Sign in to follow this  
krustydeclownkool

Need an experts opinion :)

Afternoon all,

considering a new build for my pc, its gettin on a bit now so i feel its time to upgrade. Going to keep monitors, mouse, keyboard, and possibly case and psu if they are suitable. Been out of the game for a couple of years and as I suspect you all know, it changes very quickly!

my initial thoughts were:

Intel Core i7 920 Processor, 2.66GHz 45nm 4.8GT/s-QPI LGA-1366 8MB L3 Cache PCG-08 $349

first question bout this one, is why you would get it over say the one mentioned below

Intel Core i5 660 Processor, 3.33Ghz, 32nm 4MB L3 Cache, Socket LGA1156 Clarkdale Dual Core with Intel HD Graphic Hyper threading 4 73W TDP FSB 1333 3.6Ghz Turbo Mode

or even more to the point

Intel Core i7 860 Processor, 2.80Ghz, 8MB L3 Cache, Socket LGA1156 Lynnfield Quad Core 4 Thread Turbo Boost

why is the i7860 cheaper than the 920 even though it seems faster!?! Please fill me in or if you have a good link thatd be ace. Lay mans termbs would be hugely appreciated.

for a lesser price, the i5 seems to have a faster processor. Can someone please convince me Im making the right decision. Can the i7's be overclocked more, and is this easy to do on these?

Asus P6T MotherBoard - LGA1366, X58, 6DDR3, FSB1600(OC), RAID, GBLAN, 3xPCIE2.0, ATX

Corsair TR3X6G1600C8 6GB (3x 2GB XMS3) PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 RAM, 3x240-pin DIMMs, TRIPLE CHANNEL, Non ECC Unbuffered, 8-8-8-24, Matched XMS3 with Classic Heat Spreader. Support X58 (i7 Core) Intel Chipset Motherboard $250.59

Asus ATI HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5, PCI-E, 725/4000MHz, Dual DVI+ HDMI + DP, DX 11, support 3x monitors [EAH5850-2DIS-1GD5] $449

I have a soprano case with a 430w thermaltake PSU. Will this be suffice to just recycle both the case and psu for this system?

Finally, regarding the graphics card selection above. Now i know the mobo ive got picked out supports multiple GPUs. Im wondering whether itd be worth recycling the old card (sapphire radeon x850 series card) and combining it with another, or whether a single good quality card is a better bet? I use a dual monitor setup, with games on one monitor and movies on another. I am unsure of the limitations of combining cards and using multiple monitors so I thought Id ask.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

thanks in advance

Justin

The 430W Thermaltake OEM PSU would provide maybe 250W before crapping out, and probably under 200W reliably. So technically it might work. But I wouldn't risk it.

for games a overclocked i5 750 is the best value currently

you will want a new psu just think yourself lucky that one hasnt killed your pc before now

ati new cards support 3-6 monitors depending on the model

so you wont be using much from your old case maybe the optical drive is about it and there only $40

take a look here it covers a fair bit of what you want to know

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=13969

then just let us know your budget and what your looking at

Cheers for the quick reply. Budget probably going to max out around $1500.

Parts as mentioned before. Probably wont go that crazy with overclocking, just dont have time to work out the ins and outs of it all.

Would you suggest multiple graphics cards or just one?

Would like to stick with intel and have always been a fan of the asus mobos.

Should probably pick up a copy of windows 7 whilst im there as well I spose.

Let us know what you guys think

Finally, the prices quoted on this site are a lot cheaper than the ones I get locally. Is there a good place to get it all online for those prices?

Cheers

Justin

for games a overclocked i5 750 is the best value currently

you will want a new psu just think yourself lucky that one hasnt killed your pc before now

ati new cards support 3-6 monitors depending on the model

so you wont be using much from your old case maybe the optical drive is about it and there only $40

take a look here it covers a fair bit of what you want to know

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=13969

then just let us know your budget and what your looking at

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=21733

use this to find what stores have most the parts you want cheap

http://www.staticice.com.au/

in terms of upgradability, would i be better off getting the socket 1366 with a i7 920 and overclocking it? say if i wanted to upgrade the cpu down the track. or would I be better off getting 1156 860?

intel dosent have a great deal of upgradability its usually just get a new mb\cpu

but 32nm 6 core cpus are apparently coming to 1366 soon and may work on existing mb

no idea whats coming for 1156

860 imo isnt worth the extra over 750 for gaming ht doesnt really help so unless your going to be using this pc for other cpu intensive work aswell as gaming id make do with the 750

as for multiple gpu depends how much performance you want and that depends on what res monitor you will be using

intel dosent have a great deal of upgradability its usually just get a new mb\cpu

but 32nm 6 core cpus are apparently coming to 1366 soon and may work on existing mb

no idea whats coming for 1156

860 imo isnt worth the extra over 750 for gaming ht doesnt really help so unless your going to be using this pc for other cpu intensive work aswell as gaming id make do with the 750

as for multiple gpu depends how much performance you want and that depends on what res monitor you will be using

Hey mate,

Just want to say another quick thanks for all the help today.

Will drop the cpu back to the i5

Generally i try and run games on the highest res possible. Have a dual monitor setup, which no doubt is more taxing on the card with extended desktop, not clone.

So yer, at this point, basically trying to decide whether to go something like the XFX ATI HD 5850 or two HD4890 1GB. Would I notice a large difference between the two?

Finally, with the mobo Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P , does it support single, double and triple channel ddr3? and if so would it be worth getting trip channel ddr3 and is G.Skill a bad brand?

Cheers very much

Justin

p55 1156 mb are dual channel only x58 1366 are triple

5850 for sure dont bother with older cards

if your looking at three monitor gaming you may want a second 5850 down the track since gaming with two monitors doesnt work to well in most games

Seconding i5 750 & HD 5850 combo, excellent performance and value.

For PSU I would go with a Corsair HX 650, good warranty, modular, excellent efficiency and you'll be able to use it with two HD5850's down the track.