Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
NukeJockey

Just got me an iPhone!

I havent paid for anything. The 8gb is free, however if I had have known that the 8gb was only 3G and not 3GS, I would have opted to pay extra for the 16gb 3GS.

If I'm understanding the Optus website correctly then there is no extra to pay for the 16GB 3GS. It's exactly the same price - $0.

Rob.

I havent paid for anything. The 8gb is free, however if I had have known that the 8gb was only 3G and not 3GS, I would have opted to pay extra for the 16gb 3GS.

If I'm understanding the Optus website correctly then there is no extra to pay for the 16GB 3GS. It's exactly the same price - $0.
Which doesn't help him very much, since he's on Telstra.

Which doesn't help him very much, since he's on Telstra.

Argh! My bad. In that case it is $169.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/phones/iphone/pricing.html

Rob.

Can anyone confirm for me the battery life of an iphone?

I left it on my bedside table at about 10:30 last night and it was at 80% battery, came back at 2:30am and it was dead flat.

Had wireless off (accidentally left ssh on though)

Got everything switched off today, dimmed the screen right down, took it off the charger at 11:15am so in 2.5 hours its only gone down 9% in battery life, is it possible that having ssh enabled made it drain the battery that much quicker?

The iPhones are notorious with battery problems.

IE If you charge from a powerpoint (with the adapter) then the charge lasts longer than if you charge it from a USB port on a pc

I left it on my bedside table at about 10:30 last night and it was at 80% battery, came back at 2:30am and it was dead flat.

Got everything switched off today, dimmed the screen right down, took it off the charger at 11:15am so in 2.5 hours its only gone down 9% in battery life, is it possible that having ssh enabled made it drain the battery that much quicker?

I leave SSH on 24/7 and my battery lasts about 36 hours. I used to be vigilant in turning everything off but then I read what I thought was a good point regards SSH. Someone on the Mac Rumours forums said the battery drain is SFA and pointed out you're better to have SSH enabled if the phone locks up or craps out in some way and needs SSH to fix it. Better to have it on and not need it than to need it but not be able to turn it on.

On turning services like that on and off, do you have SBSettings installed (and the various SBSettings add-ons that you can get from Cydia)?

The iPhones are notorious with battery problems.

IE If you charge from a powerpoint (with the adapter) then the charge lasts longer than if you charge it from a USB port on a pc

Are you sure about that??

(the bit about the AC vs USB I mean) - I know the first line of your post is def true!

No, that's not okay. I'd suggest restoring to un-jailbroken status and seeing if the battery drain still persists. If it does, take it back.

Battery specs are here: http://www.apple.com/au/iphone/specs.html

Power and battery

* Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery

* Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter

* Talk time:

Up to 12 hours on 2G

Up to 5 hours on 3G

* Standby time: Up to 300 hours

* Internet use:

Up to 5 hours on 3G

Up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi

* Video playback: Up to 10 hours

* Audio playback: Up to 30 hours

Hmm okay, well im gonna restore to normal settings today and see what happens to the battery, if it still drains in less than 12 hours like it has been, then ill take it back.

Cheers.

(the bit about the AC vs USB I mean) - I know the first line of your post is def true!

I have not done any sort of extensive testing, but according to battery drain, the phone's charge drops 1% every 10 hours (In standby) after i have charged it with the AC where as it drops 3% every 10 hours (in standby) when charging from the usb

Have also heard several other reports confirming my suspicions

I have not done any sort of extensive testing, but according to battery drain, the phone's charge drops 1% every 10 hours (In standby) after i have charged it with the AC where as it drops 3% every 10 hours (in standby) when charging from the usb

And is that with in Flight mode..Because the phone cant last a 1000 Hours or 41 Days...........Your full of shit Edited by jamesski

My jailbroken iPhone has been sucking through the juice too.

Rob.

A lot of that juice may be being used on themes and other running background processes.

Optimisation of battery life is not one of the main features of jailbreaking.

I have not done any sort of extensive testing, but according to battery drain, the phone's charge drops 1% every 10 hours (In standby) after i have charged it with the AC
No it doesn't.

And is that with in Flight mode..Because the phone cant last a 1000 Hours or 41 Days...........Your full of shit

No, it isnt, and considering that i dont know you, your opinion means less than nothing to me. I know what MY phone does and doesnt do because I own the fucking thing. I said according to the battery drain Could be that my battery metre is fucked, could be that i have a freak battery, but thats what it says. Yeah, i know that apple says that it lasts 300 hours in standby, but this is what MY phone says. The point that i was trying to make is that the charge lasts longer when i charge from the AC than the usb.

No it doesn't.

Yes. It Does. Its my phone. I know what it does and doesnt do. Edited by SkItZo666

Lay off the weed.

Didn't you know that AC electrons are different to DC electrons, they are more in tune with the universe, I think it's orgone energy.

Maybe I can use this come April 1st.

;P~~~

My jailbroken iPhone has been sucking through the juice too.

Rob.

A lot of that juice may be being used on themes and other running background processes.

Optimisation of battery life is not one of the main features of jailbreaking.

Which is unfortunate, and it would appear difficult to change.

Rob.

Since I recently installed Backgrounder & Pro-Switcher (front-end for Backgrounder) for multi-tasking I can now quickly and easily shut down apps from running in the background (and vice versa - if I want to change the music on iPod without shutting down a game of peggle I can background Peggle, switch to iPod, change tunes, background the iPod and switch back to Peggle). I know this certainly improves the amount of free memory, but could it be possible that killing those apps also improves battery life? I *seem* to charge my iPhone less than I used to, but that is also likely due to not feeling the need to fiddle with the fucking thing every five minutes.....

I was using SBSETTINGS to kill process to clear up memory, but it didnt stop my battery draining fast. Restore phone to default and took it off charge around 4pm yesterday afternoon. Listened to some music and played some peggle/canabalt and battery is still around 70%.

Wonder what the problem could have been with the jailbreak...