Sign in to follow this  
horizon011

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Pre Order/Beta Steam

Don't really expect BC2 to be a BF2 replacement, thems is big boots ta fill ya all.

However hopefully it will be good enough for a few months entertainment at least.

As for the possibility of pay for DLC, I think this is something PC gamers are going to have to get used to. It is something that will provide a slightly more consistent revenue stream to the developers and publishers. They save on initial development costs by making a "smaller" game then if it bombs they can drop it. If it succeeds and is profitable then they can milk it for all it's worth via pay for DLC.

A lot are probably going to whinge and moan about this but I actually have no real issue with it, especially if it keeps a good game alive for longer, so long as the original release of a game is not cut back to one map or something equally as stupid.

Don't really expect BC2 to be a BF2 replacement, thems is big boots ta fill ya all.

However hopefully it will be good enough for a few months entertainment at least.

As for the possibility of pay for DLC, I think this is something PC gamers are going to have to get used to. It is something that will provide a slightly more consistent revenue stream to the developers and publishers. They save on initial development costs by making a "smaller" game then if it bombs they can drop it. If it succeeds and is profitable then they can milk it for all it's worth via pay for DLC.

A lot are probably going to whinge and moan about this but I actually have no real issue with it, especially if it keeps a good game alive for longer, so long as the original release of a game is not cut back to one map or something equally as stupid.

Yep a bit much I think to expect it to be a BF2 replacement. But maybe on its own merits it might be fun for a bit. I know kids at my stepsons school are excited and they are 14 lol . . .

Interesting idea about DLC and making smaller games. Kinda like risk management. Dont know if we the consumer actually win in the end. But the positive argument is that it at least ensures games will be made. Finding the balance is important. Hope to God there is no overt in game advertising (ala BF2142).

Edited by GhostFaceKilla

DLC is definitely not going away anytime soon. WoW, L4D2, Borderlands, Dragon Age are just some of the titles that are doing this and I understand why. It not only lines the pockets of the publishers, but it still keeps the interest going in the gaming community. Honestly, anything that prolongs the longevity of a game, I am all for it. Think of it as patching on a larger scale.

BC2 looks interesting and I believe I am not too far away from pre-ordering. Whether or not it matches up to BF2 is yet to be seen, console port or not, it needs to tick a lot of boxes to match up to my 500 hours of gameplay with BF2.

On another note, IMO, Consoles are perfect for platformers and sports games (I love FIFA 10 on 360), but FPS title have no place in my mind on them - I may be old school harkening back to my old Quake days on BBS but nothing pwns like a Keyboard and Mouse on a spec'd out PC. I guess all I am saying is that both platforms have their place.

To the old [AC-DC] crew, I would be very happy to get on a BF2 server and relive our war stories very soon - the other morning was a refresher and has whet my appetite for some gritty grunt work!

500 hours of gameplay with BF2.

N00B

:P

Thought you had more than that up.

To the old [AC-DC] crew, I would be very happy to get on a BF2 server and relive our war stories very soon - the other morning was a refresher and has whet my appetite for some gritty grunt work!

Can still get me on Xfire as acdcaliali and am up for some BF2 when not playing Company of Heroes Blitzkrieg.

Or via steam atomic group as -{LD}-atomicali.

So I was reading some (admittedly old) news about the beta, and it looks like its only 1 map with 1 of the 5 game modes? Seems more like a glorified demo than a beta :P

BETA Details:

Beta Begins/Ends

Jan 28th/Feb 25th

Map Name

Port Valdez

Players

Game Mode

Rush

Environment

Snow

Theme

Vehicle and Infantry

Back Story

The battle for Port Valdez is fought alongside the waterline towards a great oil industrial landscape in the Alaskan mountains. Using basically everything they've got the Russian forces are launching an airborne assault to knock out the oil industries in the area. In their arsenal there are Main Battle Tanks as well as fast-moving Quad Bikes and mobile armored AA. It's a vehicle focused battle, but with plenty of infantry combat.

From here

Firstly index this is a pc gaming forum. FPS are far superior on PC over consoles.

Yes, except the Halo series was quite outstanding to some, did you ever think about a personal preference? You might think FPS is far superior on a PC while others think FPS on a console is far more superior.

I am not trying to be an ass but it really is a load of bull when one says, no its only PC when in fact yes, okay it is better to play on a PC but at the end of the day its what your used to and what your personal preference is.

I am yet to meet anyone who likes FPS's on a console.

Well that really depends what type of gamers you hang out with ;)

Edited by index680i

Well that really depends what type of games you hang out with ;)

I don't hang out with games anymore. I feel they contribute nothing to the relationship and I have to do all the darn work.

Well that really depends what type of games you hang out with ;)

I don't hang out with games anymore. I feel they contribute nothing to the relationship and I have to do all the darn work.

Sorry I made a simple mistake, I was to say Gamers ;)

:P

Gamespot article about BC2 here, orcone - no regenerative health ^.^

http://au.gamespot.com/ps3/action/battlefi...p;mode=previews

Looks like they only played the ps3 version, but its still sounding better and better. The gameplay vids I've seen of multiplayer look fantastic too.

Saw on a twitter post that EA is also hosting official dedicated servers in australia for the beta ^.^

Edited by nukejockey

Gamespot article about BC2 here, orcone - no regenerative health ^.^

http://au.gamespot.com/ps3/action/battlefi...p;mode=previews

Looks like they only played the ps3 version, but its still sounding better and better. The gameplay vids I've seen of multiplayer look fantastic too.

Saw on a twitter post that EA is also hosting official dedicated servers in australia for the beta ^.^

So getting this now.

It would be better if they made regenerating health a perk.

Now that just reeks of fantasy - BF was never fantasy but more about realism - regen has its place in WoW and Torchlight not in the BF/CoD worlds.

Its probably a good thing though. I remember the abysmal hitboxes that BF2 had and it was annoying to shoot the shit out of someone and then have them go behind cover :P

If they could regen from there without help, would be a pain in the ass.

Looking through more news stories (alot of them very old) it looks like EA took on board the problems the PS3 beta testers had with the game, which it seems is the reason the regenerating health was taken out, along with a myriad of other changes.

One thing I havent been able to find out, is the customisation of weapons/loadouts.

Theres 4 classes.

Assault

Support

Medic

Sniper

I'm wondering which of these 4 is going to let people use AT weapons?

My guess would be support.

Also, looking at the videos, the sniper rifles have been beefed up a fair bit from BF2 standards, more accuracy and higher calibre weaponry means its easier to kill people with them.

All in all, it really is looking(and sounding) like a great multiplayer experience(and the singleplayer doesnt sound too shabby either)

Seems more and more like this will be my replacement for Counter Strike Source.

Edited by nukejockey

i hope a large amount of people pre order this and jump on the GA ladder when it officially releases..

ill be pre ordering definetly..and so far ive noticed 1 other person..lets get the BETA server maxd out...

"One of the basic ideas behind [the first] Bad Company, which was a spin-off of Battlefield 2, was that we should do a console game," DICE's Patrick Bach and the game's executive producer tells us. "Therefore you think of how we can make it more accessible, how we can make it easier to use for the normal console gamer. We quite soon realised we were full of bullshit when we said that, because it's the same people; people want that same hardcore Battlefield PC experience but on a console. So what we did for Bad Company 2 is forget [the line] between PC and console and just make the best possible game that doesn't exclude the hardcore and doesn't exclude accessibility."

i hope a large amount of people pre order this and jump on the GA ladder when it officially releases..

ill be pre ordering definetly..and so far ive noticed 1 other person..lets get the BETA server maxd out...

I can tell this game is going to blow you away :)

Hopefully the beta preload starts shortly, I want to be able to play it as soon as its released to play. Should be some time late thursday night/early friday morning.