Charger770

Why wont it connect?

I am stumped.

I have a netgear modem/router/wireless as the base and an netgear access point attached to the base (via RJ45) about 20 Metres away. I have a wireless client with a linksys WN651G Wireless PCI adapter about 3 metres away from the base unit.

The wireless client will connect to the access point (through 4 brick walls and a steel garage door, but the signal is weak) however it will not connect to the wireless base unit. It sits there saying "acquiring internet address" for 5 minutes and then times out.

At the moment I have 4 wired clients attached and 2 Wireless clients attached without any problem.

Is there a router setting that prevents access to the base unit?

Any anyput would be appreciated

If you're using WEP and you put the wrong key in, it'll still connect and get stuck acquiring a new address, verify the passphrase in the Access Point, Wireless Router and the Client

I'd also turn the AP off while you figure out what's going on. It probably isn't causing any issues, but it's best to work with the simplest setup you can and then progressively add complexity one step at a time.

I've also seem wireless AP/router oddness like this resulting from different encryption type selection. AES worked, and TKIP didn't. Admittedly, this was over the phone with someone who was a little flustered, and they were using Vista and weren't very familiar with it, so it may not have been that at all, but keep it in mind as something you can try if you're desperate.

Would also suggest you check that only the main AP DHCP enables as it could be causing confusion. also try maybe turning off your security and see if that works. just to try work out whats causing the issue