zoom_505

Win 7 32bit online gaming lag spikes.

I finally upgraded to win7 32bit from vista.

My main problem with win7 is the terrible lag i get when playing online games (wow) through a wireless connection. I never had this problem when i was running vista.

I downloaded WLAN Optimizer to run in the background and that doesnt really help me out :/

EDIT: i have also updated the wireless drivers.. downloaded from asus and through windows update.

What else could i try to lower my ping? thankyou in advance for your help!

Edited by zoom_505

First question, why wireless in first place? If possible, connect via normal LAN connection.

I assume you're using wireless because you can't physically connect the laptop/pc to the ADSL router.

First question, why wireless in first place? If possible, connect via normal LAN connection.

I assume you're using wireless because you can't physically connect the laptop/pc to the ADSL router.

Good question. My lan adapter has failed to start. It stopped working when i had vista installed. Same thing happened to my friend and when we both upgraded to win7 my lan adapter is still buggered.

I had no problems playing on the wireless connection before hand.

Just grab a new PCI or PCI-E network card, it will be the best soultion. I have mentioned before in other threads that gaming wirelessley causes lags at crucial moments.

They are cheap as chips, 10/100 PCI network card Internet Price: $8.00 Or if you want a PCI-E gigabit card,

Skymaster PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Network Card Internet Price: $29.00

The windows drivers kill my new motherboards network adapters, use the motherboard drivers (assuming it's onboard) and not update then through windows updates.

I've got the exact same problem mate.

I've googled my arse off about this and it comes down to the standard windows wireless utility.

I've got a Linksys PCI adaptor and can't for the life of me manage to install the Linksys wireless utility. If I could get that installed and disable the windows wireless utility, then we would be all good.

So pretty much, if you're stuck with the Windows one like me, you're just gonna have to put up with it. (And wait until Asus update their software for Win7.)

EDIT: Oh wait - Are you having constant lag or just random spikes?

Edited by bushi

Have you tried old drivers?. With my aging D-Link card, i had the same problems with vista, tried using vista wlan optimiser and no luck. I installed the original XP drivers, and now works a treat :).

Oh and btw, it is not possible for everyone to have a LAN connection... Some people rent and dont want cables running randomly in the house :P

Oh and btw, it is not possible for everyone to have a LAN connection... Some people rent and dont want cables running randomly in the house :P

We rent and use wired lan, what difference does it make if you rent for setting up a network ? You can run the cable around the edge of the wall, and most people have their modem close to their computer so a short cable would do unless you need to network more machines. :)

Have you tried old drivers?. With my aging D-Link card, i had the same problems with vista, tried using vista wlan optimiser and no luck. I installed the original XP drivers, and now works a treat :).

Or you could use ethernet over power to set up a wired LAN through your internal mains power cables.

While not as good as a proper wired LAN they tend to be more stable than wireless especially when it comes to gaming.

I've heard a lot of people whinge about wireless issues in Vista and Win7... some of it seems to come down to power saving issues, driver issues and a few other things.

Try changing the channel your wireless network is operating on. If that doesn't help, see what google throws up. Otherwise just avoid using wireless.

It's been 2 years since i had that problem i never really found a fix for it. All i ende dup doing was replacing my 4 year old router and my ageing wireless card and i dont get any problems at all now. I remember when i had a linksys adapter in my PC i would get lag spikes in windows XP unless i used Linksys's own WLAN application and then i never got any lag at all. Unfortunatly there is no real fix for this problem. I got it when i moved to vista and it went away when i upgraded all my gear. People say dont use wireless for gaming, but thats just wrong i game on wireless everyday and have don't have any problems. Although if i could choose i would go with a network cable instead, but wireless works fine for me.

Maybe take your PC to a mates house and see if you get the same problem on his wireless network?

Edited by smakme7757

One issue with wireless is power saving kicks in, and well turns off the power hungry wireless card ... unless it's a Dell laptop which turns off the wireless and the LAN port (a not-so wonderful feature of some Dells).

Edited by Jeruselem

if you get random spikes, to like 800 ping plus, depends what game ya playing they all seem to read different. I used to have this problem with wireless, go into start, all programs, accessories, run and type in "services.msc" adn stop umm shit, i only knew how to do this on xp, i have recently upgraded to win 7 aswell, and teh services have different names, it's one of the bottom 5 that ya stop anyway lol. I can't remember what it was called but apparently it was a windows thing for wlan that automically searches for more wlan connections at random times, so everytime ya open up windows i used to have to stop it but ya need it to get ya first connection so ya have to wait until it gets connected first.

Also what is your internet speeds? cause when i did this it didn't completely fix my problem as i was on 256/64 12GB a month which was fine, but the upload was shit, and apparently every couple of minutes ya have to upload info to the server in online gaming and that would cause lag with my low upload speed. But recently telstra updated there plans so i upgraded to 1500/256 with no more fee's or anything.

Hope this helps cheers chessnut

if you get random spikes, to like 800 ping plus, depends what game ya playing they all seem to read different. I used to have this problem with wireless, go into start, all programs, accessories, run and type in "services.msc" adn stop umm shit, i only knew how to do this on xp, i have recently upgraded to win 7 aswell, and teh services have different names, it's one of the bottom 5 that ya stop anyway lol. I can't remember what it was called but apparently it was a windows thing for wlan that automically searches for more wlan connections at random times, so everytime ya open up windows i used to have to stop it but ya need it to get ya first connection so ya have to wait until it gets connected first.

Also what is your internet speeds? cause when i did this it didn't completely fix my problem as i was on 256/64 12GB a month which was fine, but the upload was shit, and apparently every couple of minutes ya have to upload info to the server in online gaming and that would cause lag with my low upload speed. But recently telstra updated there plans so i upgraded to 1500/256 with no more fee's or anything.

Hope this helps cheers chessnut

WLAN Auto config? Or Wireless Zero Config in XP.

I would have replied earlier but i have been on holidays for nearly a week.

After pulling my hair out over this silly thing. I tried a few different drivers and managed to find one that works in my favour :)

As for my lan adapter i might have to send the laptop back to asus :/ sent it back not long ago to repair the screen cable.

After pulling my hair out over this silly thing. I tried a few different drivers and managed to find one that works in my favour :)

As for my lan adapter i might have to send the laptop back to asus :/ sent it back not long ago to repair the screen cable.

Ahhh it's a laptop ! you did not mention that lol, so installing a new network card is not possible. If it is still under warranty then send it back and get your lan fixed, but before you do make sure you back up all your files.

Ahhh it's a laptop ! you did not mention that lol, so installing a new network card is not possible. If it is still under warranty then send it back and get your lan fixed, but before you do make sure you back up all your files.

My bad :) its a laptop alright. My mate had the same problem with his laptop (same model) his NIC died and revived itself when he installed windows 7. I'm feeling stupid for not mentioning the NIC problem to ASUS when i recently took it in for screen cable repair :/ i assumed installing windows 7 would solve the problem *sigh*