten an exact copy of that one?

The receipt on the contract says Apple iPhone 8gb Black Handset. Contract Details on the receipt say:

Promotion: Telstra 3G Caps Consumer and

Plan: 49/24mth

The actual contract says:

Apple Iphone 3G 8GB on Next G

Okay, so looking on their site at the iphone plans. The 8gb iphone is free with the $79 cap and upwards. The 16gb 3GS is 169 dollars. Now, the reason I went with a $79 cap was because the phone was free, however, he didnt tell me that it was only 169 for the 16gb on the same plan. This really pisses me off. If I had have gone on the $99 cap, then I would have been able to get the 16gb for 59 dollars. or the 32gb for 199.

This is really starting to get to me, I feel like I've been given the short end of the stick here.

And the more I look into it, the more it seems like I'm going to be stuck with the 8gb.

*EDIT* I remember how the conversation went now too.

When I found out I could upgrade to a new plan, he asked me what sort of phone I wanted. I said An iPhone 3GS, and he said, okay the prices on them are 249 for the 8gb, 329 for the 16gb etc. So I said, okay the 8gb sounds good. He didnt bother to tell me that the 8gb wasnt 3GS though. Maybe I do have a leg to stand on?

Edited by nukejockey

When I found out I could upgrade to a new plan, he asked me what sort of phone I wanted. I said An iPhone 3GS, and he said, okay the prices on them are 249 for the 8gb, 329 for the 16gb etc. So I said, okay the 8gb sounds good. He didnt bother to tell me that the 8gb wasnt 3GS though. Maybe I do have a leg to stand on?

Again, I'm no lawyer, but I'd say so.

Rob.

Again, I'm no lawyer, but I'd say so.

Rob.

I disagree.

Try and prove it when they have a signed contract saying you agreed to an 8GB 3G.

From a legal standpoint, yeah, you're screwed. Doesn't mean there's no possibility of them changing the terms of the contract -- certianly there's no harm whatsoever in asking, all indignant-like. Say you asked specifically for a 3GS and that you were not informed that you would be receiving a 3G and they might just offer to bump you up. Or, of course, they might tell you to fuck off.

Also, $169 on an $80 plan? Fuck that!

From a legal standpoint, yeah, you're screwed. Doesn't mean there's no possibility of them changing the terms of the contract -- certianly there's no harm whatsoever in asking, all indignant-like. Say you asked specifically for a 3GS and that you were not informed that you would be receiving a 3G and they might just offer to bump you up. Or, of course, they might tell you to fuck off.

Also, $169 on an $80 plan? Fuck that!

Yeah, Telsuck are expensive, however they're the only mob I can get full coverage with.

Try and prove it when they have a signed contract saying you agreed to an 8GB 3G.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, but contract law isn't as simple as "they signed it, that's all there is to it."

Rob.

I’m sorry to hear you’re in a bit of a mess, but there’s an important lesion in here for us all; don’t impulse sign a 24 month contract!

I havent paid for anything. The 8gb is free, however if I had have known that the 8gb was only 3G and not 3GS, I would have opted to pay extra for the 16gb 3GS.