LordBug

Now these are some sexy DIY speakers!

I wonder at what frequency Granite resonates at? would be pretty inert though, especially compared to MDF :P

There have been a few commercial speakers to us materials like this, as well as some metals.

Edit:The Granite does look good :)

I might be nit-picking, but does that measurement of the frequency response in the chart go all the way to 20khz or only to about 12 or 15khz? Looks like 11khz...

Hay, Bug?

What kind of speakers do you have in mind?

Edited by datafast69

I've considered doing the same, a few years back.

My research indicated that there isn't enough 'give' in the stone to be a really top notch speaker cabinet material...

Ie, you don't want anything too weak(like 8mm MDF) or too strong(like stone), but something that is more towards the stronger side(hence, most use 18mm+ MDF).

I see that these guys have kind of combated this issue somewhat by using 3mm of asphalt on the inside of the box for dampening. Not such a silly idea, though i'm not sure how well it works, in this instance. You can see they also added in lots of padding as well.

Having said all of the above - it'd be great to make a pair like this, purely for the wank factor!

I guess it depends on if you want the box to sing along or not, Caelum.

A lot of designers design to take advantage of the resonance of the cabinet, I guess if it is going to be there It's best to approach it in such a way.

Mine are HD3 so they are pretty inert..

Edited by datafast69

They look nice.

Although I prefer a sealed box.

I made some out of 10mm perspex once but I think it needs to be about an inch thick to be really good.

They weren't too bad at the time.

I thought glass would be good too, it being almost a liquid!

I think a lot of the time It's the cost factor that dictates the material used, MDF is easy to work with and cheap.

Perspex, Logic? Interesting.

Glass wouldn't be mush good I think, would sing like a little girl :P

I joke :) I have no idea about the Glass but I think it would sing.

Edited by datafast69

I think the big question with perspex would be, how do you make the enclosures look attractive, but also still have adequate dampening?

Yeah, you could.

Might even look better if you did the frosting on the inside of the cabs, rather than the outside - gives a two-tone sort of look.

Assuming you're using thick enough material that you don't need to use any internal bracing.

Paint the inside and stuff it as per normal.

edit, - you can get it plenty thick and if you needed bracing you could use perspex rod.

I'm starting to get keen to try it!

Edited by LogicprObe

The plot thickens!

As do some of the materials :P

Edit: For bracing maybe use a different material so you aren't just transferring the vibrations at the same frequency.

If you can't remove the existence of vibrations in the first place, then you can alter them and move them elsewhere. As I understand it...

Edit:For better explanation.

Edit: Just thought of something, line the inside of the chamber with lead sheet :D It's not new and has been done before.

Edited by datafast69

I over-engineer everything!

Heh, I've been designing a headphone tube-hybrid amp in my head for the past day or so, and in trying to make it as cheap as possible I've been under-engineering things as much as possible.

I ended up with the cost of parts being $30 (well, more, but I already have some of the stuff) and I even judged that to be too expensive :P Being unemployed sucks.

Rob.

I over-engineer everything!

Heh, I've been designing a headphone tube-hybrid amp in my head for the past day or so, and in trying to make it as cheap as possible I've been under-engineering things as much as possible.

I ended up with the cost of parts being $30 (well, more, but I already have some of the stuff) and I even judged that to be too expensive :P Being unemployed sucks.

Rob.

The good old Chinese way!

"Robsy"? Really? :P

Thanks a lot for the link, that seems like a rather good price for a kit like that. Oatley Electronics list the individual tubes at $3 if you purchase spares with a kit, or $6.60 individually. Unfortunately at $6.60 I might be better off grabbing the $6 tubes I saw on eBay. Thank you again for the link, I'll fire off an email :)

Rob.

Bah!

What tubes were you after?

I've got thousands of them!

If they're cheapos I'll send you a couple!

(I'm a sucker for poor unemployed students......)

I've been looking at pretty much any low voltage tube for which I can find a preamp schematic for. (Just so that I know it's not totally unsuited to audio work)

While I really do appreciate the offer, I'll say no for now. Thank you a lot, but for now I'll look at it as "if I'm not willing to pony up a couple of dollars for tubes then I don't deserve a tube amp", heh.

Rob.