Sign in to follow this  
llmoose

DVD media

Ever since I was little I've always used DVD-R. Not sure why to be honest but I vaguely remember reading something that said -R was better for movies and stuff which is mostly what I burn. Right now I've run out of -R and have some +R lying around. Can I use them to burn DVDs OK? They work on my DVD player but thats a high-end one that plays everything so I'm not sure if it would work alright on my mates.

Same same, it's not DVD+R vs DVD-R ... it's the brand you buy. Buy cheap crappy brands and expect it not to last very long. Although, some devices are picky on what media they like to read.

Edited by Jeruselem

You may find some (usually older) dvd players don't like dvd-r disks too much, but that's pretty rare these days.

DVD+R can be bitset to DVD-ROM, which helps to fool these older players into working fine. So in that sense, DVD+R is actually better for DVD-Video. :)

These days though? It's all about brand.

Verbatim(-R preferred), Taiyo Yuden(-R preferred), TDK(+R only) is what i normally get. There are reasons why i choose those particular brands and formats - generally because i've tested hundreds of them. Not just tested to see if they work, or how many of them burn ok, but actual data accuracy tests.

DVD-R 16x verbatim is one of my favourite disks, along with Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8x disks. Most good burners will burn the TY disk at 12x.

DVD+R TDK 16x disks are good also, but -R are usually shitty. Sometimes even +R aren't that hot.

Any other brands i usually ignore. Though Sony disks are pretty good too, but usually overpriced, when i could just buy a verby instead.

Princo, Shintaro, or any other 'cheap' disk aren't worth your time, unless you only want a disk that'll last a week only. Want a good disk? Pay for a good disk.

Another vote for DVD-R 16x verbatim, it's all i ever use here as well. And I also use verbatim CD-R for music, they never let me down yet. :)

Verbatim -R is all I use now.

I learnt my lesson using cheap and nasty media.

+1

Mmmmmm Princo and Ritek, so dodgy.

People still use optical media? Man, I burnt a CD a few weeks ago for my olds, before that I can't remember when I bothered. The current install of WinXP on this machine is 11 months old, I don't have DVD burning software installed, I just don't have the need for it.

Mmmmmm Princo and Ritek, so dodgy.

I beg to differ. I've found that my DVD player loves Ritek G05's. I've used all kinds of media (sony, verbatim, tdk etc) over the years, they all failed. I've watched some movies that I burnt years ago without faulting. Now I'm only reflecting on what the RV-40 likes.

Mind you the Ritek's are only used for movies.

I must thank Caelum for introducing me to Taiyo Yuden's a few years ago. I use them for data. the only issue I have is that I cant get them locally.

I must thank Caelum for introducing me to Taiyo Yuden's a few years ago. I use them for data. the only issue I have is that I cant get them locally.

Ye that sucks doesn't it. And JPL Displays seem to charge like a wounded bull when it comes to freight, at least to Tassie.

Yeah, i used to buy all my TY media from JPL, but after doing a few DVD drive testing gigs, i've been given more media than i know what to do with...

Got countless amounts of TDK, TY, Verby and even about 50 exotic discs with gold reflective layers...

Refuse to use Ritek or Princo :P

There are so many people that swear by ritek... but after i've used, and tested the media, i know how it behaves. It doesn't behave well.

i agree that brand is what that matters.

the only difference i see between +R and -R is that my chipped ps2 only can play +R, not -R

dont really understand why, but i lived with it

Not only brand matters(TDK make some awesome and some SHIT media) but also the model, ie, +R, -R, and 8 or 16 speed media...

So, how do people rate Verbatim DVD+R, then? Should I switch to DVD-R next time? (Both Lightscribe models)

I've got no issues with MCC003 or MCC004, they're a good disc mate.

Edited by Caelum

i've been given more media than i know what to do with...

Got countless amounts of TDK, TY, Verby and even about 50 exotic discs with gold reflective layers...

would you like to start a FS in trademart----would love to get my hands on some more TY's.. :-)

p.s. sorry for the slight thread hijack

I've got no issues with MCC003 or MCC004, they're a good disc mate.

Cool :)

Thanks for that

(I'd had no problems, but always willing to learn)

i've been given more media than i know what to do with...

would you like to start a FS in trademart----would love to get my hands on some more TY's.. :-)

p.s. sorry for the slight thread hijack

I've mostly got samples mate, lots of small amounts, not really worth selling for only a few dollars... Maybe if i had a few hundred that i'd sell as a batch, but otherwise, they'll stay sitting in my media pen :)

my media pen :)

Ahhh the old school SPL crew. The few, the rare, that can say they have a dedicated media pen!

z

People still use optical media? Man, I burnt a CD a few weeks ago for my olds, before that I can't remember when I bothered. The current install of WinXP on this machine is 11 months old, I don't have DVD burning software installed, I just don't have the need for it.

Ditto.

I burn off a few for work - I use installation and diagnostic media fairly often and lose or damage them pretty frequently. Although pretty soon even that won't be necessary as most computers in use boot from USB now.

Haven't used it to back up movies for a while... although I should, it'd be a pain in the arse if I lost some of the movies & TV series I've bought. I kept waiting for the price on DL media to drop, and it never really did drop enough to satisfy me.

I find dual layer BD media very useful at times to get absolute shed-loads of data off my fileserver/torrent box and just "stash" when needed...

z