andywells

Looking for Gamers who use AVG

I'm not from Melbourne, but I think it's safe to say that AVG has had a track record of deleting game .exe's as false positives. According to independent testing, AVG also lacks a high detection rate. But it would seem that in recent tests they have improved their false positive rating. AVG is quite good in terms of overhead though.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Well I am not in Melbourne, but I do game and use AVG. But I am not sure what that has to do with gaming, as I have never had a problem with antivirus interfering with gaming.

I'm looking at possibly doing a short interview with a handful of AVG users on this topic. In the past many gamers have

been put off some some internet security products getting in the way.

Personally I have not come across anyone with a gaming problem related to antivirus, with the exception being norton. But that is usually to do with the firewall part of the program rather than the antivirus part. So if we are talking about the firewall part of any antivirus package, then the problem usually lies with the failure of people changing the firewall settings to allow games to run online.

As in people either do not know how to configure their firewall, and fail to read the instructions on how to do so. Having said that norton has a reputation of doing what it thinks is good for the user rather than what the user wants/configures it to do.

But I have not heard of any such problems with AVG firewall.

Only problem I had with AVG is when an update they sent out caused AVG to think that iTunes was a virus and had to be quarantined.

Three re-installs later, AVG left quite a sour taste in my mouth.

Only problem I had with AVG is when an update they sent out caused AVG to think that iTunes was a virus and had to be quarantined.

Sounds reasonable to me :-p

Simple solution - just use the Exclude feature to tell it to not monitor your Games directory.

TBH, I suspect that AVG (at least) are automatically classifying cracks as Malware, which is another potential for trouble for those that use them.

I have used AVG since it was free and have gamed both online and off before that.

i have never had a false positive from AVG, nor have I ever had it, nor have I ever heard of it deleting game.exe's.

Edited by Guy Smiley

Have always used AVG and have never had a problem. And not that it makes any difference but I am in Melbourne.

the main problem I have with AVG, is that if i disable ANY features manually, it then complains its "NOT FUNCTIONING FULLY" or some shit in my system tray.

also, unlike Avira, it doesnt label the viruses it finds well. Where avira says something along the lines of "Cracker\Sniffer.Cain.exe" AVG just throws errors at me and tells me this is nasty kill it!

when better, lighter, and more configurable options are out there, its usually familiarity or ignorance that keeps users at another product.

i have been using it since avg6 only times its wanted to delete game exe is the odd crack or at a lan years ago when someone rocked up with a virus that would spread threw your exe files man was that fun :\

I live in Melbourne, and am currently using AVG 9.0 and playing both online games and single player games.

I have had no issues with it, except when using some Key Generators, because it detects it a a Trojan, which technically it is.

Apart from that, AVG is excellent.

the main problem I have with AVG, is that if i disable ANY features manually, it then complains its "NOT FUNCTIONING FULLY" or some shit in my system tray.

You can right-click -> "Ignore the state of this component" and that will stop this from happening.

As far as I know there was a bug which caused AVG to minimise full-screen applications every 20 minutes or so, but I haven't seen it myself and it seems as though it has been fixed.

The AVG Firewall is generally quite good and only has problems with network printers/scanners. I've never heard of AVG detecting a game exe as a trojan, although there have been a couple of false positives in the past which were pretty annoying -- the iTunes for one. Although the next update fixed that pretty quickly and if it was in the Virus Vault you could have restored it and it would have fixed the problem instantly.

Edited by turro