d3c4y

Nothing.

Say no comment to everything if they decide to formally question you

Why say anything? We have the right to silence, don't we?

Yeah but IMHO they'd regard you as hiding something.

Your only acting suspicious if you ACT suspicious. Your allowed to not comment, and put it forward that your only doing so to protect your rights and to not put yourself in adverse circumstances when you've done nothing wrong.

Why say anything when we have the right to silence if arrested?

That's what I just said man.

No, it's different to what you said. You said to say no comment and to put it forward that you're only doing so to protect your rights. How do you do that if you're not saying anything? Write it down?

Say no comment to everything if they decide to formally question you

Why say anything? We have the right to silence, don't we?

Yeah but IMHO they'd regard you as hiding something.

Yeah I definitely see where you're coming from, but from my personal experience saying things doesn't usually help you out at all. But I guess that depends on the seriousness of the "crime".

I reckon I'd be better off telling the truth, saying I was an idiot, and asking if I could please apologise. Stress to them the overreaction that all this is.

Personally, I reckon that'd go down better than shutting my mouth and saying nothing.

Your only acting suspicious if you ACT suspicious. Your allowed to not comment, and put it forward that your only doing so to protect your rights and to not put yourself in adverse circumstances when you've done nothing wrong.

Why say anything when we have the right to silence if arrested?

That's what I just said man.

No, it's different to what you said. You said to say no comment and to put it forward that you're only doing so to protect your rights. How do you do that if you're not saying anything? Write it down?

Cmon, you know what I mean. Let's not get into semantics.

Um, giving no comment answers to police questioning will make them go after you with everything they've got. It might not be easy but they'll hate you for it.

Not really man. If you're going to be charged regardless, telling them your side will sometimes lead you to falsely incriminate yourself.

Sure, if you're going to be charged regardless. It's getting pretty extreme if you're being charged, and in that case a no comment interview might be useful - because they already think you might be guilty of a chargeable crime if they're charging you (and you might wanna save your comments for the court case).

In this case, they're just going to say "hello, we've had a complaint about you being a moron... " Admitting to being a moron is probably the best thing to do.

Edited by Kothos

Um, giving no comment answers to police questioning will make them go after you with everything they've got. It might not be easy but they'll hate you for it.

Not really man. If you're going to be charged regardless, telling them your side will sometimes lead you to falsely incriminate yourself.

Sure, if you're going to be charged regardless. It's getting pretty extreme if you're being charged, and in that case a no comment interview might be useful - because they already think you might be guilty of a chargeable crime if they're charging you.

In this case, they're just going to say "hello, we've had a complaint about you being a moron... " Admitting to being a moron is probably the best thing to do.

But in some circumstances admitting to being a moron will get you charged.

In response to "which law was broken", pretty much all Australian jurisdictions now have anti-stalking laws. The exact definition varies, but stalking generally involves contacting a person in some way when you have been told clearly that this person does not wish to be contacted. It can also involve following someone to intimidate and/or harass them. Whether or not you actually committed the stalking offence depends on your jurisdiction. As I said, each jurisdiction has a definition that varies slightly.

What you've typed is so vague that I could accuse people at my local shopping centre of stalking me.

Ultimately it's her word against his. There is no grounds for any charges to be laid.

I reckon I'd be better off telling the truth, saying I was an idiot, and asking if I could please apologise.

Apologise to who?

Am I wrong in assuming that apologising to the girl would be favourable?

I reckon I'd be better off telling the truth, saying I was an idiot, and asking if I could please apologise.

Apologise to who?

The boyfriend so he won't get belted! lol.

In some cases it's true that making an admission will lead to a charge being laid. However, in the circumstances, there isn't much you can say that would lead to you being charged.

Police have discretionary powers and they can choose not to charge you in this circumstance. Especially as there isn't much evidence anyway.

You can refuse to answer questions and refuse an interview. That's well within your rights. If you do this, no adverse inference can be drawn in court from your refusal to answer. However, police can (and frequently do) draw an adverse inference from your refusal to cooperate. This means that if another crime is committed in the area against some young woman, you may be on their list of people to question. If it's serious enough and you keep refusing, they can do many things to make your life hell until you cooperate. That's why it's best to maintain a good relationship with the local police; it'll prevent you from being targeted in the future. Especially as you really have nothing to hide.

The times when I'd advocate keeping your mouth shut are the times when you've actually done something serious or when you have information that could lead to you being implicated in something serious. If it's a minor thing, honesty really is the best policy.

Apologise to who?

Us for making such a long thread! :-p

@ the OP.

Seems like you've got a fair idea on how you should proceed, I hope it works out for you.

Tell your mate to pull his head in also.

You could try being straight with your folks, as well as the police. And whilst your in an apologising frame of mind,

include your folks in that as well. Surely they'd only kick you out if you behaved like you couldn't give a damn ?

They won't kick me out as such. It's more so the most trouble I will have ever been in, ever.

I know how to proceed I suppose, I was really just questioning whether or not the cops would even bother coming. Pretty much just wanted to know whether to worry or to relax.

Worry it is, based on all the previous posts I guess.

fuck.

They won't kick me out as such. It's more so the most trouble I will have ever been in, ever.

I know how to proceed I suppose, I was really just questioning whether or not the cops would even bother coming. Pretty much just wanted to know whether to worry or to relax.

fuck.

I'd relax if I were you. For all you know, they may not have bothered calling the cops. It's entirely possible that nothing at all will come of this.

Also, as long as you're honest, you probably won't be charged. The cops will probably just give you a stern talking-to to scare you into not doing it again.

That is, unless you come across some power-tripping fuckwit cops. In which case you'll have to negotiate with whoever ends up being the prosecutor.

Yup, legally unless something that might be related is going on the area you do not have much to worry about.

HOWEVER...

Yes, just a pair of idiots being idiots, no big deal but what if the lass and boyfriend are "connected"

You might wake up to your car smashed to pieces and bullets and a petrol bomb joining you in the house. What price some "fun" and a dead family, hummm?

This sort of thing does happen here in Oz these days. Well always has actually but in my day and my dad's it was usually limited to a severe beating with occassional permanent damage or the odd cut throat.

Sif you act like a tool with that mate, either you/him/both of you should grow up.

Maybe if hanging out with your mate leaves you making bad choices, it's time to move on in the relationship.

I can't understand where you thought stalking a girl around the streets was a good idea. Or that even hollering at girls out of cars was a good idea.

But it's already been said.

You deserve what ever is coming to you.

I don't know what you're worried about. Doesn't sound like you've done anything illegal to me on the face of it. Stupid maybe but nothing the police will worry about. They might come and speak to you, so what. What were your intentions? did you intend to harm or put fear in this girl? if it is an innocent stuff up, the police won't bother with it. It's not worth them wasting their time, however be prepared for them to make initial enquiries which may include a knock on the door. Take it on the chin, what's the worst a "talking to" will do? Besides, sounds like you've given yourself enough grief already Captain Paranoia.

fuck.

Won't do you any harm to worry. Way better than not GAF...

Time to grow up.

Wouldn't it look suspicious if you ask the police how to get in touch with her so that you could apologise, especially if she makes a staking complaint against you?

Wouldn't it look suspicious if you ask the police how to get in touch with her so that you could apologise, especially if she makes a staking complaint against you?

A "staking" complaint? hells bells, then he would be in the poo dear boy! ;)

Edited by Hypergumby

My parents will quite literally kick me out of the fucking house.

In that case, for your sake, I hope the polics don't come knocking. But only if you've properly learnt a lesson.

I have no experience nor knowledge with this what so ever, but the worst that could happen is the police might come down and have a word with you, but if you're honest and show your repentance I can't see it developing into anything more.

One novel option would be to go down to your local copshop and, perhaps, let them know what's happening and leave your mobile number. That might prevent your parents from finding out.

Oh, and the only reason I have any sympathy for you at all is because you seem to understand how foolish you were.

Rob.

A "staking" complaint? hells bells, then he would be in the poo dear boy! ;)

Here I am trying to put the wind up a young bloke and you come along and ruin all my fun. :D

Apologise to who?

The boyfriend so he won't get belted! lol.

He's Indian?