iamthemaxx

Android Apps

I'd like something that's the inverse of Chrome to Phone, I'm often browsing on my phone, but find it very tedious to actually read articles on it, I'd love to be able to send the link to chrome on my laptop.

While it's pretty easy to do this via the Share option i.e email it to yourself, I totally agree.

Android2Cloud:

http://code.google.com/p/android2cloud/downloads/list

Does what I want.

I'd like something that's the inverse of Chrome to Phone, I'm often browsing on my phone, but find it very tedious to actually read articles on it, I'd love to be able to send the link to chrome on my laptop.

While it's pretty easy to do this via the Share option i.e email it to yourself, I totally agree.

Android2Cloud:

http://code.google.com/p/android2cloud/downloads/list

Does what I want.

You're quick! I just read about this and came to post it. I'll give it a go.

I've developed an Android app that lets you use the ZXing Barcode Scanner as if it were a traditional scanner that simply sends keystrokes to your PC.

Hrm, well, Android2Cloud does what I want, sometimes. They're having trouble with their google app account going over quota a lot. Seems that the quota gets used up fairly rapidly each day :(

Can set up your own google cloud server and run it that way too, have to fiddle about with the chrome extension but it does work more reliably, and if you don't tell anyone else your server ID, you should last for a while before getting over quota.

Cleaned up some new ones this week.

Skype.. FINALLY!!

Ventriloid - vent client for android!

Need for Speed Shift - not on the market yet, and there is a version for snapdragon, and one for others like the Galaxy S

Sydney Rail Beta - Slightly better than Go Sydney

Out of Milk - decent shopping list app.

Androstream - streams divx from VLC on wifi

A great app that is free at the moment is Video Caller Id.

You can set any video that you have (or shoot a video), and set it so that it plays when that caller rings.

I recommend this app highly. I suspect that this app will only remain free for a short while, it is so well done that it will be snapped up by a manufacturer, or there will be a charge for it when it is established.

Other apps that I think are great and that I have had no problem with are (using a Galaxy S, and sorry if they have been mentioned before):

Password Vault - exactly as the name suggests, easy to use and keeps all of your different user identities and passwords safe

Barcode Scanner - a must have to scan QR's (quick response) codes in AppBrain or Android Tapp for the app that you want, then go straight to the download page for that product in the market

Fast Reboot - reboots very quickly from the touch screen. A simulated reboot, but works very well and quickly. Android devices like to use memory, do not use fast reboot if you look at the memory and you have only 60-70MBs to spare. This is a good thing, as it means that many applications are locked and loaded for a fast retrieval. Look at the CPU usage of these programs. Yes, they are hogging memory, but their CPU usage is usually 0% if they are not in use. Use Fast Reboot only if slow down is very apparent. And afterwards, speeds will only increase as you load much used apps into memory. Eclair 2.1 can only access 326MB of the 512MBs of RAM that the Galaxy S has

Screen Off - a screen widget that locks the phone - one press on the widget and the phone locks down

Apps Organizer - (yes, it's spelt with a z instead of an s in proper language) - this is an apps folder. It looks at all of your apps, then you pick which apps go into which folder, apps and widgets can be assigned to multiple folders, so much used apps can be assigned to all folders if you want to. You can rename each folder and choose any image for the folder. It is very easy to do, and I have reduced my seven home screens down to three, freeing up plenty of space for future widgets

GPS Status - I think that this app makes the GPS in the phone much more accurate. Though I may be wrong, could be a placebo effect, it 's worth a try

Currency Converter - great and easy to use for converting currency

3G Watchdog - tells you approximately how much data that you have used in your monthly quota. It sits in the notification bar of the Galaxy S, and is very handy

MyBackup- a 30 day free trial version is available on the market (full price Pro version is US$4.99 or about AU$5.07), that backs up all of your data onto your sd card at regular intervals. A set and forget back up plan

Video Caller ID - works great, is free. You assign a video to all or some of your contacts, and it plays when they call, as well as their picture and number is displayed.

Edited to display more linkage

Edited by kungfutiger

anyone elses market a little different? i like it :)

Just checked- no change for me. I'm still on donut though...

2.1 here..

I'm meant to be getting 2.1 soon (hurry up LG Australia!). Maybe then I'll see some changes.

Market was updated this weekend for most things less than Froyo (it already has the updates), Added tabbed browsing and automatic updating among other things.

My Vodafone magic got the update while I was messing about with the stock 1.6 ROM yesterday, and I'm back on a custom 1.6 rom today which also got the update.

Yeah Winamp beta works really well.

In fact I forgot I installed it and when I paired my bluetooth stereo headset, it worked perfectly with the controls on them.

Only thing I wish it would do that the original one does is have the current song visible when it's locked. I guess I can use my headset controls for that though.

Never mind. It's an option in the settings. :D

Edited by morris

Got 1st smartphone ever a week ago, Samsung Galaxy S 16GB GT-I9000 through Optus on a cheap cap plan, downloaded the latest Samsung Kies Windows PC program that interfaces it which seems to work well: transfers media files etc. and updated firmware to Android 2.2 Froyo fine.

Been researching and trying out a few apps, here's my list of useful/interesting ones so far:

1) TuneIn Radio – Can access a local am radio I quite like, and a big range of cool others.

2) Knots Guide – An ok-looking rope knot reference.

3) Scanner Radio – Tried Police Scanner Radio Scanner (by Berobo) for a while but it seemed to be buggy with audio output levels. Scanner Radio seems better with some more settings controls.

4) GPS Test – Haven't used it much, will examine it's data in a wider range of locations over the coming months & evaluate better.

5) Dictionary.com

6) Metallica Wallpapers – Seems good – pretty simple, good range of pics.

7) Converter – Metric/Imperial measurement etc. converter that seems useful.

8) Tide Prediction – Pretty basic graphical interface but seems simple and useful.

9) Australia TV Time – Looks like an ok Aussie FTA TV program guide.

10) Trapster – Such a good idea for an app, works pretty well it seems, will use it over the coming months more and better evaluate, tho does use the battery pretty fast.

11) Dolphin Browser HD – Tabbed web browser that seems ok.

12) Footy Scoreboard – Aussie major footy codes scores app that looks good, looking forward to NRL & Super Rugby seasons 2011 to test it out.

13) Barcode Scanner – Seems ok, if a bit gimicky.

14) 3G Watchdog – Seems to be quite useful.

15) Rings Extended – Just the thing I was after to give more control over allocating mp3 music files to notifications and ringtones easier etc.

16) Aussie Weather Radar

17) MMA Pro Fighter – Android version of a facebook game.

Sure is some interesting stuff out there in the world of Android Apps!

I like the idea of Trapster or some other functional similar well-designed app.

Though I have been experiencing issues running Trapster (in New South Wales, Australia, usually a few hours north of Sydney) on my Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 running Android 2.2 Froyo.DTJP5.

Using the older ver. of Trapster (from early Dec 2010) it seemed to work OK for the couple of trips I did, however after updating it to this newer ver. it rarely completely loads and pretty much freezes whilst apparently loading/generating the map & my location. Will research it more and try a few things to see if I can improve it.

ADW.Launcher - Changes the home screen layout and allows the app drawer style to be changed as well.

Widget locker - handy app that allows you to change the unlock screen for your phone to many other styles ie iphone or senseUI

Barcode scanner - easier way of getting apps

3G watchdog - handy for monitoring data usage

Better keyboard - keyboard app with loads of themes. much better that the swype keyboard imo. autocorrection is really good and it has loads of options.

SMS popup - MUCH better SMS handling app. allows quick replying and better usuability

Bestube - Youtube video downloading app. it works, but its not the best app

advanced task killer - decent app for killing background tasks that are hogging memory

Mercury Messenger - really good MSN messenger app with loads of neat features

tagged - fairly crappy app to give access to the tagged social networking site.

Also got the one click lag fix installed (as i own a Galaxy S) and i must say its worth it if youve already rooted your phone :D

Edited by Spider-Man

Air Control - neat game where you become an air traffic controller.

AppBrain - better than the Market, recommends apps as well.

Bartender - basically a recipe book for drinks.

Bubble Blast 2 - another simple yet challenging game.

Chomp - Relatively new app provides better app suggestions and sorting based on popularity.

HeyTell - another newish one. Provides walkie-talkie functionality for free. It does use internet, either wifi or 3G, though so watch your data usage.

There is only one really decent RDP client that I have found and it is free:

2x client

Beats the crap out of any of the "lite" offerings on the market and also has most of the features of the other full ones.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Angry Birds.

Cause everyone already has it.

Yes, Everyone has it these days.

My Application list: http://www.appbrain.com/user/2SHY/

If i have to recommend one item from my list it is QR Droid Private. It can generate or interpret QR codes from the internet and anything on your phone. Much more powerful than the previous mentioned Bar Code Scanner.

Lookout Mobile Security is also really good virus scanner, free backup, scans downloads from market, missing device locater.. Really recommended. Quite good too.

Edited by 2SHY

An awesome app I've come across is Colorize Widgets by snowbee. Scrollable Widgets for a bunch of things. I use bookmarks, facebook, twitter and agenda Widgets.

Totally awesome for my tablet.

Two things:

Need to be running a better launcher than stock.(ADW, Zeam, launcher pro etc)

Doesn't work on gingerbread yet.

If i have to recommend one item from my list it is QR Droid Private. It can generate or interpret QR codes from the internet and anything on your phone. Much more powerful than the previous mentioned Bar Code Scanner.

Lookout Mobile Security is also really good virus scanner, free backup, scans downloads from market, missing device locater.. Really recommended. Quite good too.

Minimalist Text is awesome.

How's your set? I am playing around with it now.

Minimalist Text is awesome.

How's your set? I am playing around with it now.

I am not using it at the moment, when I was using it it was good. Very Customisable if you have the time to tweak it. Powerful if you can link it in with Tasker (Which I haven't bought yet). Now using SimiClock Widget which looks as good.