smakme7757

Pingtest.net - How is your line quality?

Rebuilding my pc. Huge downstream noise (62dB), saw this thread. I'll be testing soon , once i have:

Pingtest.net requires at least version 9 of Flash.

Please update your client.

Pingtest.net requires Java for packet loss testing, but it does not appear to be installed in your browser. Click here for assistance.

You're BOTH right!

bigpond nextg with full signal strength thanks to yagi from north central vic

Signal Strength: -65 (dBm)

Signal level(RSSI): 20

Quality(Ec/Io) -9.5 dB

Received Signal Code Power(RSCP): -71 dBm

canberra

Posted Image

new zealand

Posted Image

melb

Posted Image

dl speed from bigpond is currently ~150-250k often hit ~500-700 so things are a bit sluggish not that thats unusual for bigpond

ping to a bigpond game server using command prompt 144.140.154.119 64-87ms this is after opening a web page if i just ping something from idle net connection the ping is ~400ms it seems to kick up the speed when it detects a larger amount of traffic than just a few ping tests

edit

there we go things are running a little quicker this morning

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dasa

replaced bigpond 7.2 home network gateway with telstra ultimate usb (sierra aircard 312u) plugged into a tp-link mr3420

it will be interesting to see how much variance i get in speed at different times of day now

previously my pings could vary by ~40ms depending on the rout it takes when it first connects and could be fixed via rebooting the modem the modem till it found a good rout

but ipchicken no longer shows the rout its taking so maybe this problem is gone

my location is ~250k drive north of melb and we have a yagi on the roof to get decent reception to a local'ish tower

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so pings may have become a bit more consistent with any luck

but 12m dl 1.9m up and only a 15g cap for $80-100 a month lol so how quick could i blow this cap with dl and up going flat nack an hour?

and all that extra dl speed is kinda useless when bigpond unmetered content is only working at ~150-350k at the moment

Edited by Dasa

another modem update and another big drop in ping times

now using Bigpond 4G wifi Advanced (Netgear Aircard 782S)

best part is unlike the previous modem i get to use this one all the time being on a 8g $60 caped plan which free downloads from the bigpond steam server unlike the telstra nextg modem on a 3g plan which wouldnt let me swap sims with a bigpond modem...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

edit heh bowiee thought the last 1 year bump was a big one

edit getting better

Posted Image

i have seen the ping as low as 28 and the download as high as 12.9 but not all at the same time

antenna is now north facing which has dropped signal strength a little but may have improved download speed consistency

RSSI-88

ECIO-3-10

RSCP-88

edit well records were made to be smashed :)

telstra

melb Posted Image

but still its only one of the three not all three at once so inconsistant

syd Posted Image

ad Posted Image

optus

melb Posted Image

Edited by Dasa

Hmm

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm going to miss this when I go home.

Grats on moving to 4g tho' and getting some more data!

what are you going back to when you lose that connection? 4g modem but only have a next g tower to connect to still thats fast enough if only the data limit was higher there is a 4g tower ~25k away in echuca but it only provides reception for ~5-10k radius i have a old yagi and im not sure it is the correct frequency for 4g guess i will have to take a peak when i hop up on the roof to spin it around and see if one of the 4 towers around us provided more consistant speed

Edited by Dasa

I'll lose about 4Mbps and gain about 150ms or something (certainly nothing to sneeze at by AU standards <.>

Posted Image

Not a good day. I was getting 1ms and 0 ms jitter the other day.

Brand new house, new copper laid in, 900m from Exchange, 23Mbps sync speed, 15-18Mbps usually on Speedtest.net and I always select Internode everytime for comparisons sake. I do hit my max speeds of 1.8or so mbps when using Origin/Steam but...

Its not as good now of course as when I first got connected.

So this is Me, Adelaide to Adelaide.

Posted Image

Yet Sydney to Adelaide is..

Posted Image

Anyone...find this weird.? Why is Sydney better than Adelaide, TPG Re-routing my traffic through Sydney pipes...maybe?

I know nothing of the network routing my ISP (TPG) uses.

Edited by drawesome

4G has come to our backwater this is with no antenna yet currently have two bars reception

3854984754.png

109062585.png

but this doesnt really mater since telstra has shutdown the steam content servers there $105 a month for 15g is more like $105 per hour as thats all it takes to use up the cap and be limited to 64k which can take several tempts to just load the telstra web page

edit gave the 4g modem a quick run while in town today with full reception through the wifi connection on the phone

both upload and download started at 30mbps before dropping back to ~20 half way through

1033269069.png

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

Shit to hear about the Telstra steam server, but grats on finally getting some faster interwebs out there

NBN Fixed wirless im in love! from $105 15GB to $75 240g peak 2tb off peak

dropping the plan to 120\240g save $10 though as im not making good use of all that data​ with most my usage being netflix us (au netflix is free data)

speed is suposed to be 25\5 im not sure why its dipped under 25 on dl and gone way over on upload but thats fine by me

4536610801.png

127725677.png

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

Having any issues with congestion?

I didn't realise that fixed wireless nbn gave so much data, I'm a little less worried if that's what we end up with in a year or two

from my understanding it should just run the full 25mbps down that is the min and max speed but you can still get congestion further down the line

i guess the way they do that is to limit the number of people with acces to the tower

they are also trialling these higher speed plans in some areas 25–50/5–20 Mbps3

Anytime / Off Peak
120 GB/ 240GB $74.95

240 GB/ 6TB $84.95

600 GB/ 6TB $94.95

1.2 TB/ 6TB $114.95

Edited by Dasa