iamthemaxx

Android Apps

FYI I have updated the OP with all of the suggestions, it's bit rough but I have organised it as best I can :)

My awesome app of awesomeness, gpspeedo, is on the market, go give me a good rating please :)

Posted Image

I've been using ADW.Launcher for a home replacement. It's similarly styled to the stock froyo launcher (by default), and has some pretty funky config options.

http://jbthemes.com/anderweb/

It's free, and open source, and used in the Cyanogenmod custom ROM.

Anyone found a decent music player?

I like the default one, but I'm interested to see what else is out there (prefer free).

I was using cubed (3 superscript) but I didn't like the ads appearing every so often. Otherwise I'd use it as my default.

Also tried TuneWiki, but same with the ads. I'll pay for it if I can't find a decent one.

Tried a few others but wasn't impressed with anything enough to mention them.

My picks are

Astrid Tasks

Zebra Xing Barcode scanner

XE currency converter

Demplayer

Dilbert Reader

Droidlive

Droidseries

Go! Sydney

Goggles

Google Sky

gStrings/Guitar Chordz

Homerun Battle3d

IMDB

LOL Sites

Robo Defense

Shopsavvy

Speedtest

Urbandictionary

Virgin Mobile Usage

Wifi Analyser

Anyone found a decent music player?

I like the default one, but I'm interested to see what else is out there (prefer free).

I was using cubed (3 superscript) but I didn't like the ads appearing every so often. Otherwise I'd use it as my default.

Also tried TuneWiki, but same with the ads. I'll pay for it if I can't find a decent one.

Tried a few others but wasn't impressed with anything enough to mention them.

I've found mixzing to be the best music player.

I just used Google Goggles properly instead of just for happy play fun!

My cousin is on MSN asking me why her webcam didn't work.

Turns out she has no drivers for it.

So I'm trying to help her out, but she can't find model numbers on it.

So I asked her to send me a pic.

Which she did, then I took a pic of the pic with the N1 and bingo!

Model found, which lead me to the drivers....

Google Goggles, awesome app :)

Awesome use of this app. That had never occured to me. Will definately keep that in mind if i run into a similar problem.

is there good free gps navigation app or do you need to buy tom tom or it's equivalent?

I've found the free built-in navigation to be good but unfortunately (for Australia) only available in US and UK so far. Hopefully it will be rolled out to Australia soon - at least to metro areas.

Get Google Maps BRUT from XDA Devs.. hacked to work in Aus, works well except going the wrong way around round abouts and turning from the wrong side of the road. but a bit of common sense fixes this pretty quick.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=630887

Alchemy

Got it through Morris and FAZZ, bloody addictive game where you combine elements.

I've got 266 out of 270 elements. Screwed if I can work out the last 4.

MotoTorchLED is really good if you a LED Flash

Automatic Task Killer is pretty good for a free app.

Chrome to Phone sends links from your Chrome browser to your phone. Haven't used it yet.

Tricorder - For Star Trek fans out there is pretty good.

Financisto is fucking TOPS for tracking your finances. Brilliantly simple and consistent interface, powerful but simple. Love it.

"Screen Off" locks your phone from the home screen - no need to wait for the phone to auto power off, or to press any hard buttons.

I think it was 99 US cents - which at the moment means AU$ 1.05.

MapMyRun (MapMyWalk) is great for recording any hikes, adding tags and photos, recording elevation, hike details, link to FaceBook status and twitter if you must. Also good for seeing where the hell you are :)

Swiftkey

My new favourite keyboard (sorry Swype). The keyboard will attempt to predict what word you will type next and learns from your previous messages. It's not free, but really good.

Android Agenda Widget

Useful, well presented, and highly customisable. It can display appointments/tasks from multiple calendars. I use it as a large widget on my main home screen.

Chrome to Phone

Froyo (2.2) users only. Send links directly to your phone via Firefox/Chrome in one click e.g. You can be on Google Maps looking for directions, send the directions to your phone which opens the link in Maps, then head out in your car. It's gold Jerry, gold! :)

I'd like something that's the inverse of Chrome to Phone, I'm often browsing on my phone, but find it very tedious to actually read articles on it, I'd love to be able to send the link to chrome on my laptop.

Dropbox has an android app. It's a file sync app that allows file syncing across multiple devices on just about any platform you can name. A must for uni students and anyone who uses more than one device regularly. Freebie has around 2gB space (more if you recommend it to other peoples). Paid version is about $100 per year for around 50gB of space. Killer feature? Full Versioning control and ability to backtrack back even over deleted or modified files. A freaking awesome app and HIGHLY recommended.

I'd like something that's the inverse of Chrome to Phone, I'm often browsing on my phone, but find it very tedious to actually read articles on it, I'd love to be able to send the link to chrome on my laptop.

While it's pretty easy to do this via the Share option i.e email it to yourself, I totally agree.

Okay, I've only just got my phone but I've found a few good apps already.

One thing with my usage is that I'm still using prepaid for my mobile credit. So, I try as much as possible to use 'offline' apps that I can download via Android Market whilst I'm on wifi and then use without having to access the 2G/3G network (which would burn through my credit).

Also, all these apps are free :-)

Aldiko: great ebook reader

Android-vnc-viewer: the name says it all

ConnectBot: ssh client

Classic Tetris: tetris game

Invadroid: Space Invaders clone

MapDroyd: Great offline street map software (you download the maps of the countries/areas you need to SD card and then all you need is a GPS connection- no data connection required)

Swiftkey

My new favourite keyboard (sorry Swype). The keyboard will attempt to predict what word you will type next and learns from your previous messages. It's not free, but really good.

swiftkey is great, I'm loving how since using it for a while now its getting real good and predicting what I'm writing.